2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 520d SE Configuration Advice

11-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
jonno70
Rep
Drives: 530d M

520d SE Configuration Advice

Hi All.
I'm very soon due to order a new F10 520d as a Company Car and after many hours playing with the online configurator, referring to brochure/price list and checking the forums, I think I've nailed the config to the following:
  • 520d SE
  • Sport Auto
  • VDC
  • 18 inch V Alloys - 328
  • Space Grey Metallic
  • Comfort Seats (Oyster/Black)
  • Athracite Headlining
  • Fine line anthracite trim
  • Ambient lighting
  • Matt Aluminium exterior trim
  • Xenons (not visibility pack)
  • Folding mirrors
  • HiFi logic 7
  • DAB Radio
  • Sunroof
  • Rear Camera
  • Privacy glass
  • Split rear seats

I have a couple of questions and would grateful receive any guidance from the forum:

1. After many hours searching the forums I'm certain VDC will be needed to keep the ride true. Am I right?
2. Any feedback on the Comfort Seats? I suffer from lower back pain every now and then and I've heard good reports.
3. I have to fit the extra's into a monthly budget, so I've gone for Xenons on their own (rather than Visibility Pack), which means I can add in the Rear Camera. Any opinions on this decision?
4. Anything you would take out/replace from your experience?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I have the rear camera and whilst it is genuinely useful - and a good talking point - you do have sensors front and rear so I'd drop that and have the full visibility pack. The full visibility is amazing.

I've had good reports about VDC but I don't have it (and it may be a case of never missing what you've never had) but I wouldn't call it essential.

I'd also really try for pro-nav at the expense of something else - without pro-nav you get the much smaller screen with (I think) ugly plastic infills to take up the space that the 10.2" pro-nav screen uses. For example, I'd lose the sunroof but the fact you've specced it presumably means it's important to you.

Nice spec overall though
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
jonno70
Rep

Many thanks Xenon.
My mistake, I also have the Professional Media Pack (with the 10.2 screen) spec'd! It's part of the base car I've chosen from the Lease Car list!

Thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Cool - in that case it sounds perfect. Enjoy!
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

My 535d has AD/VDC and, next to the dual turbo/sport auto drivetrain, I consider it to be the car's best feature. Having said that, I'm pretty sure that AD (active stabiliser bars) is not an option on the 520d and I don't know what VDC alone is like; best thing would be to try and find a dealer who has a demo car equipped with it and see what you think.
As 'Xenon' says, the visibility pack is amazing as you get the cornering headlights and they work really well. However, if you don't do all that much night driving away from well lit roads, it's probably not worth it in your case.
As to the comfort seats, I'm also prone to lower back pain, but thanks to these amazing seats, that's no longer an issue, regardless of how long a journey I'm on. On the very rare occasions when I've begun to feel any discomfort, I've just tweaked the lumbar support and it's vanished instantly. So there you go - highly recommended.
Only thing I regret not getting is the surround view; the rear view camera is very good and, considering the very restricted rearward vision, pretty much indispensable in my opinion. I recently drove an F12 with the wing mirror cameras and found it amazing to be see an actual view of my immediate surroundings on the screen.
Other than that, your specs look pretty good to me.
Hope that helps - enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
jonno70
Rep

Great feedback - thanks!
I have a test session in a 520d SE on Tuesday next week so hopefully that should have the VDC. It wil help in the decision of rear view mirror too!

Re: the Comfort Seats, I'm really pleased they're helping! The brochure says they come with lumbar and memory for both front seats (and steering) - just wanted to check that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
jonno70
Rep

As to the comfort seats, I'm also prone to lower back pain, but thanks to these amazing seats, that's no longer an issue, regardless of how long a journey I'm on.

Could I ask if you have the Dakota Comfort Seats or the Nappa?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Nice spec .....my two penneth for what it's worth but please don't hang me for it....I don't have VDC so can't comment, but don't really see the need for it. Would definatly get full visability, love the auto high beam, makes country lanes a lot easier. I have a sunroof and like it a lot, don't like the darkness of the anthracite lining but with the cover open it brightens the cabin up. Folding mirrors a must on this barge sized car, memory seats also good if your other half drives the car, or as its a company car colleagues borrow it like mine. Would not go for the HiFi either, like to choose options of something the car doesnt have rather than improving something thats already there. Kids love rear heated seats in mine, another good choice possibly rather than abmient lighting.

I think the main thing i'd change is to swap to M sport, just my opinion but much prefer the looks to that of an SE, but whatever you end up choosing, I hope you enjoy it, i know i do....Oh and one last thing you must get DVD-in-motion after it arrives as well, ideal for the family on long journeys
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno70 View Post

Could I ask if you have the Dakota Comfort Seats or the Nappa?
The standard Dakota and it's perfectly fine. I've seen the Nappa and, personally speaking, I don't think it's worth the extra money.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 F10 520d SE

My own 2012 F10 520d SE is now about 6 weeks old. A great car! (I've posted pics and the spec in the gallery section of this site).

I think that surround view, with the reversing camera is one of the best driving aids of the car, that I rely upon more or less every drive. The rear view through the windows/over the seats (even for a tall fit-ish bloke!) is not brilliant, so I consider that rear camera an important safety feature (and adds much more than the PDC sensors alone can offer).

The surround view is not so much a safety feature than an excellent "get it right first time" manoeuvring and parking feature, that makes it a breeze to park between lines or against a kerb (even a curved / strange-shape one). It's almost like playing a "park your car" computer game - and still brilliant at night time! In addition you get the two side cameras that remove the need to poke your nose out into traffic (they give about 4ft forward advantage). As you may imagine, these cameras features are a great talking point with passengers! Most have never seen anything like it before.

I have VDC with the same wheels as you are listing: I've never driven one of these cars without VDC, but I certainly appreciate the different settings for rural roads / motorways.

I'll also add my support for the full vis pack. As someone said above, it must depend a bit on the sort of night driving that you do, but if you regularly drive on unlit rural roads, the adaptive xenons + cornering lights really show what they're worth. I also like the fact that the high-beam assist is now very responsive (particularly in switching back to high) compared to my previous LCI E60.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

I've just checked the BMW UK configurator and noticed that surround view is no longer separately available - it is now included in the 'Advanced Parking Package', costing a mere £1590
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I've just checked the BMW UK configurator and noticed that surround view is no longer separately available - it is now included in the 'Advanced Parking Package', costing a mere £1590
Ah, that rather changes things... (Didn't I do well with mine?!)

Last edited by islandnipper; 11-27-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
jonno70
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnipper View Post
My own 2012 F10 520d SE is now about 6 weeks old. A great car! (I've posted pics and the spec in the gallery section of this site).

I think that surround view, with the reversing camera is one of the best driving aids of the car, that I rely upon more or less every drive. The rear view through the windows/over the seats (even for a tall fit-ish bloke!) is not brilliant, so I consider that rear camera an important safety feature (and adds much more than the PDC sensors alone can offer).
Great advice, thank you! I have a demo arriving tomorrow for a couple of days but don't think it has VDC. I'll be able to give the adaptive xenons a good try at night time and also see how the standard stereo fares. Will need to place the order in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how I get on!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Great advice, thank you! I have a demo arriving tomorrow for a couple of days but don't think it has VDC. I'll be able to give the adaptive xenons a good try at night time and also see how the standard stereo fares. Will need to place the order in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how I get on!
Don't forget to turn the light switch to 'Auto' (1 click CCW), otherwise the cornering lights will be inoperative - then find a dark twisty road and prepare to be amazed.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #15
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All.

2. Any feedback on the Comfort Seats? I suffer from lower back pain every now and then and I've heard good reports.
Congrats, great car. I have had that kind of pain as well, but I learned to walk properly and now it is gone. Try walking around literally on you toes.
My problem was that I am tall and heavy and I always placed the heels heavily while I was walking. I had more back pain when staying home, i.e. for the weekend since I am walking without shoes inside.

Clarkson claimed that the Comfort seats was like sitting on top of ET's face
      11-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
jonno70
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Quote:
Hi All.

Congrats, great car. I have had that kind of pain as well, but I learned to walk properly and now it is gone. Try walking around literally on you toes.
My problem was that I am tall and heavy and I always placed the heels heavily while I was walking. I had more back pain when staying home, i.e. for the weekend since I am walking without shoes inside.

Clarkson claimed that the Comfort seats was like sitting on top of ET's face
Not sure if Clarkson's comment about ETs face is a good or bad one!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
It's positive
      11-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
jonno70
Rep

I think i've got the spec finalised now (full viz pack, rear camera but dropping the Pro sound system).

Just one question you might be able to help with, does the Sport Auto (2TB) option also include the sports steering wheel? The lease company system is listing the steering wheel as a separate option so a little confused
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #19
rosino
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

It is a compulsory combination, It adds it automatically (at a cost) when you select sports auto..

I guess because of the paddle shift.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #20
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep

Although it is a compulsory option, I know that my lease Co had to list it and price it separately, even though there's no choice. Sounds like yours is doing the same... Not really a problem, just one of those little ordering quirks that we get used to with BMW.

We love 'em tho!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #21
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

like the spec

love the visibility pack
have VDC and active steering but not the direct rear wheel thingy that came on 2012 models

people without those seem happy....

enjoy!
      12-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
JohnF
CongyBeamer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE Black

I tested a 520d SE sports auto for 2 days without VDC. I did not like the ride on the bumpy, undulating Cheshire country roads I drive on (too jigly), but loved the car otherwise. So, I ordered a 520d SE sports auto with VDC, and what a difference! VDC transforms the standard car. Much less jigly in Normal, and flat and firm through bends in Sport/Sport+. If you are spending all that money on so many extras, dont skip VDC in my view. Especially if you are not spending all your time on motorways and dual carriage ways.

Definitely get the comfort seats, or at least lumbar support on standard or sports seats. I didn't bother and regret it somewhat as I also suffer from lower back pain. Being a low mileage driver its not a huge issue for me, but would likely be if I was making long drives regularly.

Metallic of any colour is better than the non-metallic black I have. My paint marks far to easily, and demands obsessive care when washing (micro fibre cloths, used just right, cleaned between washes etc etc - a real pain). I think the Space Grey makes the car look classier too. A mate just got one in this colour, parked it next to mine, and made mine look cheap :-(

Otherwise, I am envious of your spec! My car is much more basic, but the Sports Auto with VDC was the making of it.
Appreciate 0