2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications JB4 and Back End Flash

08-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

JB4 and Back End Flash

so just been spending time researching tunes and what not and i came across quite a few YouTube videos on BEF's. i posted comments on the Youtuve channels but wanted to know for those here who know what this is all about. so is it basically guys running both JB4 and MHD together or is the flash from Burgertuning that you gotta pay for?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

actually found a pretty good YouTube video on this. anyone running this?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

the flash can be used from any company not MHD specific.
I used to have a similar setup on my N54 335 with Cobb and Jb4.
Now we have a lot of customers using BM3 + Jb4.

When running a similar setup, Jb4 will handle boost, methanol injection. the flash tune will take care of everything else (timing, afr,etc...). You also get to keep all the JB4 features (bluetooth control, changing settings/maps on the fly, gauge hijacking,etc..) and its additional safety checks (overboost and lean runs).

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

But ECU would have better safety than JB4. JB4 safety check is there because ECU doesn't know how much psi it is truly producing due being tricked.

Plus what he stated above if true and ECU will take care of everything by using flash tune than why not let it handle boost too lol.

But to help you answer your question.

You stack JB4 on top of MHD/BM3... Burger Tuning provided you with free BEF (Back end flash). You still have to purchase the MHD/BM3 license.

Last edited by ziekxq; 08-06-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so it looks like it's $300 for the MHD but you'll need to pay more for more maps? for $300 you get the basic map? if you want more maps I think you have to pay for each map $69 per?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
so it looks like it's $300 for the MHD but you'll need to pay more for more maps? for $300 you get the basic map? if you want more maps I think you have to pay for each map $69 per?
$300 + map pack for MHD. If you get Stage 2 map pack than that comes with stage 2 and stage 2+ maps. BM3 I believe made their maps free with purchase of their license.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
$300 + map pack for MHD. If you get Stage 2 map pack than that comes with stage 2 and stage 2+ maps. BM3 I believe made their maps free with purchase of their license.
I believe you are correct on the BM3 maps free with purchase. I think I read somewhere in the Commercial Marketplace it stated that...maybe Mike from XPH made a post about it. okay so about MHD that's what I thought. that's something down the road i'll look into as I need to first finish all the performance components...ie DP, CP, Intake and LIC.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
I believe you are correct on the BM3 maps free with purchase. I think I read somewhere in the Commercial Marketplace it stated that...maybe Mike from XPH made a post about it. okay so about MHD that's what I thought. that's something down the road i'll look into as I need to first finish all the performance components...ie DP, CP, Intake and LIC.
DP just get from eBay to be honest. Intake honestly I wouldn't brother... Just get k&n filter. My intake does nothing for me and after going PS2 the whistles went away. Maybe because of DV+. Not sure what is LIC is lol... If you mean FMIC than why not go G-Plus. If these options were out when I was building my car or I knew of them than I would of bought it vs the other expensive counter parts.

From what I can tell you only drive your car in summer and lock it up in winter so you don't have to worry about getting cheaper parts and worrying if they will get rusted. And even if they do get rusted than it is probably when your car is ready to be replaced anyways.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #9
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

With BM3, you purchase the flashing license and get 1 map included. Then you purchase the Map pack for $50 and it gives you access to every other map they have for your platform.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
ziekxq
Major
Rep

The only one reason why JB4 is handy and only if you already have JB4. It's for either port injection or meth controller. Most modern meth injection kits come with dedicated controller now a days so that really leaves port injection.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DP just get from eBay to be honest. Intake honestly I wouldn't brother... Just get k&n filter. My intake does nothing for me and after going PS2 the whistles went away. Maybe because of DV+. Not sure what is LIC is lol... If you mean FMIC than why not go G-Plus. If these options were out when I was building my car or I knew of them than I would of bought it vs the other expensive counter parts.

From what I can tell you only drive your car in summer and lock it up in winter so you don't have to worry about getting cheaper parts and worrying if they will get rusted. And even if they do get rusted than it is probably when your car is ready to be replaced anyways.
I was gonna get the K&N filter. For the DP I was going with VRSF along with their CP. The LIC is the lower intercooler charge pipe by ER. I forgot to mention that I will be going with the GPlus Intercooler. I always try to use quality parts within my budget whenever I can.

Yes, I only drive my car in the Spring, Summer and Fall. After that she hibernate until next year so she doesn't see any road salt.

So my goal is just to get the performance side of things done. I got a good deal on the JB4 and I wanted the Bluetooth app just so I can use it for switching maps and gauge displays on my Note9. And than finish off with the rest of the exhaust components and what not and call it a day. Since now that the car has been paid off I'm using the money towards getting the mods finished. That way I can start on my next dream car...Porsche...new Supra...maybe even the new Corvette? I dunno?
Appreciate 1
550bye1389.50
      08-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #12
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
I did JB4 last weekend and I definitely like the harder pulls. I want to try the E85 mixture this weekend and cross reference the butt dyno and charts. The app is the way to go just to have everything at your finger tips.

Good luck with the modding and I would say new Supra all the way!! If I didn't have a 15 year old wanting a car I would definitely start on my dream build, but the dreams will be on hold once again cause she has become all sorts of boujee and literally cussed me out when I said I was going to get an older Lexus IS300, guess she has caught the bimmer bug
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #13
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Is there any benefit of lower intercooler chargepipe?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there any benefit of lower intercooler chargepipe?
Back in the day hence my user name I had a turbo charged Acura Integra and all the IC piping was custom made which allowed better flow. I notice alot of our stock piping has quite a bit of restrictions so it's always good to replace those components with less restrictive piping. So it's good to upgrade any plastic piping as long as there's an aftermarket company who makes it for our cars within budget.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #15
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Back in the day hence my user name I had a turbo charged Acura Integra and all the IC piping was custom made which allowed better flow. I notice alot of our stock piping has quite a bit of restrictions so it's always good to replace those components with less restrictive piping. So it's good to upgrade any plastic piping as long as there's an aftermarket company who makes it for our cars within budget.
Fcp seems cheaper than ER LIC. I wonder if there is anyone running it and has review about it. I read and it seems like it suppose to help with throttle response and turbo lag, but I am not too sure lol.

FCP one looks like has bigger diameter:
https://www.amazon.com/Intercooler-B..._1565214874283

Vs

ER:
http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/317

Last edited by ziekxq; 08-07-2019 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fcp seems cheaper than ER LIC. I wonder if there is anyone running it and has review about it. I read and it seems like it suppose to help with throttle response and turbo lag, but I am not too sure lol.

FCP one looks like has bigger diameter:
https://www.amazon.com/Intercooler-B..._1565214874283

Vs

ER:
http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/317
Are you thinking both are the same cause the ER is the LIC and the FCP is the boost pipe
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #17
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Seems like LIC and boost pipe are same thing. Description seems identical to what they suppose to do. And I mean FTP, not FCP lol.

Does the LIC connect on the right side of the intercooler connecting to chargepipe?

Because the FTP boost pipe connecting on the left side. Look at the picture on FTP one on Amazon where it displays what pipe is being replaced.

Last edited by ziekxq; 08-07-2019 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seems like LIC and boost pipe are same thing. Description seems identical to what they suppose to do. And I mean FTP, not FCP lol.

Does the LIC connect on the right side of the intercooler connecting to chargepipe?

Because the FTP boost pipe connecting on the left side. Look at the picture on FTP one on Amazon where it displays what pipe is being replaced.
The boost pipe is on the left side of the diagram. The LIC is on the right
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #19
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
The boost pipe is on the left side of the diagram. The LIC is on the right
I don't know if that is true. Look at the description on the ER LIC it says from intercooler to turbo. Not intercooler to chargepipe.

Looks like Mod Bargain has incorrect description than.

If you look at above description of the pipe it says connects to charge pipe but if you go to link below it says connects to intercooler and turbo:

http://www.**********s.com/ER-Lower-...stomer-reviews

Just replace ****'s with mod bargains.

In any case looks like I got two more pipes to replace haha. And I hope it does something to throttle response and turbo lag rather than just two more expensive parts.

Last edited by ziekxq; 08-07-2019 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if that is true. Look at the description on the ER LIC it says from intercooler to turbo. Not intercooler to chargepipe.

Looks like Mod Bargain has incorrect description than.

If you look at above description of the pipe it says connects to charge pipe but if you go to link below it says connects to intercooler and turbo:

http://www.**********s.com/ER-Lower-...stomer-reviews

Just replace ****'s with mod bargains.

In any case looks like I got two more pipes to replace haha. And I hope it does something to throttle response and turbo lag rather than just two more expensive parts.
Looks like an error lol. But it does look like in fact two different pipes.
Appreciate 0