2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2012 F10 550i POWER PROBLEM

11-25-2018, 04:07 AM   #1
Vahula
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i F10

2012 F10 550i POWER PROBLEM

Hi guys, so i got this 2012 f10 550i purchased recently. i have a 75k miles waranty on it from 3rd party company (delta auto protect) did anybody ever heard about them ?
let me get to main topic,so my friend has same 550i and his car, whenever he floors it from parked position on 1st gear it goes verry fast. it eats 2009 cls 550, but then my car
(with straight piped exhaust) from 0-10 goes verrryyy slow and the same cls is faster than mine, then after 10-15 mph power comes on. i was wondering if anybody had ever issue like that with these models?
and also sometimes (maybe once , or twice a week) whenever i start up the engine (even warm) it chokes and then starts. anybody have met problems like this before on these cars? would appreciate any advises.
i want to make a claim to warranty,but im afraid theyre not gonna be able to find the issue because it happens once in a while (the startup thingy) but the power issue is always.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

See if any codes pop up. With these N63 engines it could be several issues. Impossible to say at this point but guessing won't do us any good. Start there first and continue.

Mine is going through all kinds of BS. It stalls, it hesitates, it burns oil, etc. Dealership mentioned to replace Turbo Inlet seal so I will take it to my Indy and see what he thinks. Initially he said injectors but dealership came back with the "Bad Gas" answer which is BS. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Vahula
Rep

Thanks for quick respond, I was thinking it might be a transmission problem with first gear , or maybe fuel pump is not pumping enough fuel and start issue is related to that power issue ? What u think?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahula View Post
Thanks for quick respond, I was thinking it might be a transmission problem with first gear , or maybe fuel pump is not pumping enough fuel and start issue is related to that power issue ? What u think?
Do you use the same gas as what your friend does? Usually cold start and car chokes you would think it's starving from fuel, possible clogged injectors, spark plugs need replace, ignition coils bad, fuel pump going, fuel filter? Hmm many things that can be added. Try to run a diagnosis and see if any codes are thrown. I see many topics of injectors getting replaced multiple times. Hard to say without codes or being at car first hand ya know.
      11-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
Vahula
Rep

well the thing is it doesnt happen at cold starts. mostly when its warm already and im using SHELL gas or mobile. mostly shell though. when i picked up the car couple days later i had drivertrain issue with check engine on , and i took it back to dealer and they replaced all injectors. and no problem like that since then, ill check the codes tomorrow and ill keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
well the thing is it doesnt happen at cold starts. mostly when its warm already and im using SHELL gas or mobile. mostly shell though. when i picked up the car couple days later i had drivertrain issue with check engine on , and i took it back to dealer and they replaced all injectors. and no problem like that since then, ill check the codes tomorrow and ill keep you posted!
They have been prone to injector failure from what I read. Hopefully everything works out man.
      11-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Codes will tell all. Mine is now stalling when I put it in reverse on cold starts. I bought a warranty this past weekend to hopefully cover what BMW won't. Every time I come to a stop it shakes and almost stalls out. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Never had a problem on a previous 550i as we've had several. The N63 engine is a joke. Far too many problems I'm coming across. Should have stuck with a N55 engine and settled for that.

Anyway, I haven't had any check engine lights come on yet. The dealer said they can't do anything unless they can prove it BMW for the Injector replacement so I wait for the inevitable I suppose. Just sucks as a daily driver and 25 mile commute. Could be worse...stuck behind the wheel of a Prius.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      12-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
Vahula
Rep

Yeah now I’m realizing how many problem can this car give... I tried making an warranty claim, took the car to the dealer... but ofcourse they response was that everything works as it supposed to so they can’t do anything . Kind of annoying . 2 days ago I realized that when I drive like 20 miles using more power (driving fast) on sport + mode , then come to a stop , park the car I can smell antifreeze, but no visible leaks, first I realized that on rainy day when I parked the car and there was smoke coming out from hood ( at first I thought it’s a steam) but I was like wait a minute, there is not supposed to be this much of a steam even on a rainy day. So I smelled the smoke coming out from hood , and it smelled like antifreeze. Right now when there is no rain, I can smell it but no more smoke coming out after that one rainy day. So I’m thinking maybe it leaks somewhere ? But car doesn’t overheat or anything. What you guys think? Could loss of power be related to that ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #9
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

It’s most likely your turbo coolant lines that are going bad and leaking coolant into the hot turbos..

Check for threads here about leaky coolant lines going to the turbos.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      12-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Common problem on n63’s is the rubber coolant hose in between the turbo close to the coolant Expansion tank.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
Lucwarm2012
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550I xDrive, M Sport

Tough break. I have a 550I Msport, but my tranny is acting weird which BMW told me to switch it out. Im having it done on Thursday, crazy cause this is my daily drive car and I love the HP. Check you codes, have BMW run a scan just in case. I hope nothing is wrong. Good luck keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:54 AM   #12
Vahula
Rep

thanks for the responds guys! ill keep u updated! im waiting on my appointment, which is on january ( crazy,right) . i claimed it to my warranty. hopefully they will cover everything!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:45 AM   #13
johnpaulpresents
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550xi

i hav the same identical issue, 54,000 miles 550xi 2011.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:49 PM   #14
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Hi guys, so i got this 2012 f10 550i purchased recently. i have a 75k miles waranty on it from 3rd party company (delta auto protect) did anybody ever heard about them ?
let me get to main topic,so my friend has same 550i and his car, whenever he floors it from parked position on 1st gear it goes verry fast. it eats 2009 cls 550, but then my car
(with straight piped exhaust) from 0-10 goes verrryyy slow and the same cls is faster than mine, then after 10-15 mph power comes on. i was wondering if anybody had ever issue like that with these models?
and also sometimes (maybe once , or twice a week) whenever i start up the engine (even warm) it chokes and then starts. anybody have met problems like this before on these cars? would appreciate any advises.
i want to make a claim to warranty,but im afraid theyre not gonna be able to find the issue because it happens once in a while (the startup thingy) but the power issue is always.
have you checked for vaccuum leaks?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

+1 for betting on turbo coolant lines. Hopefully your warranty covers hoses (many don't) because it will cost best case ~$2k at an indy and $3-4k with stealership.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00