2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes F11 shocks advice needed

12-11-2023, 03:10 PM   #1
Dr.Factory
Rep
Drives: BMW 523i f11

F11 shocks advice needed

Hello, I have a 2012 523i f11 , with 170.000 kms, bought used .
Had the Classic "crashy ride" caused by worn stock shocks , rft 19" tyres, etc...
So far I have installed : 18" non rft Michelins , bilstein b4 shocks with stock front non-M springs and stock rear air bags , new shock top mounts , new bump stops (are they identical front and rear?) new front thrustarms .
The ride Is less crashy , but still uncomfortable : feels softs , still bodyrolls, and very very bouncy even at low Speed , Every single imperfection of the Road unsettles the car in abnormal way .
Static bounce test of the front shocks returns lots of bouncing with minimal effort , rears are slightly Better ....
I believe the shocks are defective , or Simply not suited to this car .
I have asked to return the shock but the shop claims that the warranty Is valid only if they leak (they don't) or of the piston does not return After depressed ( haven't removed them to check , only covered 4000 kms in them and they were bad since the beginning ).
Wrote an email to bilstein and waiting for response .
What do you think ?
I have made videos of static bounce test and will post them soon.
Any advice Is welcome .
I would consider buying other shocks , but I fear to make another mistake ...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

B4 is an OEM replacement, and it sounds like it is indeed mimicing the OEM ride. I've had a set of the firmer B6 shocks and struts on order for a couple of months, supposed to arrive before the end of December.

It sounds like a B6 is what you want. Mebbe you can sell the B4 kit on Ebay? Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 07:56 AM   #3
Dr.Factory
Rep
Drives: BMW 523i f11

https://streamable.com/20efy6

I knew they were supposed to be OEM replacement , but they look too much bouncy ... See video
Appreciate 0