2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Bmw 530d se 2010 warranty and corrosion

08-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
Bigozz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d se 2010

Bmw 530d se 2010 warranty and corrosion

Hello, I have a BMW 530d se 2010 with mileage of 74000. I pay £92 a month for extended warranty, they fixed the egr and air conditioning under the warranty. However now when there is a side view camera failure they claim that this is due to corrosion and that is an exclusion on the warranty, same thing happened where there was a broken spring coil - corrosion, warranty won’t cover. I’m wondering is it worth to pay monthly for the warranty if they can pin most things under corrosion and don’t pay out ? Would I not be better to just put £92 a month in to a saving account ? Are there any common faults at my mileage ? I’m doing approx 16000 miles a year. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:21 AM   #2
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

AFAIK, side view camera faults on F10s are not corrosion, they are water ingress because the seals on the cameras are not robust enough. It's a fairly common problem and there are DIY fixes reported on forums if you have a search around.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigozz View Post
Hello, I have a BMW 530d se 2010 with mileage of 74000. I pay £92 a month for extended warranty, they fixed the egr and air conditioning under the warranty. However now when there is a side view camera failure they claim that this is due to corrosion and that is an exclusion on the warranty, same thing happened where there was a broken spring coil - corrosion, warranty won’t cover. I’m wondering is it worth to pay monthly for the warranty if they can pin most things under corrosion and don’t pay out ? Would I not be better to just put £92 a month in to a saving account ? Are there any common faults at my mileage ? I’m doing approx 16000 miles a year. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Sounds like a standard excuse trotted out. I'd demand to speak to the service manager and/or maybe you need to go to a different dealer and get them to fight your corner.

For a start, all BMWs are covered by a bodywork 12 year corrosion guarantee.
https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...uidelines.html

If their manufactured (premium) solution corrodes within 8 years, I'd suggest it was not fit for its intended lifespan and purpose and thus is within scope of the warranty repair. Excepted, consumables like brake pads etc are out of bounds but major options fitted to the car should be covered.

And yes it is worth continuing on with the warranty IMO. You can get some scary bills on these machines if you start getting gear major box and engine issues.

Coil springs is a mickey-mouse job for an Indy to do.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Sounds like a standard excuse trotted out. I'd demand to speak to the service manager and/or maybe you need to go to a different dealer and get them to fight your corner.

For a start, all BMWs are covered by a bodywork 12 year corrosion guarantee.
https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...uidelines.html

If their manufactured (premium) solution corrodes within 8 years, I'd suggest it was not fit for its intended lifespan and purpose and thus is within scope of the warranty repair. Excepted, consumables like brake pads etc are out of bounds but major options fitted to the car should be covered.

And yes it is worth continuing on with the warranty IMO. You can get some scary bills on these machines if you start getting gear major box and engine issues.

Coil springs is a mickey-mouse job for an Indy to do.
The bodywork is covered against corrosion. I'd guess this is being put down do electrical corrosion, a failure of a seal, etc.

But we only half part of the picture, the OP saying it is being blamed on corrosion without giving more details
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
t_dawg1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series F10

I have a 525d same age as you and Iv had both rear coil springs replaced at separate incidents and both covered under the extended warranty no quibble no fuss. Strange that they have declined yours
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_dawg1 View Post
I have a 525d same age as you and Iv had both rear coil springs replaced at separate incidents and both covered under the extended warranty no quibble no fuss. Strange that they have declined yours
I don't understand it either. Springs are part of the suspension, covered includes 'wear and tear' to 100k miles, under the extended insured warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I don't understand it either. Springs are part of the suspension, covered includes 'wear and tear' to 100k miles, under the extended insured warranty.
But doesn't that depend on the level of cover ?

I think I'm correct in saying that it wouldn't be covered under 'named component' or 'driveline' ?

Which would also explain why the camera claim was refused as well
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
But doesn't that depend on the level of cover ?

I think I'm correct in saying that it wouldn't be covered under 'named component' or 'driveline' ?

Which would also explain why the camera claim was refused as well
Yes, forgot about the cover level, 'wear and tear' only applies to comprehensive cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:17 AM   #9
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

We need to know what cover level the OP has to cause them to refuse the claim. If it is driveline or named component then he wouldn't have been covered. I assumed he had comprehensive.

TBH I do not understand why anyone would take either of those out and not have comprehensive; if something is wrong you need to be able to get it fixed for the cost of the excess, no matter what the issue is, within reason.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0