2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Noise from front left brakes that fixes itself in reverse

11-07-2023, 05:13 PM   #1
tmw1212
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 528ixDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Noise from front left brakes that fixes itself in reverse

Hey all,

I just replaced brake pads, rotors, and sensors all the way around on my 2015 528ixDrive. I replaced the normal smooth rotors with drilled and slotted ones and I installed ceramic pads.

After I was done I bed the brakes in and drove around for about a week with no issue until last night there was a clunk from the front left brake and it started making a fairly aggressive speed-linked grinding noise that sounded like something was rubbing on each of the sloats when they came by. Additionally when you brake it feels like it is digging even further to each of the slots.

Due to the fact that I live 2.5 hours away from home since I am a college student I don't have any of my tools but I ended up borrowing some tools from an O'Reilly's and taking the wheel off to get a look at what's going on. It was by no means an in depth investigation since my tools were limited to a jack, a lug wrench, and a flathead screwdriver, but I was able to compress the piston in the caliper so that wasn't seized, and I could also move the pads up and down so they didn't seem to be seized either.

My biggest point of confusion comes from the fact that when I accelerate in reverse and then hit the brakes, the noise goes away completely until I brake too hard going forwards, at which point I have to go in reverse and brake again.

I really have no clue what's going on, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PS my VIN is: WBA5A7C55FG143171

Last edited by tmw1212; 11-07-2023 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Vehicle details
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #2
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Photos would have been great for reference, sometimes that noise happens when you install the new rotor onto a fairly rusty corroded Hub, you did brush and clean off or smooth it with Brake cleaner/PB and Brush before installing the new rotors? and Was the bolt that goes to mount the Rotor to the hub torqued down properly? Calipers properly compressed? All other hardware fastened down? Shims properly installed and you did use grease? Just making sure all the basic were checked off. Sometimes we forget! (I have before)
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
tmw1212
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 528ixDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Problem solved,

I must not have torqued the lower bolt on the caliper mounting bracket properly and it worked its way out. Bolt has been replaced and it is now working properly.

I appreciate your help!
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2023, 01:29 AM   #4
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw1212 View Post
Problem solved,

I must not have torqued the lower bolt on the caliper mounting bracket properly and it worked its way out. Bolt has been replaced and it is now working properly.

I appreciate your help!
Yup, I figured because it happens all to often and it happens quickly, I always double check everything before I know I am going to put the car down after some work. especially a brake job or anything suspension. Glad to hear you got it all dialed in, always glad to help a fellow 5er owner!
Appreciate 0