2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Power Stop 2-Piece Rotors

03-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
sszablya
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550xi

Power Stop 2-Piece Rotors

I searched around a bunch and didn't find any info on this-

Does anyone run Power Stop's OE 2-piece design rotors?

I ordered their brake kit from Summit last night. The website says they're on backorder. The price was around $700 for the full set. I'm assuming that's pads x8, rotors x4, hardware, and sensors. Their full-cast set was less than $450 for the same package.

I've used their full-cast rotors on my Audi and my MDX and been pleased with the performance, so I thought I'd give this kit a try. It's going on my 2011 F10 550ix.

I suppose I'm really wondering if this kit comes with front 2-piece rotors that are cross drilled, slotted, and floating? I found zero actual photographs online of this setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

For the 535 anyways you can also get Pagid two-piece from ECS and Rock Auto (significantly less expensive at Rock Auto).

I put the Pagids on the front in Dec - look like quality pieces. They are not drilled or slotted, but are two piece. They are the only two piece option I've seen for sale other than "BMW". I have found references that Zimmerman also makes a two piece version, but have never found someone who sells them, only the single piece version.

They are not true floating (like the M5 set up), but are two piece riveted same as factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
sszablya
Private
Rep

Well, the Z23 kit arrived at Summit Racing today, so hopefully they will be shipped out soon and I can get some pics up!

Thanks for the tip on the Pagid rotors. I had been shopping FCP and ECS for the rotors, when I started considering solid cast Power Stop rotors and went to their application guide.

The whole kit was $694 shipped, including taxes, using the $30 off coupon on the website.

As for Rock Auto, I'm sad to say they will not complete my order attempts, citing not having infrastructure to collect and remit taxes in my area. Quite a sad revelation. If I had known that was coming, I would have ordered a few years worth of parts for my three vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sszablya View Post
Well, the Z23 kit arrived at Summit Racing today, so hopefully they will be shipped out soon and I can get some pics up!

Thanks for the tip on the Pagid rotors. I had been shopping FCP and ECS for the rotors, when I started considering solid cast Power Stop rotors and went to their application guide.

The whole kit was $694 shipped, including taxes, using the $30 off coupon on the website.

As for Rock Auto, I'm sad to say they will not complete my order attempts, citing not having infrastructure to collect and remit taxes in my area. Quite a sad revelation. If I had known that was coming, I would have ordered a few years worth of parts for my three vehicles.
They alleged what?! Sounds odd.
      03-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
sszablya
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcali925 View Post
Quote:

I still cannot execute an order on RockAuto.

As far as I understand their explanation, it's because sales in my city require remittance of sales tax at the city and state levels, due to the Wayfair v. South Dakota.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout...._Wayfair,_Inc.

On another note- the arrival of my $700 brake package was disappointing. Apparently Power Stop shipped the wrong kit, resulting in me receiving only carbon ceramic brake pads.

A quick phone call to Summit Racing cleared this up and I'm told my brakes are being shipped direct from Power Stop. I'm still planning to post pictures upon their arrival.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Sorry man - you seem to be suffering from my typical "luck" when trying to do something simple like order brake parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:07 PM   #7
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW 535i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcali925 View Post
Quote:

I still cannot execute an order on RockAuto.

As far as I understand their explanation, it's because sales in my city require remittance of sales tax at the city and state levels, due to the Wayfair v. South Dakota.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout...._Wayfair,_Inc.

On another note- the arrival of my $700 brake package was disappointing. Apparently Power Stop shipped the wrong kit, resulting in me receiving only carbon ceramic brake pads.

A quick phone call to Summit Racing cleared this up and I'm told my brakes are being shipped direct from Power Stop. I'm still planning to post pictures upon their arrival.
That's crazy, never even heard of that. Still looking forward to seeing pictures. Kit ordered today. Should be here next week but I'm in no rush.
      04-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
sszablya
Private
Rep

Delayed order, again.
I received an order update from Summit this morning. The message indicates that the brake kit is being shipped directly from the manufacturer. The new expected shipping date is 5/7/20. If this holds true, the lead time from Power Stop will be a little over 2 months.

I can't imagine they get requests for 2-piece riveted rotors very frequently. Some delays are not at all unexpected.

I'm hoping they're making something super fantastic and nearly one-off for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:40 AM   #9
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Delayed order, again.
I received an order update from Summit this morning. The message indicates that the brake kit is being shipped directly from the manufacturer. The new expected shipping date is 5/7/20. If this holds true, the lead time from Power Stop will be a little over 2 months.

I can't imagine they get requests for 2-piece riveted rotors very frequently. Some delays are not at all unexpected.

I'm hoping they're making something super fantastic and nearly one-off for me.
Did you get these 2-piece rotors? Also interested in seeing pictures.
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Did you know that power stop is also a ebay vendor under the name brake motive? You can get this a HECK of a lot cheaper through ebay... The reason I know? I ordered these and the UPS address for the shipper is called "Power Stop".

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Did you know that power stop is also a ebay vendor under the name brake motive? You can get this a HECK of a lot cheaper through ebay... The reason I know? I ordered these and the UPS address for the shipper is called "Power Stop".
I think Power Stop is just the supplier for Brake Motive. Brake Motive sends Power Stop their specs, and Power Stop makes it, just like how Eibach makes the ACS springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #12
sszablya
Private
Rep

Delayed order, again.
I received an order update from Summit this morning. The message indicates that the brake kit is being shipped directly from the manufacturer. The new expected shipping date is 5/7/20.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Delayed order, again.
I received an order update from Summit this morning. The message indicates that the brake kit is being shipped directly from the manufacturer. The new expected shipping date is 5/7/20.
Woah, they're shipping it back through time!
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2021, 12:21 AM   #14
sszablya
Private
Rep

So, to follow up a long-ass time later. Power Stop no longer makes these 2-piece drilled or slotted rotors. I went through several rounds of trying to acquire them from Summit Racing and through Powerstop customer service. All promising leads were dead ends. I ended up buying cast single piece rotors from Brakenetic on eBay. They seem to be working well, with no obvious problems in 2.5k miles (haven’t done much driving since May, 2020).

I replaced my rotors because the factory rotors were done. I don’t know if there’s and appreciable performance difference between new Pagid rotors and the Brakenetic rotors I installed. I have not found the Brakenetic rotors to cause any sponginess when they’re cold, which is something I’ve experienced with other drilled rotors on other cars.

Because I don’t have a valid experience with new Pagid rotors, nor have I had the mileage to really test the Brakenetic rotors, I can’t provide a recommendation based on functionality. However, they look cool and they seem to have quality construction.

Please ignore my horribly disfigured garage floor. It’s an old garage built on expansive soil.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #15
sszablya
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Woah, they're shipping it back through time!
Great Scott! I am quite certain I submitted that post sometime around 5/2020. Wonder what happened there. At any rate, someone’s flux capacitor seems to have just kicked in!
Appreciate 0