2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes All 4 brakes get hot

01-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
Eisbaer Lars
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E65 750i; F10 550ix sedan

All 4 brakes get hot

Hi all,

bought last week a 2014 550i xDrive and realized that all 4 brakes get with normal driving in the city - meaning no high speeds and no hard braking - really hot.

I drove today 2 miles home from the city - arrived in the garage and the brakes where so hot that I could not touch them. ACC was not on the whole ride today.

I realized as well that the car slows unusually fast down as soon as I get of the pedal - not the normal rolling out feeling when you just go off the pedal - a feeling as either the transmission or the brakes slow the car down.

Has anybody else seen this on an F10?

Thanks for any ideas what that could be.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

are the brakes newly installed? i'm wondering if the tech forgot to spray down the rotors with brake cleaner as the rotors have a chemical on them to keep them from rusting while in stock? I had the same problem with my truck when I replaced all 4 rotors. totally glazed all the pads and had to replace them. didn't know about the chemical that's on the rotors.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
Eisbaer Lars
Private
United_States
Rep

No they are not new - bought the car used and they seem to been a few 100 to about 1000 miles on the ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LdkE View Post
I drove today 2 miles home from the city - arrived in the garage and the brakes where so hot that I could not touch them. ACC was not on the whole ride today.
I've never experienced hot brakes, such as you describe, with my F10. Then again, I've only ever checked the wheel temperature after a long run on the highway, and never checked the actual temperature of the rotor. I still think that checking wheel temperature would give you an indication of overheated brakes.

When decelerating, there does seem to be a bit of increased drag due to the regenerative alternator cycle which is indicated by the blue bar in the instrument cluster when driving in normal / comfort mode. I don't think that that is what you are describing.

The only time I've actually felt the brakes bind was when it was -30C outside (-22F) or colder, and the brakes would take longer to release after a stop. This makes perfect sense given the likely thickening of the brake fluid at that temperature.

In my humble opinion, your experience is not normal and your brakes are not releasing fully when you are not braking.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
...In my humble opinion, your experience is not normal and your brakes are not releasing fully when you are not braking.
Agree. Your calipers are hanging-up.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

sounds like the seals in the calipers are sticking. I don't know if the calipers can be rebuilt or they need to be replaced?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Hard to believe that all four calipers are suddenly sticking due to faulty seals. Perhaps one should focus on a problem in anti-lock braking system. That would have the potential of applying braking force to all wheels and hence the heat even if driving short distances.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Hard to believe that all four calipers are suddenly sticking due to faulty seals. Perhaps one should focus on a problem in anti-lock braking system. That would have the potential of applying braking force to all wheels and hence the heat even if driving short distances.
I was thinking the same thing. Electronically - a faulty module. Mechanically - something sticking in the brake master cylinder. Maybe it's time for a brake fluid flush if water has gotten in and caused some contamination.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I guess I’ll be the one to ask. Do you use one or two feet to drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

I mean when I was still using stock pads I was feeling a lot of heat emanating from the wheel wells when walking by, after typical commute daily driving. No doubt you shouldn't touch the brakes after driving, they are expected to be scalding. Consider that your car is over 4k pounds and the only way your car is able to stop is via medal against metal friction.

The one thing that's suspicious is
Quote:
Originally Posted by LdkE View Post
I realized as well that the car slows unusually fast down as soon as I get of the pedal - not the normal rolling out feeling when you just go off the pedal - a feeling as either the transmission or the brakes slow the car down.
It could be a seized caliper or something else that's been suggested by others but watch out since shops will love to replace parts that don't need replacing in order to help you "narrow down the issue".

Edit: You could try to use a laser IR temperature reader and compare temperatures between each wheel and see if there is any significant difference between left and right for either of the front/rear pairs.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=laser+ir+gun
https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/i...d=0&isViewCP=y

Last edited by windowmaker; 01-13-2019 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowmaker View Post
I mean when I was still using stock pads I was feeling a lot of heat emanating from the wheel wells when walking by, after typical commute daily driving. No doubt you shouldn't touch the brakes after driving, they are expected to be scalding. Consider that your car is over 4k pounds and the only way your car is able to stop is via medal against metal friction.
I've been wondering if there's any real problem here either.

The OP says the brakes were too hot to touch, and a lot of the follow up responses were responding as if he said the wheels are too hot to touch.

The brake discs are going to be too hot to touch, even from pretty minor braking. Don't do that.

Look for differences side to side. Look for a difference in brake dust build up (quantity or colour). Hit the highway for a few miles then get out and look for a smell or intense heat radiating away from one wheel different than the others. Listen for noises.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
The brake discs are going to be too hot to touch, even from pretty minor braking. Don't do that....
Don't know about that. I drove Pikes Peak (Colorado, 14,110' driving summit) about 16 years ago. I stayed off the brakes as much as I could, but had to use them occasionally on the way down and at the brake temperature check station. The ranger couldn't believe the rotor temperature (taken with a temp gun). It was around 100º, IIRC. He asked me if I used my brakes at all and I said pretty much only to stop at his station. If the rotors had been too hot (I don't remember the exact temp) they make people stop for a minimum of something like 15 minutes to allow cooling.

I guess it all depends on what the OP considers "really hot." The OP also hasn't been back here since yesterday morning...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:06 AM   #13
Eisbaer Lars
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks all for your contribution - lots of good advice here which I have to check - will be back with my findings.
Appreciate 0