2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Battery fault after battery replace and register via ISTA

12-05-2018, 03:04 AM   #1
fila27
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Battery fault after battery replace and register via ISTA

Hi guys,

yesterday I replaced my battery on F10 520d with new Exide 95Ah AGM battery and registered a new battery via ISTA/D.
While I was putting out old battery I connected a small 12V battery on jump-start terminals so I don't lose settings in the car...

Car is working fine, but I still get the fault message on my display "Replace battery".
I also let the car with the new battery to rest so the IBS can "learn", but I still get the fault message.
I tried deleting the faults via ISTA but the fault message "Power management, battery condition: Battery faulty" comes up again.

Any suggestions how to get rid of the fault?

Thanx
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:46 PM   #2
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Makes me wonder if the 12v kept the ecu to still remember that the old battery was still intact keeping a charge for memory settings. Hate to say have you tried unhooking the battery to drain all power from the car for 15-25 mins? Which you may have to adjust all your saved settings. Then try to register the battery again? This makes more sense to me from a computer tech out of school, with cmos battery it allows the computer to remember such settings for a period of time.
      12-06-2018, 02:25 AM   #3
fila27
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Thanx for the idea, that is what I wanted to do if nothing else helped...
After spending a whole day searching online for the solution, I found nothing.
So I opened my laptop and ISTA. Put "battery" in the search and went trough every each of the search results...
One of them is the energy diagnosis. When I selected this funcion I first got the message that diagnosis can not be done because there is no learning period since new battery is registered... but on the next step there were many options to choose, and one of them was battery!
I started battery diagnosis and there was a message "battery registration in progress" (again???). After this I got the message - battery status OK!
Tried to delete fault message and it was gone.
I also looked for the last battery change and there was not a new registration, only the one I did a few days ago.

Conclusion - run ENERGY DIAGNOSIS if you have any kind of trouble with the battery. It is smart to run this before buying a new battery if you have problem with the drained battery to make sure that the battery is realy dead or there is some other problem in the car.

Official text from ISTA:
Energy diagnosis procedure
The electrical system of BMW vehicles has been subject to an ongoing development process over the last few years.
This has led to increased demands being placed on the battery. A breakdown due to a drained battery or problems in
the vehicle energy system can have a wide range of causes which, in most cases, are not caused by the battery itself.
For that reason, replacing the battery will only very rarely provide a permanent solution to the problem. The energy
diagnosis procedure helps find the cause of the problem.

Result of the energy diagnosis
The aim of the energy diagnosis is to identify the fault cause as precisely as possible. The procedure reads all the
necessary data from the corresponding control units (see below). After evaluating this data, it displays the following
information:
- Possible fault causes for a drained battery or problem with the vehicle energy system:
The number of information items varies.
If there are several possible fault causes, they are listed in order of the kilometre reading at which they occurred
(most recent first).
For example: vehicle system does not go into sleep mode (sleep mode inhibited); vehicle system is repeatedly
woken up; or side lights were switched on for too long, etc.
- General information:
This information can always be displayed (results of the last closed-circuit current monitoring, information about
battery such as charging state over the last 5 days, battery test(charge acceptance/start drops), state of
charging state histogram, average trip overview, stand profile, history of the test module changes).
Based on the information displayed, a decision can be made as to what the actual cause of the fault is.

Hope this helps to someone!
Appreciate 2
BurrNinja427.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      12-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fila27 View Post
So I opened my laptop and ISTA. Put "battery" in the search and went trough every each of the search results...
One of them is the energy diagnosis. When I selected this funcion I first got the message that diagnosis can not be done because there is no learning period since new battery is registered... but on the next step there were many options to choose, and one of them was battery!
I started battery diagnosis and there was a message "battery registration in progress" (again???). After this I got the message - battery status OK!
I also looked for the last battery change and there was not a new registration, only the one I did a few days ago.

Conclusion - run ENERGY DIAGNOSIS if you have any kind of trouble with the battery. It is smart to run this before buying a new battery if you have problem with the drained battery to make sure that the battery is realy dead or there is some other problem in the car.

Official text from ISTA:
The electrical system of BMW vehicles has been subject to an ongoing development process over the last few years.
This has led to increased demands being placed on the battery. A breakdown due to a drained battery or problems in
the vehicle energy system can have a wide range of causes which, in most cases, are not caused by the battery itself.
For that reason, replacing the battery will only very rarely provide a permanent solution to the problem. The energy

The aim of the energy diagnosis is to identify the fault cause as precisely as possible. The procedure reads all the
necessary data from the corresponding control units (see below). After evaluating this data, it displays the following
information:
- Possible fault causes for a drained battery or problem with the vehicle energy system:
If there are several possible fault causes, they are listed in order of the kilometre reading at which they occurred
(most recent first).
For example: vehicle system does not go into sleep mode (sleep mode inhibited); vehicle system is repeatedly
- General information:
This information can always be displayed (results of the last closed-circuit current monitoring, information about
battery such as charging state over the last 5 days, battery test(charge acceptance/start drops), state of
charging state histogram, average trip overview, stand profile, history of the test module changes).
Based on the information displayed, a decision can be made as to what the actual cause of the fault is.

Glad you found out the issue, a lot of things are trial and error for the most part. I will keep this remembered for when I need to replace mine.
      12-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fila27 View Post

Official text from ISTA:

information:
(most recent first).
- General information:

Good info! thanks

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0