2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N63 Injector Recall?

09-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
just_dirty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Sport, F10 550, F450, E92

N63 Injector Recall?

Hi All,

I came across a document stating that BMW extended the warranty coverage on injectors for several N63 powered vehicles. I noticed in the document that the f10 550i wasn't explicitly stated but it had the 550 gran turismo and various other n63 powered vehicles listed.

Just want to know if anyone has successfully had BMW cover the injector replacement on their 550s?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Warranty Injectors.pdf (105.1 KB, 1136 views)
Frozen Black Widebody E92 : VRSF CP, N54Tuning Downpipes, Tial BOV, DCI, MHD Flash, Aquamist HSF-3 Meth kit Dual Nozzle, Megan Racing Toe Arms,Megan Racing Camber Arm, Megan Racing Trailing Arm, IND Delrin Subframe Bushings, M3 Control Arms,Fortune 500 Series Coilovers, Square 18x11 Apex Ec7 w/ 315/30/18 Hoosier R7's

Last edited by just_dirty; 09-24-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Look at the production dates of the vehicles that are listed, before f10 production. Your car isn’t listed, it isn’t included. What year is your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 05:05 AM   #3
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

I've researched under F10 service bulletins that the years 13-15 for 550's fall under this 100,000 - 10 year limited warranty.

My 2014 was acting up and my indy said try BMW and see if they will fix. Well since there were no codes they simply attributed it to poor gas. No code, no free fix. The problem is the with not only the fuel injectors but the actual poor design of the where they are located in relation to the combustion chamber and piston area. Gasoline somehow gets mixed in with the oil which makes our cars burn oil much faster than normal hence the civil suit outstanding on BMW's.

This is very vague at best but my tech tried to explain what was happening with my vehicle and this is the best I could understand since I know nothing about engines obviously.

My SA attributes the 'big' turbos attributing to the burning oil issue as well. All I know is the past few months mine is burning oil quicker than normal. Not sure what's going on with that yet but lets see if I get a dash light or some other quirky issues besides stalling out , hesitation, poor gas mileage, etc. which is happening as we speak.

Very nervous as I'm flying blind with no warranty at 67k.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

AFAIK there are only a couple of ways for oil to enter the combustion chamber; rings and valve seals. This is my 1st experience with a turbo'd engine and I'm guessing oil my also get past the turbo seals or bearing.

I know the turbos living in the valley of the V8 is good for compactness but not so bueno for heat control. Maybe if the hood had some kind of heat extractor then heat wouldn't be such an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #5
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Any update on this ?
      11-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Updates from a few weeks ago.

1) Indy looked at it and said 2 injectors were an issue. Based upon service bulletin he suggest to take it to the stealership.

2) Dealership said "Bad Gas". I guess Costco Tier 1 gas isn't good enough then huh? Also, suggested to replace Turbo inlet seal. Car burns oil excessively for past 5 months. Every 500 or so miles the light comes on.

I call BS but since the car didn't throw a code they can't prove to BMW NA to replace the Injectors. Remedy , went to BP gas , 2 bottle of BG44K.
The car still runs like shit. Car stalls coming to stop on cold starts and/or idles very low to almost a stall.

Just tried to back out of my garage just now and it stalled 5 times in a row however it is very cold outside (30 degrees) but it's never done it before.

So in the meantime I just purchased a warranty via Concord auto warranty for $1500. Takes effect in 30 days. I did a little homework and this was one of the top ones. Probably got ripped off but the others were a little higher still probably got ripped off. No idea..

Anyone want to chime in on this and also warranty situations? Running blind here based upon no prior experience.

I only plan on keeping the car for another 2.5 years give or take until warranty runs out IF I can hang in there. Doing research on different repair items has me nervous but I figured this was the prudent option instead of waiting for the huge repair. I can't get out of the car unless I eat 6 - 8k since I bought it this past March. Upside down city basically so … this is the next best option I suppose. We shall see...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post

1) Indy looked at it and said 2 injectors were an issue. Based upon service bulletin he suggest to take it to the stealership.

2) Dealership said "Bad Gas". I guess Costco Tier 1 gas isn't good enough then huh? Also, suggested to replace Turbo inlet seal. Car burns oil excessively for past 5 months. Every 500 or so miles the light comes on.

I call BS but since the car didn't throw a code they can't prove to BMW NA to replace the Injectors. Remedy , went to BP gas , 2 bottle of BG44K.
The car still runs like shit. Car stalls coming to stop on cold starts and/or idles very low to almost a stall.

Just tried to back out of my garage just now and it stalled 5 times in a row however it is very cold outside (30 degrees) but it's never done it before.

So in the meantime I just purchased a warranty via Concord auto warranty for $1500. Takes effect in 30 days. I did a little homework and this was one of the top ones. Probably got ripped off but the others were a little higher still probably got ripped off. No idea..

Anyone want to chime in on this and also warranty situations? Running blind here based upon no prior experience.

I only plan on keeping the car for another 2.5 years give or take until warranty runs out IF I can hang in there. Doing research on different repair items has me nervous but I figured this was the prudent option instead of waiting for the huge repair. I can't get out of the car unless I eat 6 - 8k since I bought it this past March. Upside down city basically so … this is the next best option I suppose. We shall see...

Demand oil consumption test, if car burns oil with in 500 miles after 3 refills bmw will have to offer a new engine for $3500 and cover the swap cost.
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      11-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post

Looks like you have the N63TU. My SA said they're starting to see the same issues on the "TU" as the original N63. Seems like my decision to forego the V8 in favor of the N55 was the right choice.
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      11-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
Demand oil consumption test, if car burns oil with in 500 miles after 3 refills bmw will have to offer a new engine for $3500 and cover the swap cost.
I will definitely bring this up with my SA and put my foot down. I just topped if today at 69,525k so lets see. Have you gone through this situation on yours?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Looks like you have the N63TU. My SA said they're starting to see the same issues on the "TU" as the original N63. Seems like my decision to forego the V8 in favor of the N55 was the right choice.
My wife has a CPO 14 550xi and only issue so far was a coil replacement at 60k. I also have a 12 335xi N55 which is tuned but runs like a champ. Only fix at 58k is the water pump. Other than that is just routine maintenance. If I can keep mine through the warranty period without ALL the other issues that are immanent then I will send it to the BMW grave. M3/M4 is next.
Appreciate 0