2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New Recall Campaign Pending For Certain 550i's...

05-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

New Recall Campaign Pending For Certain 550i's...

Any other 550i drivers out there get word of this pending campaign for the electric auxiliary water pump serving the turbo's?

I haven't received any letter nor notification via my dealer as of yet (the info came to me oddly enough via a Carfax alert), so I ran my VIN at NHTSA's website (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues) and the following information came up:

Apr 18, 2018
Manufacturer Recall Number: NA
NHTSA Recall Number: 18V248
Recall Status: Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Summary

ELECTRIC AUXILIARY WATER PUMP FOR TURBOCHARGER: The issue involves the electric auxiliary water pump on the models equipped with 4-cylinder turbocharged engines (MINI) and 8- and 12-cylinder turbocharged engines (BMW). The auxiliary pump is controlled electronically by an engine control unit. After switching off the engine, the electric auxiliary water pump conducts heat away from the turbocharger. Under certain conditions, the pump's electronic circuit board can malfunction. The malfunction can occur as a result of certain design features in combination with high operating temperatures.

Safety Risk

If the pump's electronic circuit board malfunctions, it can overheat. In an extreme case, overheating of the circuit board can lead to smoldering of the water pump. If smoldering occurs, it cannot be excluded that this may also lead to an engine compartment or vehicle fire.

Remedy

The electric auxiliary water pump will be replaced on your vehicle.

Manufacturer's Notes

For additional information or assistance, please contact BMW Customer Relations and Services at 1-800-525-7417 or via Email at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com or MINI Customer Relations and Services at 1-866-825-1525 or at MINI.Assistance@askminiusa.com.

06-26-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Got mine today...on top of the fuel pump recall still pending. What next with this thing....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

11' 550i x Drive. Received my recall letter earlier this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The earliest my dealer has for a loaner is 7/11/18 and no eta on the solution for the fix. How long do they usually take to come up with the solutions for something as such? My cars been in for service several times and they didn't even make mention that there was a remedy finally available for the leaking fuel pump after me waiting 6+ months to hear back.
      07-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
ss2marc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Thanks for the heads up. I ran my vin to check it as well. All clear on my end. Out of curiosity would this be an issue with older model years of the F10?

2015 BMW 550xi, (Sold)
space gray, dakota venetian beige, Luxury, cold weather package, driver assistance plus, executive package, lighting package, luxury seating package, enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:41 PM   #6
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got my auxiliary pump recall done as one of the first. My SA told me that he didn't know who I talked to but BMW USA got my personal complaint and tweet and acted diligently in getting this and a few other issues resolved with my car. They had me in a 430i Gran Coupé loaner for about a week or so. Decent car but at $51k artificial leather is kinda unacceptable. Not complaining but glad to have my car back and not sardined into that tiny car.

SN: The programming on the auxiliary pump is still the same and the runtimes for it is still the same so if you are thinking that this will help alleviate some of the pump run-on times that kill the battery, that's still unresolved.
Attached Images