2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Night vision

08-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 m5

Night vision

Hey guys, I have a 2012 f10 m5, wondering if anyone has any insight why my night vision isn't work. A code errors comes up but I forgot what it says
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
That can have multiple reasons. Night vision stopped working on my M550d as well and when researching there are some common faults:
  • The unit in the pre-lci seems to lack sealing from the back and the electronics can oxidize
  • Stones can chip the glass in front of the camera
  • The camera has a heating element which can fail

In my car it was oxidation, unfortunately BMW didn't cover it under warranty (car was already 5 years old with over 100k miles). And a new module is well over 2k. I just didn't bother to replace it since I never used it anyway (the pre-lci didn't come with the light spot feature). Additionally my glass was broken and BMW quoted me 600€ just for the glass (2cm round glass in a plastic mount)...
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
That can have multiple reasons. Night vision stopped working on my M550d as well and when researching there are some common faults:
  • The unit in the pre-lci seems to lack sealing from the back and the electronics can oxidize
  • Stones can chip the glass in front of the camera
  • The camera has a heating element which can fail

In my car it was oxidation, unfortunately BMW didn't cover it under warranty (car was already 5 years old with over 100k miles). And a new module is well over 2k. I just didn't bother to replace it since I never used it anyway (the pre-lci didn't come with the light spot feature). Additionally my glass was broken and BMW quoted me 600€ just for the glass (2cm round glass in a plastic mount)...
Sounds about right. If it's that much definitely not worth fixing. Thanks for replying. I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinof10m5 View Post
Sounds about right. If it's that much definitely not worth fixing. Thanks for replying. I appreciate it
If I had an LCI I would consider it, unfortunately even my fully comprehensive insurace didn't pay for it (assistance systems are excluded, wtf changed the insurance company immediately after that). If you ordered night vision in an LCI, it can swivel the fog lights and extended the function to include a dynamic marker light which will light up detected pedestrians. Since the M5 doesn't have fog lights I guess the night vision is similar to the pre-lci. It just shows a picture in the dashboard. Not really worth it to get it repaired for 2k... If it's just the camera module I did see them pop up here and there for 400ish used, so you may want to look into ebay and the likes.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinof10m5 View Post
If I had an LCI I would consider it, unfortunately even my fully comprehensive insurace didn't pay for it (assistance systems are excluded, wtf changed the insurance company immediately after that). If you ordered night vision in an LCI, it can swivel the fog lights and extended the function to include a dynamic marker light which will light up detected pedestrians. Since the M5 doesn't have fog lights I guess the night vision is similar to the pre-lci. It just shows a picture in the dashboard. Not really worth it to get it repaired for 2k... If it's just the camera module I did see them pop up here and there for 400ish used, so you may want to look into ebay and the likes.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
ejrobert
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 535dx MSport

Night Vision Mounting Bracket

Hit a deer the other day...the good news is my NV camera is intact; bad news, lots of broken plastic and I have to do the repair myself...can anyone help me with the parts list? I've visited realoem.com and the only thing I can't seem to find is the plastic mounting bracket / housing that the camera actually sits in when mounted. Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0