2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK BMW key

12-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

BMW key

I was recently speaking with a BMW salesman and I raised the issue of keys being cloned by a signal reader from outside the house - so called 'relay theft'.
He told me that, provided that your key is lying flat on a horizontal surface, it does not emit a signal and is therefore undetectable.
I suspect that this is yet another example of BMW sales guff but I'd be interested to know if anyone's heard anything similar...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #2
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

No idea if that's true or not, but I've invested a few quid in a couple of Faraday Bags from Amazon and me and the Mrs's keys live in those when we're at home!!
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Complete guff. IIRC since sometime last year, BMW have introduced a feature on the remote key which means it no longer emits a signal if it is not moving at all after about 2 minutes. Now comes as standard on the new 5 Series G30/G31 apparently.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
No idea if that's true or not, but I've invested a few quid in a couple of Faraday Bags from Amazon and me and the Mrs's keys live in those when we're at home!!
Why?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:22 AM   #5
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobro View Post
Why?

A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure used to block electromagnetic fields. A Faraday shield may be formed by a continuous covering of conductive material or in the case of a Faraday cage, by a mesh of such materials. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.[1]
Play media

Video of a Faraday cage shielding a man from electricity

A Faraday cage operates because an external electrical field causes the electric charges within the cage's conducting material to be distributed such that they cancel the field's effect in the cage's interior. This phenomenon is used to protect sensitive electronic equipment from external radio frequency interference (RFI). Faraday cages are also used to enclose devices that produce RFI, such as radio transmitters, to prevent their radio waves from interfering with other nearby equipment. They are also used to protect people and equipment against actual electric currents such as lightning strikes and electrostatic discharges, since the enclosing cage conducts current around the outside of the enclosed space and none passes through the interior.
Faraday cages cannot block stable or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree, though, they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation. For example, certain computer forensic test procedures of electronic systems that require an environment free of electromagnetic interference can be carried out within a screened room. These rooms are spaces that are completely enclosed by one or more layers of a fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. The metal layers are grounded to dissipate any electric currents generated from external or internal electromagnetic fields, and thus they block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference. See also electromagnetic shielding. They provide less attenuation from outgoing transmissions versus incoming: they can shield EMP waves from natural phenomena very effectively, but a tracking device, especially in upper frequencies, may be able to penetrate from within the cage (e.g., some cell phones operate at various radio frequencies so while one cell phone may not work, another one will).
A common misconception is that a Faraday cage provides full blockage or attenuation; this is not true. The reception or transmission of radio waves, a form of electromagnetic radiation, to or from an antenna within a Faraday cage is heavily attenuated or blocked by the cage; however, a Faraday cage has varied attenuation depending on wave form, frequency or distance from receiver/transmitter, and receiver/transmitter power. Near-field high-powered frequency transmissions like HF RFID are more likely to penetrate. Solid cages generally attenuate fields over a broader range of frequencies than mesh cages.

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0