2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Spotify Gremlins, iDrive and iPhone X- I think I fixed it - opinions wanted?

12-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
filmguyuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series GT

Talking Spotify Gremlins, iDrive and iPhone X- I think I fixed it - opinions wanted?

Hi, all.

I'm new to the forum - this is my first post having just picked up an F07 LCI 5 series GT. I've had it for about 4 days. Love the car but really struggling with Spotify+iDrive and the Connected Drive system. I'll park the Connected Drive issues for now because in all truth I'm unsure of the benefits of paying for it and not sure I fully understand what it does.

So when I first connected my iPhone X, Spotify loaded up on my ID4 and I was really impressed with the features. I loved being able to search for titles via the iDrive touch input controller. I had album artwork and all was going nicely.

Then the day after I plugged it in and couldn't get Spotify to load. What it would do is show the phone connected via USB and state in the top menu title Spotify USB in words but no interface, just the ability to skip back and forward. After some time on the phone with BMW, they told me it might be due to BMW Live issues. So I thought, give it a day or two.

So I was reading online in the intervening period and it seemed that the Connected Drive app, which BMW told me first open on the phone actually doesn't need to opened prior to launching the Spotify app. So I tried all manner of different things. No joy.

So I checked the versions of the software on the iDrive, performed with the file taken from the BMW update website via USB - again no difference. I went from MN 002.033.002 and TN 002.034.001 to MN 002.034.071 and TN 002.034.070 - the update also added ADD-ON HN 002.255.073. So I rolled it back to the previous version.

Then I spotted my iPhone needed an update, so upgraded to iOS 12.1.1. Still it refused to work, but with the updated iOS app I did notice something a bit weird. When the phone was plugged in and I went to see all opened apps by swiping from the bottom - there was a little box at the bottom of that screen which said Music USB out with the iTunes/Apple Music icon.

So my thought was to see if this was taking over the USB connection and stopping Spotify from loading or being detected by iDrive. In my previous car, a Skoda Octavia, Apple Music would also have priority when streaming music over Bluetooth - which was super annoying. So I backed up my phone and removed the Apple Music app because it seemed far easier then finding out how to restrict it from running, I then rebooted the phone. Powered it back up and connected my phone and boom, Spotify has worked correctly 5 out of 5 times.

I had really wanted some Carplay integration but know it's not an ID4 option and with Spotify working + BMWs amazing Pro Nav - I think I'm sorted. I mean I'll hold my hand up and say I'm 99% sure I don't know what the hell I'm doing - so I welcome other thoughts and opinions on this solution.

Last edited by filmguyuk; 12-10-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
filmguyuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series GT

And ironically - just like that - it bloody stopped working again! I'm sure it must be iOS at fault!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
feeling
Rep
Drives: 535D

I have the same issues with my F10 2015 535D Pro Nav + Spotify. Sometimes it loads the BMW Apps properly and gives me the full Spotify interface which allows searching + listing of new music in sections, adding as a fave etc, compared to when it doesn't load the BMW Apps properly and just gives me "USB Spotify" with skip and backward tracks.

I have found 7/10 times it just doesn't work, but to get around it there are 2 things you can do.

1) Unlock car, plug phone into USB connection, press the ignition to boot the electronics, give it a few seconds, foot on brake and start the engine. This method usually gives me the BMW Apps Spotify screen.

2) If on the go and you've already plugged it in, once at a set of lights, turn off the car fully, then repeat the above, press the ignition to boot the electronics, give it a few seconds, foot on brake and start the engine.

I have found it to be a NBT (BMW issue) than iPhone as I had a 2016 BMW M135i previous with Pro Nav which was the EVO (NBT2) unit which loaded the BMW Apps first time every time, it was bliss.

535D M Sport LCI - 3.0L N57D30T1 | 313PS | 630NM
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeling View Post
I have the same issues with my F10 2015 535D Pro Nav + Spotify. Sometimes it loads the BMW Apps properly and gives me the full Spotify interface which allows searching + listing of new music in sections, adding as a fave etc, compared to when it doesn't load the BMW Apps properly and just gives me "USB Spotify" with skip and backward tracks.

I have found 7/10 times it just doesn't work, but to get around it there are 2 things you can do.

1) Unlock car, plug phone into USB connection, press the ignition to boot the electronics, give it a few seconds, foot on brake and start the engine. This method usually gives me the BMW Apps Spotify screen.

2) If on the go and you've already plugged it in, once at a set of lights, turn off the car fully, then repeat the above, press the ignition to boot the electronics, give it a few seconds, foot on brake and start the engine.

I have found it to be a NBT (BMW issue) than iPhone as I had a 2016 BMW M135i previous with Pro Nav which was the EVO (NBT2) unit which loaded the BMW Apps first time every time, it was bliss.
I can confirm that works. I hate sitting in the car for a half minute or so, but it beats the alternative!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
mjump1220
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 528

I cant make a thread for some reason. I just joined today. Anyway i have a 2015 528. I have a note 9 and use spotify through Bluetooth as i am not sure how to download the spotify app on my head unit. When i first bought my car i never had issues with the bluetooth. For the last two months it has been driving me crazy. It plays then stops, plays then stops, sometimes doesn't even play. I have connected and unconnected my phone many times. Anyone have any idea how to fix this so it works 100% of the time?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjump1220 View Post
I cant make a thread for some reason. I just joined today. Anyway i have a 2015 528. I have a note 9 and use spotify through Bluetooth as i am not sure how to download the spotify app on my head unit. When i first bought my car i never had issues with the bluetooth. For the last two months it has been driving me crazy. It plays then stops, plays then stops, sometimes doesn't even play. I have connected and unconnected my phone many times. Anyone have any idea how to fix this so it works 100% of the time?
Apps won't download to the HU. You need to have the BMW APPS option (S6NRA) to access apps like Spotify, Amazon Music and Pandora through your phone. You also need the phone to be "hardwired" to the car with either a USB cable or the snap-in adapter.
Appreciate 0