2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Extended warranty worth it for low mileage 535??

09-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Extended warranty worth it for low mileage 535??

I thought I would reach out to a bunch of you in the forums and get your input

I recently helped my mother purchase a certified preowned 535i M Sport.

I helped my mom find an amazing deal on a low mileage 535I she bought the car a couple years ago it only had 14,000 miles on it. in the past two years she's only put 10,000 miles on the car she currently has about 25,000 miles on it. The certified preowned warranty is about to expire at the end of the year

my mom is one of those worry wart people that thinks she should buy an extended warranty but I've been telling her that most of the warranties on the market are not only mileage dependent but time dependent and realistically any warrantee she buys is going to have some kind of time limitation that will expire in seven years after the car was titled. I'll have to check in the pricing but I'm assuming if she bought 100,000 mile warranty she's probably looking at several thousand dollars to get a bumper to bumper warranty.

Given that she puts so little mileage on her car I was wondering if it would just make sense to forgo the warranty and bank that money in the unlikely event she had some kind of failure. over the next two or three years she's likely barely going to hit 50 or maybe 60,000 miles at the most and the likelihood of some catastrophic failure occurring in that timeframe is low.

Are there any warranties out there that she could buy that would go based on mileage alone not on time? What are your thoughts on whether it makes financial sense to spend the money on a warranty or just keep the money in the bank and take the risk that nothing catastrophic will occur?

Her car is super clean it was a one owner lease return she doesn't drive it hard she is 72 years old and take the car out on short trips around town.

My opinion is that she should skip the warranty save the money and take her chances but I'm curious what the rest if you think??
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #2
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Personally, I sleep better while having a warranty. Responses will be 50/50. Some will say bank the money, some will advise to get a warranty. Not sure if there is one, based on mileage alone. Also, choosing a good extended warranty is a gambling. I've used CNA, bought it for 3k and it covered 10k+ in repairs. But my miles were much higher. There are good reviews about Route66, probably will use it on my next BMW. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Like any other form of insurance, it is all about risk tolerance.

With a 550 like mine, I'd say it is more of a no brainer.

My mom, were she inclined to drive such a vehicle in her 80s, would likely tell me, "fine, I won't get the $2,500 warranty to protect my car for 5 years from today's date, but I really appreciate you offering to pay for any repairs I might need."
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 F15 E39 E90 E53

It's hit or miss with Bmw. But the 535 is super reliable compared to previous generations. I'd say skip the warranty and bank the $. What year is the car. If it's later/newer than not much to worry about. Especially since she doesn't do a lot of miles
Appreciate 0