2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Valve seals Info

11-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
Arnold550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I have a 2011 550i with 100,000mi which has the N63 engine with the class action lawsuit attached. I have pretty bad smoking issues that are typically due to bad valve seals. I've been talking to my BMW technician about the issue and he basically told me that the smoke could be 2 things bad valve seals on the engine itself or bad seals on the turbos both pretty costly repairs since BMW replaces the whole engine or the whole turbos not just a single seal. The class action lawsuit helps some of us that fell into the N63 trap. BMW will take your car, run diagnostic tests for 2-3 days in order to diagnose the issue then will typically cover some of the costs depending on the age and miles on the car. If your looking to keep this car long term a new engine is a great deal it pretty much gives you a brand new car! If your are looking to trade in for something new it's pretty much up to you if you want to tell the dealership that it's burning oil pretty heavily. The engine as a whole usually costs 15-16k but BMW will cover about 10k of the repair costs for me I'm not sure if they will cover anything if it is the turbos instead but since BMW techs replace the whole thing it would be cheaper to take your car to an Indy shop and have them rebuild the turbos instead of replacing them.
Appreciate 0