2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum At-205 Fix For Turbo Rubber Seal?

02-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

At-205 Fix For Turbo Rubber Seal?

Turbo charger rubber seal seems to have a slow leak.
No computer warning, just found via visual inspection.

2012 BMW 550i xdrive 60,000 miles

I will attempt to temporarily seal it with At-205ATP Re-seal

Has anyone used it in a bimmer for similar reasons? Did it work?p as a temporary fix?

Actually I just added it to the oil, I haven’t driven it yet.

Here and there I found a few opinionated people arguing in favor and against it, but none from actual experience, only pure speculation.

I confess I did it but somehow a bit unease of potential unknown consequences as BMW’s manual warns against adding any additive to the oil, but most manufacturers will warn anyway due liabilities may be true for most warnings but not all (so I hope).

I did in the name of science, at least to I say that to minimize future criticism if it goes south.

Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
fastfreddie63
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi, AMG C63

Let us know how it works out. Cheaper than putting new seals in. Too much heat generation on that N63.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

Added at-205 ATP full 8 oz container

Driven almost 2,000 insterstate speeds from 50 miles to 110 mph, but mostly averaging 60 mph. it did floor it several times, mostly uphills up to 120 mph to have a good idea how the car was performing under high demand, I had done a lot other other preventive and maintenance work as well, so I can only describe a situation in which the vehicle seemed to be up to date with the basic maintenance, also 93 octane, fresh oil, and new air filters, ignition coils and spark plugs.

So far it has not caused any issues that I can tell, it did not trigger sensors or computer readings.

I cannot tell for sure, but it seems the slow leak is gone, but I also replace a few 1/2” cooling system hoses that were leaking.

In addition I sprayed some of the rubber hoses and seals with ATP 205, Apparently it adds life to it by reconditioning dried hoses and seals (rubber only - no gasket) it is said that will not damage gaskets, but if they are not rubber it will not be of any benefit (stating the obvious).

I sprayed most of the rubber seals I came across, I can tell that some squeaking noise disappeared all together.

I should warn you if you spray parts and hoses under the hood, once the engine gets hot the excess will burn up produce an unpleasant smell and smoke, better run the car for about 20 - 30 minutes outdoors with the hood opened and when the neighbors aren’t around.

So far so good, 2,000 miles later.
Gas consumption was on the high end, but since I floored the gas pedal uphill dozen of times, I can hardly blame the car.

I can’t add much more as I did not performed a more scientific test, it is all personal observation without any concrete reliable data collection. Unknow if it is wise or safe to use ATF-205 but I am pleased or at the very least not displeased.

I hope it helps
Appreciate 1
AWF10M5222.50
      08-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
gatordog72
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Update on your use of AT-205 for your turbo oil leak

So I know this was a while back, but I'm wondering what eventually happened with your use of the AT-205? I have an X5 with the N63 and have the turbo oil feed leak and holy crap that's a lot of work to replace it, or anywhere from $4k to $11k to get it done at the shop.

So was going to try the AT-205 just to see... but not sure of the unintended consequences. Wondering what your experience ended up being now that it's been, what, over a year?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 03:06 AM   #5
iujack
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Guys, I have a 2008 E90 2.0L. Had a leak (not a major leak) at the oil pan and the rear-end. With some hesitation but did some researches, I tried it. I pour 8ons (1 bottle) after an oil change, and both leakages stopped. And since 2.0L engine is really underpowered, a little bit of extra power was easily notified, and it happened. I noticed a bit of extra power was given back due to the seal up of some oxidised rubber gaskets and seals over the engine.

After then, I pour 1 bottle for every oil change. It is a plasticiser, the chemical then turns hard plastic pellets into soft rubber (plastic) gaskets. It doesn't melt the rubber or plastic, therefore it won't clog or gum up.

I am not a salesman, I am just sharing my experience. The leak was in 2017, it’s still the gaskets from 2008, and it’s 2022 now.
Appreciate 0