2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Vibration under light braking problem

06-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #23
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenukhayden View Post
Nope I had new discs put on again and it would be ok for a while then it comes back again. Now what I do is rotate the discs 90° on the hub when i have the wheel off which cures the problem for a few months then it comes back again . I have been given a billion theories what it could be and bar changing absolutely everything at once ie caliper ,hub disc,pad and brake lines I have no other suggestion. Frankly I gave up with it and just live with it.in addition to the above I have recently changed all the control arms and rotated the discs which seems to have cured the problem completely (for bow) only time will tell !!!! So it may have been play in the lower control arm ? Good luck is all I can say
Me too. Had this issue for a year on my 535D.

It is poor indeed for a premium car. The fix could be any of many, very expensive parts in the braking system and suspension and extended warranty will not look into it.

Sad to say, my last BMW, had a few issues with this car and I'm out of love for it now. Only 54000 on a November 2014 build, always been serviced at BMW, so it's hardly a monster miler and has been well cared for.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:45 AM   #24
roundy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenukhayden View Post
Nope I had new discs put on again and it would be ok for a while then it comes back again. Now what I do is rotate the discs 90° on the hub when i have the wheel off which cures the problem for a few months then it comes back again . I have been given a billion theories what it could be and bar changing absolutely everything at once ie caliper ,hub disc,pad and brake lines I have no other suggestion. Frankly I gave up with it and just live with it.in addition to the above I have recently changed all the control arms and rotated the discs which seems to have cured the problem completely (for bow) only time will tell !!!! So it may have been play in the lower control arm ? Good luck is all I can say
How long did this fix last for as I've got the same issues as you and just about to put new disc/pads on.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:14 AM   #25
roundy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Guys would any of you be able to confirm if you have the judder when breaking and also have refurbished / powder coated wheels?

May be worth a read -

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/13860...ainted-alloys/
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:51 PM   #26
Ian_D
Rep
Drives: 2013 535d Touring

Garage List
I've got some vibration on my F11 which you might beable to help me with.

Vibration is most noticeable between 20-70mph ish. I also get this when I use the brake function on cruise control... Is it true that the cruise brake function only uses the rear or is this not the case? If true then I guess the issue is the rear of the car?

The vibration is felt more through the car body than the steering wheel and pedal.

Strange thing is that it comes and goes, some days its almost fine, then others its really bad???
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 07:36 AM   #27
SW_Mus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2013

I'm intrigued to know if anyone with this problem ever reliably resolved it. As with other posters, in my case it is more noticeable the lighter the braking force. When I do a heavy stop then it is still noticeable, but far less so. Using the cruise control down a slight hill seems to be the worst of all. Last night I fitted new pads and discs after being convinced that the vibration was on the rear. Guess what... it has made absolutely no difference!

I had some new tyres on the back yesterday, so I know that the tyres are good, and have been balanced. Tonight I am going to take the front wheels off and measure the runout on the front discs to see if that shows anything to consider.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #28
Ferrow
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW_Mus View Post
I'm intrigued to know if anyone with this problem ever reliably resolved it. As with other posters, in my case it is more noticeable the lighter the braking force. When I do a heavy stop then it is still noticeable, but far less so. Using the cruise control down a slight hill seems to be the worst of all. Last night I fitted new pads and discs after being convinced that the vibration was on the rear. Guess what... it has made absolutely no difference!

I had some new tyres on the back yesterday, so I know that the tyres are good, and have been balanced. Tonight I am going to take the front wheels off and measure the runout on the front discs to see if that shows anything to consider.
Looks like (90%) a balancing issue or (10%) the issue with your brake discs.
Appreciate 1
SW_Mus0.00
      01-18-2023, 09:41 AM   #29
SW_Mus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2013

Sorry if I misled, I should point out that the issue has been happening for a few months. I mentioned the wheels only to establish that the wheels/tyres are (almost certainly) not the problem, as the braking vibration was not reduced either after fitting the new tyres, or after also replacing the rear brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 06:05 PM   #30
DR-Z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWs: 530d 2013, X1 2.0D 2016

Almost certainly a front disk issue. If the vibration started when new disks were fitted, then could be dodgy disks. But if this just came on, could be deposits on the disks. Deposit being brake disk material. I had this on a previous car when I fitted new Greenstuff pads and immediately went out and did some sharp braking. Very impressive, but thereafter I had vibration due to the deposits.

On my f11 a couple of years ago this vibration started to happen. I can't recall any specific incident, but suddenly noticed it. Eventually I managed to resolve it by performing a few sustained 'firm brakings' from around 30 mph, for 5 seconds or so each time, then release brakes and continue. Repeat several times. This removed the deposits and the vibration dissappeared.

Don't let a garage bullshit you with that 'warped disks' nonsense. Almost impossible to warp disks, especially the thick ventilated ones.
Appreciate 0