2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Bootmod3 for F10 535i

10-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #177
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 N55 - EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLC View Post
Here's my review so far on my Bootmod3 experience. I have a 2011 PWG 535 with a stage 2 AGG tune. As all the reviews have mentioned already this totally transforms the car. Its insane how much better the car feels overall. It's like the car shed 1000lbs.

It's only been about 3 weeks but my observations so far:

My car is a 6spd and the stock clutch was not very happy after the first week with the Stage 2 tune. My car is higher mileage, about 110k miles, so slipping may be due to it being tired but I had no slippage with the stock tune. It doesn't slip in first or second (due to tire spin) but once it hooks in 3rd and 4th the clutch slips instantly at anything over 50% throttle. I've stopped using anything more than 50% throttle in the higher gears to save the clutch for the time being. The plan is to upgrade to a 550 clutch shortly. Im also going to try a stage 1 tune and see if the stock clutch can hold that.

Second observation is the burbles sound like trash with the factory exhaust. The sound is muffled so much by the oem mufflers that the pops and burbles don't sound nice at all. They sound like weird pops and puffs, almost like a baby spitting lol. I've turned off the burbles for the time being.

Unrelated to the tune, I also added a VRSF downpipe. As all the reviews say, it does not fit well. It took a lot of messing around for my mechanic to get it to seal properly. To my surprise the exhaust sound almost didn't change. I would say it's maybe 5-10% louder which really surprised me. There is a noticeable increase in smell with the cat less downpipe. Windows up, it's not noticeable but with the windows down you will smell it at a stoplight. What becomes very annoying and noticeable with a cat less downpipe is the wastegate rattle. On cold start it's become very loud and obnoxious, it makes it sound like there's a massive exhaust leak. Turning off the cold start feature significantly reduced the noise. It's still noticeable at times but cold start was the absolute worst.

I do have a little stumble at idle but I did also replace the oem spark plugs with the recommend NGK plugs. Im not sure if it's the tune or perhaps the plugs are not gapped correctly. I plan to double check the gap and see if that solves the problem.

Overall very satisfied and would highly recommend bootmod3 to all F10 owners.
Don't mess around with the 550 clutch on a stage 2. Upgrade your clutch and flywheel. My spec 3+ clutch and single steel mass will be done soon and I'll give a review. There's concern with rattle on a SMF but we shall see. There's a twin disk clutch that supposedly give stock feel but I'm not going that way. The 550 clutch will hold but your stock dual mass will not.

Also a stage 2 over the course of a year or so will kill your stock turbo. If you stick with stage 1 just get the 550 clutch and delete your CDV. If you go stage 2 upgrade you turbo, fmic, clutch and DMF
I've seen you post a few times about "killing" the turbo by running stage 2. I figure this is your experience with your PWG and why you went to ps2.

I have not read about anyone else having this issue. From the 2 and 3 series bm3/mhd threads no one else seems to be concerned with this. Many with lots of miles on bm3 stg2 and running more supporting mods than most f10 folk (port injection, higher octane, equaling higher boost)

Do you feel it's more related to pwg cars or just the n55 in general? What was your specific experience? As I have zero experience tuning this platform, just trying to understand.

I understand pushing factory equipment harder than designed will degrade useful life, but a year on stg2 seems extreme to kill a turbo.
      10-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #178
MatthewLC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

I would agree, I'm not too concerned with turbo life and a stage 2 tune. I haven't seen too many complaints but I also haven't looked into it. Regardless it'll give me a good excuse to upgrade lol

I'm also not in that big of a rush to upgrade the intercooler cause I can't really take full advantage of the new power with the clutch issue and I don't really beat on the car that much. I think I've done one full 1-4 pull with it so far.

I'm really curious to hear how you like the clutch and flywheel upgrade. I was planning to buy a new DMF when I upgrade the clutch as my flywheel is starting to get noisy. I would do single mass but I do not like the additional noises that are introduced. So I completely ruled out a SMF upgrade. For me, buying a new oem DMF is worth the price difference from a single mass to not have my car sound like a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #179
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
It's possible your gear may go longer. I pushed mine very hard on 2 different stage 2's.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #180
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
It's possible your gear may go longer. I pushed mine very hard on 2 different stage 2's.
Did something actually happen to your stock turbo?

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #181
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldze1025 View Post
Quote:
Did something actually happen to your stock turbo?
It died.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #182
t.otoole51
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i msport

Garage List
2011 BMW/535i  [0.00]
2011 BMW/535i  [0.00]
2011 BMW/535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNav View Post
I have a RaceChip ultimate on my car right now (2013 535i) but its only putting out 310 WHP and 344 WTQ with it... I'm curious about the BootMod but I wanna see dyno for the n55.
Just got Bootmod3 on a 2011 stock N55 F10 msport. Getting charge pipe replaced this week when the part comes in. While I have no clue what the 'actual' power gains are, it feels like a completely different car. Pulls far harder throughout the rev range (up to ~6k rpms anyway) and is especially noticeable on the highway. Highly recommended and I'm bummed I didn't do it earlier.

Would love to see dyno results for Stage 1 but the guys at protuningfreaks told me gains should be 50-60whp/tq. No clue if that's accurate but the power gain is very noticeable and the car is much more fun to drive aggressively now.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #183
jayster0966
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.otoole51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNav View Post
I have a RaceChip ultimate on my car right now (2013 535i) but its only putting out 310 WHP and 344 WTQ with it... I'm curious about the BootMod but I wanna see dyno for the n55.
Just got Bootmod3 on a 2011 stock N55 F10 msport. Getting charge pipe replaced this week when the part comes in. While I have no clue what the 'actual' power gains are, it feels like a completely different car. Pulls far harder throughout the rev range (up to ~6k rpms anyway) and is especially noticeable on the highway. Highly recommended and I'm bummed I didn't do it earlier.

Would love to see dyno results for Stage 1 but the guys at protuningfreaks told me gains should be 50-60whp/tq. No clue if that's accurate but the power gain is very noticeable and the car is much more fun to drive aggressively now.
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

results from my 535 pwg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #184
Dtex535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535i Msport

What’s up guys. I’ve already flashed my car to the stage 1 93 octane. I plan on flashing stage 2 tomorrow after I install my high flow cat as new plugs tonight. Just have a question, what’s the difference in the stage 2 93 octane flash and the stage 2 93 octane (agg) flash? Is it just more aggressive burbles?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #185
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

Just the burbles.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #186
Dtex535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer View Post
Just the burbles.
Awesome, thanks for the response. Appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #187
Casebrius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535 M-Sport; 95,97 E36 M3

Are any of these "less detectable" by a BMW dealer (Mission tuning or Bootmod)?
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #188
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 N55 - EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebrius View Post
Are any of these "less detectable" by a BMW dealer (Mission tuning or Bootmod)?
No.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #189
Dtex535
Private First Class
Rep

Just installed my er catless dp and flashed stage 2 93 octane map tonight. Car feels amazing!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #190
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtex535 View Post
Just installed my er catless dp and flashed stage 2 93 octane map tonight. Car feels amazing!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #191
thebillionheir
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettalker View Post
Anyone have this "delay" when at wot?
For example It feels like power is full on in 1st gear wot, and when it shifts to 2nd gear (still wot) there is a slight powerloss then it catches power again (kind a like a slingshot feel) and so on. In every gear. Doesnt seem to change weather the car is cold or hot. Doesnt feel like clutch slipping, it feels like im flooring it, then letting it go, and flooring it again but it feels like there is a slight throttle delay. Wasnt like thos before the tune, the car would shift clean and power would be co,tinuous delivery. I have the ots map with non burble.
I flashed my 2014 PWG this past weekend with OTS Stage 1 and I get this same issue. Did you ever figure it out?

Anybody else have this issue or can help me out? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #192
MatthewLC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayotik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettalker View Post
Anyone have this "delay" when at wot?
For example It feels like power is full on in 1st gear wot, and when it shifts to 2nd gear (still wot) there is a slight powerloss then it catches power again (kind a like a slingshot feel) and so on. In every gear. Doesnt seem to change weather the car is cold or hot. Doesnt feel like clutch slipping, it feels like im flooring it, then letting it go, and flooring it again but it feels like there is a slight throttle delay. Wasnt like thos before the tune, the car would shift clean and power would be co,tinuous delivery. I have the ots map with non burble.
I flashed my 2014 PWG this past weekend with OTS Stage 1 and I get this same issue. Did you ever figure it out?

Anybody else have this issue or can help me out? Thank you!
I thought I was the only one with this "delay" issue. It's best described as an "artificial" turbo lag (there's no way this tiny turbo would have any lag) My car is a 6spd which I feel makes it more noticeable. I've tried stage 1 and stage 2 OTS maps, all have the same issue.

For a while I assumed it was a mechanical issue. I've done boost leak tests and smoke tests and everything checked out okay. I replaced the boost solenoid and this also made no difference. My next assumption was that my wastegate was failing or is worn. I have a pretty decent wastegate rattle and was going to try adjusting the wastegate actuator (which I've been slacking on doing as I'd have to remove the downpipe to do it correctly) to see if it made a difference.

I've also opened a ticket with PTF, tried to explain the issues and had them review my logs. They've told me that everything looks okay.

Although if multiple people are having this issue I'm starting to lean towards this being a tune issue? I would think if my wastage was causing this issue the wastegate duty cycle would have been out of wack and would have been caught by PTF reviewing the logs. From what I've seen there is very little development being done on the PWG N55 OTS maps considering the majority of bm3 users are n55/b58/s55 EWG vehicles
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #193
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
I thought I was the only one with this "delay" issue. It's best described as an "artificial" turbo lag (there's no way this tiny turbo would have any lag) My car is a 6spd which I feel makes it more noticeable. I've tried stage 1 and stage 2 OTS maps, all have the same issue.

For a while I assumed it was a mechanical issue. I've done boost leak tests and smoke tests and everything checked out okay. I replaced the boost solenoid and this also made no difference. My next assumption was that my wastegate was failing or is worn. I have a pretty decent wastegate rattle and was going to try adjusting the wastegate actuator (which I've been slacking on doing as I'd have to remove the downpipe to do it correctly) to see if it made a difference.

I've also opened a ticket with PTF, tried to explain the issues and had them review my logs. They've told me that everything looks okay.

Although if multiple people are having this issue I'm starting to lean towards this being a tune issue? I would think if my wastage was causing this issue the wastegate duty cycle would have been out of wack and would have been caught by PTF reviewing the logs. From what I've seen there is very little development being done on the PWG N55 OTS maps considering the majority of bm3 users are n55/b58/s55 EWG vehicles
FWIW, I have MHD Stage 1 on my PWG. I notice a "boost lag" when getting into the "newfound power" available since the tune, and no change in lag characteristics at lower throttle settings within the realm of stock power output. I definitely DO NOT observe any lag as gear shifts occur on the 8AT, but I don't know how it would feel if I was into the "new power" with 6MT.

I also installed XHP software and I'm sometimes getting some very harsh issues with the power cut on the fastest upshifts in M mode, but it's not "slingshot" or "lag", it's very jarring, and I'm not sure that it's MHD's problem since every other transmission mode seems to work perfectly.

Last edited by Surly73; 06-11-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #194
thebillionheir
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 M50i

Quote:

I really appreciate your thoughtful response.

I think to clarify further, I only feel this weird lag when I am at WOT. It’s actually super smooth when I am accelerating gradually for “normal” driving vs. my “spirited” driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #195
MatthewLC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:

FWIW, I have MHD Stage 1 on my PWG. I notice a "boost lag" when getting into the "newfound power" available since the tune, and no change in lag characteristics at lower throttle settings within the realm of stock power output. I definitely DO NOT observe any lag as gear shifts occur on the 8AT, but I don't know how it would feel if I was into the "new power" with 6MT.

I also installed XHP software and I'm sometimes getting some very harsh issues with the power cut on the fastest upshifts in M mode, but it's not "slingshot" or "lag", it's very jarring, and I'm not sure that it's MHD's problem since every other transmission mode seems to work perfectly.
I feel like you've described it best. When driving what would be in the oem powerband everything is excellent, throttle response is fine. Only at WOT is it noticeable in my car. I'm not trying to make it sound like the tune overall is garbage. I've just noticed this "issue" and I have yet to have a person that's driven my car not mention it (so I know I'm not crazy lol). I would think the speed that the auto shifts at would probably mask this through the gears and it may only be noticeable the first time you get on it. It's interesting that it's not just a BM3 thing. Now I'm curious if it's mechanical or just a lack of refinement in most OTS maps.

I'm not too experienced with autos but from what I've stumbled across it seems like most tunes manipulate torque limits to fool the tcu and get around the torque limitations per gear. No sure if that could be throwing off the XHP tcu flash?

BTW - Cool to see you're in Oakville! Just recently moved in the area and you don't see many modded F10's (or even modded late model BMWs). I've only stumbled across two in the last six months. I see a grey f10 at the go train that looks pretty clean with an aftermarket exhaust and I've driven next to white F10 on Dundas that looked lowered and had an m5 diffuser. Not sure if any of those happen to be you?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #196
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
I would think the speed that the auto shifts at would probably mask this through the gears and it may only be noticeable the first time you get on it. It's interesting that it's not just a BM3 thing. Now I'm curious if it's mechanical or just a lack of refinement in most OTS maps.
It's also the fact that the 8AT has several shift modes, a few of which keep boost up during the shift. It's not just that the shift is quicker than manual, you don't vent boost when shifting either.

Quote:
I'm not too experienced with autos but from what I've stumbled across it seems like most tunes manipulate torque limits to fool the tcu and get around the torque limitations per gear. No sure if that could be throwing off the XHP tcu flash?
This is the "old" way of doing things before both ECU and TCU were unlocked. The engineer in me cringes at ECUs rescaling exchanged information in both directions to fool one another. (Another reason I never bought into the piggyback tunes).

I was evaluating both BM3 and MHD this winter before purchasing in early spring and I was really on the fence. One thing that tipped the scales sligthly was that MHD & XHP (supposedly) partnered together. (One other thing was MHD's linear throttle map option) MHD is flashed in "6MT or XHP" mode where there is no rescaling of reported torque values. XHP is flashed with torque limit of 800Nm in every gear at this point, though if I'm flashing a map update in the near future I may put the "AWD" preset torque limits in just for safety. The way I generally drive, I am not intentionally exceeding the factory torque limits in 3 & 6 anyways with any kind of regularity. I like my equipment to last. Supposedly I have launch control now - I'm probably not even going to test it.

My worst XHP M mode upshifts are nowhere near WOT. More like 40% throttle. You'd swear I ran over debris. For all I know something's up with DSC and the car is also applying the brakes. It's not very frequent but still pops a couple of bad shifts per week. They are decidedly not drivetrain friendly. I don't know what's going on but I'm not getting a lot of traction with either MHD or XHP at this point and I don't see reports like mine elsewhere on the internet. ISTA+ shows all modules have no stored codes.

Quote:
BTW - Cool to see you're in Oakville! Just recently moved in the area and you don't see many modded F10's (or even modded late model BMWs). I've only stumbled across two in the last six months. I see a grey f10 at the go train that looks pretty clean with an aftermarket exhaust and I've driven next to white F10 on Dundas that looked lowered and had an m5 diffuser. Not sure if any of those happen to be you?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #197
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36graduatebmw View Post
2016 535xi - bm3 stage 1 (93) tcu flash - no bolt on’s....yet. Not a racer, just like to drive a little spirited probably never get close to redline....just like the quick short pulls on backroads and occasional get on a on-ramp. I’m loving this ZF8....no issues with tune....
Man you missing out lol... BMWs are meant to be rev'd lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #198
E36graduatebmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Man you missing out lol... BMWs are meant to be rev'd lol.
I just bought it lol....the old m3 is for revving out when I feel like tossing her around
Appreciate 0