2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Test drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance today... Wow

08-10-2021, 06:28 AM   #23
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole1186 View Post
I'm curious why you think the model s Plaid is so boring?

First of all look at that interior... it looks like something from minority report lol. This is much nicer then the Model 3.

And I was just talking to a buddy today who just got one (might be letting me try it next week).. and he claims that all the issues I had with the model 3 was because I was in comfort mode and that the model s plaid he has handles very well and is very stable. That power and acceleration it has is straight up fun. I don't see any reason why it would be boring?

Because this is a household kitchen appliance not a car.
Can I go sleep in the trunk while it’s driving me?
Can I install a washer and dryer in the front compartment where the engine typically goes so I can do my laundry while stuck in traffic?
Will it just go get my kids on its own while I watch TV?
I’d rather just cut to the chase and order Uber.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9701.00
      08-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #24
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
It's like posting microwave test results in BBQ Grill forum
But that microwave is INSTANT! Grills can't even dream of being as fast!

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4261.50
      08-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #25
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
I thought Teslas were electric.

I’m fascinated by terms/expressions that are based on old technology but that people still say. I expect a lot of people will call the right/accelerator pedal the gas pedal even in electric cars.

Some other terms based on old tech:

Dial their number
Roll down the window
Turn the volume up
Did you call the Uber yet?
Full steam ahead

Anybody have any other ones?

Yeah, I know this is off-topic, but I’m bored waiting for a G83 allocation.
Totally off-topic...

But I'll indulge:

Hang up the phone
Filming
Roll down your windows
CC (carbon copy) an email

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #26
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:

First of all look at that interior... it looks like something from minority report lol. This is much nicer then the Model 3.

All I see looking at that interior is a Prius

I personally will probably pick up an M3P for my wife to drive soon, but going quickly in a straight line is different than enjoying the drive. Otherwise we would all be driving '86 Mustangs.

My reasoning for buying an electric vehicle is really about social conscience and concern about the state of the planet my children will inherit. It is not about going fast or enjoying the drive since I think that ICE vehicles do that part much better right now. I'm sure the majors will get that part figured out soon. Porsche has already made great improvements there.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #27
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

I personally will probably pick up an M3P for my wife to drive soon, but going quickly in a straight line is different than enjoying the drive. Otherwise we would all be driving '86 Mustangs.

My reasoning for buying an electric vehicle is really about social conscience and concern about the state of the planet my children will inherit. It is not about going fast or enjoying the drive since I think that ICE vehicles do that part much better right now. I'm sure the majors will get that part figured out soon. Porsche has already made great improvements there.
Only similarity i see is that they both have big screens
But only 1 is installed in the right direction
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #28
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Agreed, Toyota got it right since vertical shows direction of travel better when using navigation.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #29
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Agreed, Toyota got it right since vertical shows direction of travel better when using navigation.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #30
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
I'm curious why you think the model s Plaid is so boring?

And I was just talking to a buddy today who just got one (might be letting me try it next week).. and he claims that all the issues I had with the model 3 was because I was in comfort mode and that the model s plaid he has handles very well and is very stable. That power and acceleration it has is straight up fun. I don't see any reason why it would be boring?

Maybe people think it's boring because it doesn't make vroom vroom noises?

So if it's noise you wanna hear, record some of your favorite engines, put it in your phone, then hear it through your headphones on a loop while you're driving your electric car LOL.

Seriously though all jokes aside i get it why people have a tough time grasping the reality that is coming. But i think people need to experience it rather than judge from the sidelines. 2 years ago i said the same thing about teslas. Once i got to drive them i couldn't help but say, damn ok i get it now. Of course that moment i didn't want to admit it. I needed some time to soak it all in and finally accept it and say hey this is going to be all of us in 10-20 years from now, might as well give it a chance.

Now that the plaid is out, that set the bar so high. It was beating supercars on the track, not only can it in a straight line but on a course.

As time goes on, battery technology and charging speed will improve dramatically. The advancement we've gotten in the past 5 years will be double in speed. Meaning in 2 years from now, we would've advanced as fast as it took that technology to advance the past 5 years.

It's only going to get better from here. Might as well accept it. They're not going back. This is where we're going.
Appreciate 2
cole1186185.50
      08-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #31
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Funny, I'm waiting for the xDrive too and was tempted to rent a Tesla M3P on Turo for a few days to get a feel. I just turned in my F82 M4 this past weekend and kind of want to try some other cars before settling down with the M3. I was previously debating between the M3P and the M3 xDrive before settling in on the M3. Everyone tells me how fun the M3P is, but I can't imagine how fun it could be without the noise. I might do it though just to really see for myself this weekend, the going rate is about $120/day right now on Turo.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #32
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
Funny, I'm waiting for the xDrive too and was tempted to rent a Tesla M3P on Turo for a few days to get a feel. I just turned in my F82 M4 this past weekend and kind of want to try some other cars before settling down with the M3. I was previously debating between the M3P and the M3 xDrive before settling in on the M3. Everyone tells me how fun the M3P is, but I can't imagine how fun it could be without the noise. I might do it though just to really see for myself this weekend, the going rate is about $120/day right now on Turo.
Get both. Then put your M3P on turo for a weekend or 2 a month, that'll basically pay your monthly on that car, thus having a free car essentially. There's no "engine" to beat on or anything like that so it's the perfect car.

That's why i'm getting a model Y next year. I have enough cars but i'm going to commute with the Y during the week, then have it available on turo for the weekends. Whoever wants to rent it, can do so. And i'll basically have a free car to use.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #33
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
There is no engine noise... but there is also no oil leaks
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:59 PM   #34
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Maybe people think it's boring because it doesn't make vroom vroom noises?

So if it's noise you wanna hear, record some of your favorite engines, put it in your phone, then hear it through your headphones on a loop while you're driving your electric car LOL.

Seriously though all jokes aside i get it why people have a tough time grasping the reality that is coming. But i think people need to experience it rather than judge from the sidelines. 2 years ago i said the same thing about teslas. Once i got to drive them i couldn't help but say, damn ok i get it now. Of course that moment i didn't want to admit it. I needed some time to soak it all in and finally accept it and say hey this is going to be all of us in 10-20 years from now, might as well give it a chance.

Now that the plaid is out, that set the bar so high. It was beating supercars on the track, not only can it in a straight line but on a course.

As time goes on, battery technology and charging speed will improve dramatically. The advancement we've gotten in the past 5 years will be double in speed. Meaning in 2 years from now, we would've advanced as fast as it took that technology to advance the past 5 years.

It's only going to get better from here. Might as well accept it. They're not going back. This is where we're going.
100% agree.

I know most are poo-pooing these high-speed electric and hybrid cars today. But in the next 10 years, companies will figure out how to give us some interesting sound coupled with amazing performance, especially as the battery technology evolves (and batteries get lighter). And in 15 years, we'll have "regular" vehicles that will easily be able go 0 to 60 in less than 3 seconds (even if it's only once every 30 minutes) and will get 35 to 45 mpg, with impressive handling to match. And, again, the engineers will figure out the sound. Yes, it will be artificial sounds, but most will get over it....just like old school enthusiasts had to get used to traction control aiding launches, rev-matching, boosted turbo engines and more. All of this is "cheating" to an old school guy, because it's simply too easy to go fast now. No real skill, just computers aiding the entire experience.

We'll adjust our mindsets, as technology and engineering evolves. I love my E93 V8, which I will drive 'til it dies, but I can also appreciate my G82, which has a completely different experience. My G82: So much easier to go fast, way more capable, can actually carry 4 adults, all while being more efficient. Call me impressed. I can appreciate both cars, as they each capture a different moment in time showcasing the committed passion of BGE engineers.

And soon, regular commuter cars will be filled with screens (for rear passengers too), goo-gobs of torque and traction, increased automated driving capability, more safety aids and your choice of sounds (silence, space age, a NA engine, a turbo engine, a turbine - we'll have options! ), and we'll all complain about it. But when the light turns green, and the latest electric or hybrid Camry gaps our 2021 M3s , we'll swiftly adapt.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 10:17 PM   #35
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Not sure why we are comparing apples to kale?
At the end of the day it's an electric .
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9701.00
MTM3641.00
      08-10-2021, 11:52 PM   #36
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
I am not sure latest BEV is really that good for the environment.

E.g. battery production(including mining) costs 100kg emission per kWh, so 70kWh(e.g. Model 3 SR@250 miles of range) is 7000kg.

Also US electricity on average emits 417g/kWh per eia.gov, or 139g/mile(assuming 3 miles/kWh).

In comparison, a G20 330i(600+ miles of range) emits 211g/mile, or 72g/mile extra.

If these numbers are accurate, then a G20 330i will need to cross 100k miles to break even with a Model 3 SR.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 01:47 AM   #37
cole1186
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKGK20 View Post
Not sure why we are comparing apples to kale?
At the end of the day it's an electric .
Lol.

We're comparing cars right around the same price range that both go really fast.

The M3P isn't as great as the new M3 Xdrive (but it's also $20k cheaper) but the Model S Plaid is significantly better then anything out there right now for the price.
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
bwoodahl235.00
      08-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #38
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Lol.

We're comparing cars right around the same price range that both go really fast.

The M3P isn't as great as the new M3 Xdrive (but it's also $20k cheaper) but the Model S Plaid is significantly better then anything out there right now for the price.
Errm, is this thread some sort of paid promotion as part of the Tesla evangalist thing they do?

Don't get me wrong, there is lots of discussion of and comparison to other brands/models on here, but some of the replies seem a bit overly keen to convince those replying just how wonderful they are. Not being difficult but the Tesla guys have their own forums (on which some of the content verges on the creepy).
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      08-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #39
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I am not sure latest BEV is really that good for the environment.

E.g. battery production(including mining) costs 100kg emission per kWh, so 70kWh(e.g. Model 3 SR@250 miles of range) is 7000kg.

Also US electricity on average emits 417g/kWh per eia.gov, or 139g/mile(assuming 3 miles/kWh).

In comparison, a G20 330i(600+ miles of range) emits 211g/mile, or 72g/mile extra.

If these numbers are accurate, then a G20 330i will need to cross 100k miles to break even with a Model 3 SR.
Car & Driver's latest issue focuses on EV's and indicates they are actually worse for the environment up to a certain mileage. Some of their assumptions look to be very optimistic though so I suspect the breakeven points are on the low side. And their inevitable conclusion involves some circular reasoning which is not surprising. The 5 year cost of ownership also doesn't favor an EV right now, and that's especially true if you can't get or don't meet the income guidelines for the tax credit. Articles attached.

I don't buy the climate change groupthink but I have nothing against EV's, and in 10 years or a little less we'll be having a different conversation due to solid state batteries or some other advancement.
Attached Images

08-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #40
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Quote:

I get all that and don't know you personally or your lifestyle so what I am about to say is not directed at you. 99% of the people I know that buy Tesla's to save the world also live in 5,000sf or even much larger houses which require a lot of energy to maintain, consume a larger than average amount of disposable goods, etc., yet love to tell everyone how they are saving the planet. When in actuality, if they did an honest audit on the lifestyle, there's 10 things they can do ahead of buying a Tesla.

Again, not directed at you just what I've seen including from my Brother. :
Appreciate 5
Germanauto9701.00
Salespunk1745.00
ntg442888.50
      08-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #41
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Enjoy ICE while you can fellas. An EV will never provide the satisfaction of pulling paddles, hearing a response from the exhaust, and being truly lightweight (unless battery tech really advances). Great appliances, but lackluster as far as emotional driver's cars go.

Plus everybody owns a Tesla, it's an appliance in my eyes for the masses of people who would rather be doing anything but participating in the act of driving. I used to work for Tesla too, can confirm their clients are not car people. Fundamentally speaking, this company's goal is to eliminate the driver from the picture altogether.

Last edited by Germanauto; 08-11-2021 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
MTM3641.00
P111569.00
      08-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #42
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
I get all that and don't know you personally or your lifestyle so what I am about to say is not directed at you. 99% of the people I know that buy Tesla's to save the world also live in 5,000sf or even much larger houses which require a lot of energy to maintain, consume a larger than average amount of disposable goods, etc., yet love to tell everyone how they are saving the planet. When in actuality, if they did an honest audit on the lifestyle, there's 10 things they can do ahead of buying a Tesla.

Again, not directed at you just what I've seen including from my Brother. :
It's all virtue signaling and guilt-driven. In reality if people cared for the environment they would consume less. Smaller houses, fewer material possessions, more public transportation. This transition to EVs for consumer vehicles is not going to make a dent in climate change. There are so many other contributors that get overlooked because cars are low-hanging fruit and an easy target.

What's pushing this EV transition are a lot of deep pocketed individuals and companies lobbying for a new industry they can make billions of dollars from. The batteries and charging infrastructure have to come from somewhere. There's a whole supply chain with untapped potential.
Appreciate 2
Gfit2710.00
      08-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #43
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
It's just such uninvolved delivery of heat/speed it's boring.
Subway accelerates really fast but I don't get a hard on from that
Growing up in NYC I've seen TOO MANY people with hard ons on the subway.
Appreciate 3
      08-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #44
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's all virtue signaling and guilt-driven. In reality if people cared for the environment they would consume less. Smaller houses, fewer material possessions, more public transportation. This transition to EVs for consumer vehicles is not going to make a dent in climate change. There are so many other contributors that get overlooked because cars are low-hanging fruit and an easy target.

What's pushing this EV transition are a lot of deep pocketed individuals and companies lobbying for a new industry they can make billions of dollars from. The batteries and charging infrastructure have to come from somewhere. There's a whole supply chain with untapped potential.
Well said. It's the industrial sources of pollution that will never be checked sufficiently, which is fine with me since I HATE the environment.
Appreciate 0