2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2021: Azerbaijan GP - Baku (June 6)

06-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #507
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
The negative vibes from BOT are always to blame
"Exceeding track limits will result in a 10 second confession penalty" !
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      06-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #508
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
"Exceeding track limits will result in a 10 second confession penalty" !
Hey that's where I confess,£100 each time a car goes past
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #509
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Just in ...The latest from Pirelli !

According Pirelli's microscopic examination , It wasn't debris on the track ..

Pirelli said : The tyres failures are presumably caused by the PSI tyre pressure => https://nl.motorsport.com/f1/news/pi...nning/6564469/
Just read the report from Pirelli concerning the tyre failures,pirelli say the tyres were fine and Horner that the tyres were being run within the guidelines.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/p...ation/6572225/
Appreciate 3
      06-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #510
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Just read the report from Pirelli concerning the tyre failures,pirelli say the tyres were fine and Horner that the tyres were being run within the guidelines.
I was just reading the latest Dutch article from Pirelli .

Translation (in short)

According Pirelli's investigation ,
A rupture arose inside the tyre at the height of the inner sidewall , this led to an explosion of the rear tyre ...

Sensors showed that MAX and Stroll ran with the requested 20 PSI pressures during the race .
Pirelli's last word : There's nothing wrong with our tyres !

Well , If you ask me ..That's very bad news and I wouldn't feel safe to race with those tyres !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      06-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #511
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I was just reading the latest Dutch article from Pirelli .

Translation (in short)

According Pirelli's investigation ,
A rupture arose inside the tyre at the height of the inner sidewall , this led to an explosion of the rear tyre ...

Sensors showed that MAX and Stroll ran with the requested 20 PSI pressures during the race .
Pirelli's last word : There's nothing wrong with our tyres !

Well , If you ask me ..That's very bad news and I wouldn't feel safe to race with those tyres !
Seems as top speed was the cause of both blowouts then yes it is a worry,I was hoping they would say something more definite.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #512
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Seems as top speed was the cause of both blowouts then yes it is a worry,I was hoping they would say something more definite.
Italians my friend !

Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      06-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #513
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Italians my friend !
Pirelli spaghetti
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #514
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Russell to mercedes. Bottas to williams. Done deal?

Looks like Grandma might be gone.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/06...ams-done-deal/
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      06-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #515
M5Rick
General
Rep

G'night all, hope I don't have any nightmares about exploding tyres...
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #516
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Just German rumors , but I would love to see a new puppy doggy on 7Hammy's side .

If Merc are seriously considering putting the Russell boy in a seat it's likely because they fear that MAX-Checo is looking stronger than 7Hammy-Bottas this year...

More stupid mistakes will follow from 7Hammy's side , because he's been put under pressure by MAX !

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      06-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #517
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just German rumors , but I would love to see a new puppy doggy on 7Hammy's side .
Hoping for Star Wars 2...Thinking Russell can give HAM many more headaches than SLOTUS for sure.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      06-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #518
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

How long does the current contract with Pirelli last? They need to possibly going to Bridgestones or Michelins, tire failure has been an issue since Pirelli came into into the fold and I don’t remember Bridgestone having this issue since I’ve followed F1 in 2009.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 03:38 AM   #519
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
How long does the current contract with Pirelli last? They need to possibly going to Bridgestones or Michelins, tire failure has been an issue since Pirelli came into into the fold and I don’t remember Bridgestone having this issue since I’ve followed F1 in 2009.
Pirelli have a monopoly on making the tyres and they are only under obligation to 'suit tyre for purpose' and are distancing themselves from anything else.
FIA want only one tyre supplier to control costs, Pirelli's contract continues to the end of 2023 and it's unknown if they'll continue or that another supplier will take over.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2021, 05:29 AM   #520
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Still this article doesn't make sense to me.

Especially this:
"F1 teams are currently only required to run tyres at a minimum tyre pressure when they are first fitted to the cars, as there is no requirement for them to maintain pressures once a car is out on track."

This speculates that the tyre pressure was lowered on STR and VER car.
But that is easily checked by investigating the other rear tyre that didn't blow.
Just measure how much air is in that tyre.

I don't know if it's common practice to lower tyre pressure behind the FIA's or Pirelli's back but I think it's also hard to believe that in this case it was decided to only do that with STR and VER car.

I think it's very strange for an 'investigation' to speculate on facts that can be very very easily checked.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 3
      06-16-2021, 05:46 AM   #521
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Still this article doesn't make sense to me.

Especially this:
"F1 teams are currently only required to run tyres at a minimum tyre pressure when they are first fitted to the cars, as there is no requirement for them to maintain pressures once a car is out on track."

This speculates that the tyre pressure was lowered on STR and VER car.
But that is easily checked by investigating the other rear tyre that didn't blow.
Just measure how much air is in that tyre.

I don't know if it's common practice to lower tyre pressure behind the FIA's or Pirelli's back but I think it's also hard to believe that in this case it was decided to only do that with STR and VER car.

I think it's very strange for an 'investigation' to speculate on facts that can be very very easily checked.
''as there is no requirement for them to maintain pressures once a car is out on track''.
I've been perusing over this bit and agree that it's a bit greyish here.
There's also talk of tyre warmer cover temps being regulated as the correlation of putting air/nitrogen into a tyre and how hot the tyre warmers are with the tyre pressure reading can vary.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #522
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
Should be Bridgestones & Michelins...Or Michelins & whoever...Tires wars of the past were fun and added something extra to the F1 circus.
Appreciate 2
E92inNC1704.50
M5Rick58897.50
      06-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #523
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
There's also talk of tyre warmer cover temps being regulated as the correlation of putting air/nitrogen into a tyre and how hot the tyre warmers are with the tyre pressure reading can vary.
I also think that Pirelli's speculation about tyre warmer temps maybe playing a role a bit exaggerated.

I mean, VER had driven what? 30 laps on those tyres before they blew?
You'd think that after 30 laps, the few degrees in variation on the tyre warmers have been dissipade after ~1 hour of competition driving

They are all valid points in regulating everything before the start of the race, but more of a levelling of the playing field. Not as a point of investigation why STR and VER tyres blew.

As for tyre pressure reading and temperature: With cars being stuffed so full with sensors, I would think that they would not only monitor pressure but also temperature of the air in the tyres.
Monitoring temperature is even easier than monitoring pressure imho

Also their speculation about RB having a strange way of monitoring pressure that might evade the rules (which they were speculating on in the beginning), that is so easy to check.
I mean what's keeping them to put their own tyre pressure gauge on a tyre, checking the pressure and then checking the pressure in the telemetry data stream.
A lot of things about the Pirelli investigation sound very amateuristic to me, or at least how the media reports them.

So their conclusion about why the tyres blew, saying that it was a likely result of the ‘running condition of the tyre’, but not specifying what (did they think the pressure was too low during the race or the temperature was too high during the race and what caused it) is so vague that I can only translate that as "we have no clue why the tyres blew"
If it was the running condition of the tyre, surely they investigated running conditions of a lot of other cars (they have included tyres from other cars in their investigation), and would have seen significant consistent differences with the other tyres/cars/teams.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-16-2021 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 3
      06-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #524
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Pirelli have a monopoly on making the tyres and they are only under obligation to 'suit tyre for purpose' and are distancing themselves from anything else.
FIA want only one tyre supplier to control costs, Pirelli's contract continues to the end of 2023 and it's unknown if they'll continue or that another supplier will take over.
I understand they make tires to have a certain level of “performance” dictated by the FIA but these blowouts have been an issue ever since they took over, I can still remember Clarkson making fun of them back on Top Gear. I would think pre-Pirelli that the FIA had standards for the other tires manufacturers too. I really hope they look into other options for 2024.

Quote:
Should be Bridgestones & Michelins...Or Michelins & whoever...Tires wars of the past were fun and added something extra to the F1 circus.
Amen, the more competition the better.
Appreciate 3
      06-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #525
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Look how respectful and insightful all those comments on the article are. Amazing.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #526
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
''as there is no requirement for them to maintain pressures once a car is out on track''.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I also think that Pirelli's speculation about tyre warmer temps maybe playing a role a bit exaggerated.

I mean, VER had driven what? 30 laps on those tyres before they blew?
You'd think that after 30 laps, the few degrees in variation on the tyre warmers have been dissipade after ~1 hour of competition driving

They are all valid points in regulating everything before the start of the race, but more of a levelling of the playing field. Not as a point of investigation why STR and VER tyres blew.

As for tyre pressure reading and temperature: With cars being stuffed so full with sensors, I would think that they would not only monitor pressure but also temperature of the air in the tyres.
Monitoring temperature is even easier than monitoring pressure imho

Also their speculation about RB having a strange way of monitoring pressure that might evade the rules (which they were speculating on in the beginning), that is so easy to check.
I mean what's keeping them to put their own tyre pressure gauge on a tyre, checking the pressure and then checking the pressure in the telemetry data stream.
A lot of things about the Pirelli investigation sound very amateuristic to me, or at least how the media reports them.

So their conclusion about why the tyres blew, saying that it was a likely result of the ‘running condition of the tyre’, but not specifying what (did they think the pressure was too low during the race or the temperature was too high during the race and what caused it) is so vague that I can only translate that as "we have no clue why the tyres blew"
If it was the running condition of the tyre, surely they investigated running conditions of a lot of other cars (they have included tyres from other cars in their investigation), and would have seen significant consistent differences with the other tyres/cars/teams.
Negative ! According the latest ...
Pirelli said the tyre PSI pressures were according spec .
The recorded data from the Red Bull tyre sensors showed a green bar during MAX's last lap !

I fear the worst in the races to come !!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      06-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #527
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Negative ! According the latest ...
Pirelli said the tyre PSI pressures were according spec .
The recorded data from the Red Bull tyre sensors showed a green bar during MAX's last lap !

I fear the worst in the races to come !!!
Then going by this (of which there is no real answer) tyre pressures may have to be increased more maybe.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #528
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Then going by this (of which there is no real answer) tyre pressures may have to be increased more maybe.
Yeah my friend , but if it happens again ...Then Pirelli is in deep , deep 5H1T !
Who will pay the damaged car ?
Or when a driver is badly wounded by a crash caused by the Pirelli's ?

Hello Pirelli ?!?!

Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50