2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications n63tu possible HPFP failure

09-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #23
Momo122
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 14 f10 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klerin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo122 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
My wife have had several BMW's over the years. We like HP so 550i was our sweet spot. I of course preferred the smaller 3 series. Had a F30, great car, EBII and very fun. Got rid of it---go fig. Bounced around a little , picked E92 335xi , had fun tuning it, which is incredible but my son has it believe it or not but I miss it a little.

After picking up the 550i last March it's been nothing but trouble. I lost my patience and the fun in driving a BMW so I wanted something light and fast! Didn't feel like a M3/M4 yet as I felt it was too stiff and hard so I opted for something completely different and unknown hence the M235i. It put the fun back into driving as its currently stock … for the moment. I would need to work on the suspension a bit and tune it but I may hold off. It's great for now since I'm still in the honey moon stage so maybe down the road. Plus it's CPO so don't to ruin the warranty.

I hope you 550 works out its kinks and hiccups. It's just a poorly designed engine with a multitude of problems that seem endless. My wifes 14 550xi is ok at the moment with 69k on it. Just replaced 2 coils so far. No issue like mine was having so fingers crossed.

Good luck!!
Quote:
My wife have had several BMW's over the years. We like HP so 550i was our sweet spot. I of course preferred the smaller 3 series. Had a F30, great car, EBII and very fun. Got rid of it---go fig. Bounced around a little , picked E92 335xi , had fun tuning it, which is incredible but my son has it believe it or not but I miss it a little.

After picking up the 550i last March it's been nothing but trouble. I lost my patience and the fun in driving a BMW so I wanted something light and fast! Didn't feel like a M3/M4 yet as I felt it was too stiff and hard so I opted for something completely different and unknown hence the M235i. It put the fun back into driving as its currently stock … for the moment. I would need to work on the suspension a bit and tune it but I may hold off. It's great for now since I'm still in the honey moon stage so maybe down the road. Plus it's CPO so don't to ruin the warranty.

I hope you 550 works out its kinks and hiccups. It's just a poorly designed engine with a multitude of problems that seem endless. My wifes 14 550xi is ok at the moment with 69k on it. Just replaced 2 coils so far. No issue like mine was having so fingers crossed.

Good luck!!
I'm looking at a 2014 550. Should I be nervous owning a n63tu. I always here good and bad and I don't know how to feel about this.
The only other issue I had was a plug that went bad, but I've had that car since 25k miles and it's being a very smooth ownership.

seems like my HPFP issue was an isolated one since I haven't seen any other TU model have the same issue, at least here in the forum.

I would say buy with confidence and get a nice exhaust you won't regret it!
How many miles do you have on the car if you don't mind me asking?
76K right now
Thank you for the info I'll. Tryna rack up as much info as possible before I pull the trigger on it
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #24
Klerin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i M-sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!!
Quote:

Good luck!!
I'm looking at a 2014 550. Should I be nervous owning a n63tu. I always here good and bad and I don't know how to feel about this.
The only other issue I had was a plug that went bad, but I've had that car since 25k miles and it's being a very smooth ownership.

seems like my HPFP issue was an isolated one since I haven't seen any other TU model have the same issue, at least here in the forum.

76K right now
Thank you for the info I'll. Tryna rack up as much info as possible before I pull the trigger on it
as you should. you'll inevitably run into problems one day, as with any car out there. but at least from my experience, getting this much power and such reliability, it's well worth it.

just remember, 2 quarts of oil between oil change and be faithful to your oil!
Appreciate 2
Momo12210.50
      09-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #25
Momo122
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!!
Quote:

Good luck!!

76K right now
as you should. you'll inevitably run into problems one day, as with any car out there. but at least from my experience, getting this much power and such reliability, it's well worth it.

just remember, 2 quarts of oil between oil change and be faithful to your oil!
Thank you! Hopefully the one I get is not a drinker
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #26
Klerin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

yeah, just make sure you get a PPI and maintenance records!
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #27
Momo122
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
yeah, just make sure you get a PPI and maintenance records!
Will bmw do the ppi for free and the one I'm looking at has 59k miles but was first brought at bmw maintenance for an oil change at 39k miles
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #28
mswscco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

This might not be of any help to the OP but for anyone else coming across this thread in a search, BMW has extended the HPFP warranty on the n63tu engine as well. It's out to 10 years / 120,000 miles. I've had both of mine replaced. The first at about 58,000 miles and the other one at 79k.
      12-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #29
Klerin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswscco View Post
This might not be of any help to the OP but for anyone else coming across this thread in a search, BMW has extended the HPFP warranty on the n63tu engine as well. It's out to 10 years / 120,000 miles. I've had both of mine replaced. The first at about 58,000 miles and the other one at 79k.
Wow, didn't know. They were trying to charge me a lot to get it fixed. Definitely they did not mention anything about an extended warranty. Thanks for the tip! I hope it helps someone out there.
Appreciate 1