2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions What will happen to retrofited ECUs after official I-STEP update?

10-24-2023, 08:45 AM   #1
titoz
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11

What will happen to retrofited ECUs after official I-STEP update?

I did following retrofit on my F11:
- KAFAS2 used one
- DKOMBI (6WB), new one but not via BMW dealer
- Bigger screen for HU
- Official FSC for speech recognition

After updating HU, KOMBI and KAFAS2 to compatible versions using ESYS everything was working perfectly fine for almost 2 years.
Now I have to go BMW service because of AGR call-back. One of the planned actions is also update to the latest I-STEP SW in order to get some new error code in engine ECU. I'm afraid what will happen to the retrofitted ECUs.

Will they get updated as well? Are the FSC in KAFAS2 invalidated? (Because of different donor VIN). I still have all what i need to bring it back to factory setup, but don't want to spend that effort.
Any experiences, recomendation?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 05:40 PM   #2
B-Buster
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, E63 650i

When the dealer does an update, they do a full system one not just for one module. If that does not work, hands go up and they stop trying.

I ran into this issue after some parts got stolen and new ones had to get programmed. Because of updated components the update was not able to run as it detected not all modules were what they should based on VIN configuration.

This was before I had the VO changed to correct spec according to my retrofits, in my case going from non-ceramic ECC panel(s) to those with the ceramic option was allready too much for the dealer to handle.

I'd ask them how they plan on doing the update, if it is full system then you might get away with it if the Vehicle Order is updated first.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:21 AM   #3
titoz
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11

Thanks for you reply. I did the VO coding long time ago. This was required to make the retrofitted ECUs working. I did the backup of all ECUs and FSC in KAFAS2 and will see what will happen. Now I need to get the ESYS working again for NCD coding as this seem to not work anymore with the latest pszdata.
Appreciate 0