2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions LDW Actuator Noise Fixed!

02-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
LDW Actuator Noise Fixed!

This is the story of me finally looking into a very annoying problem I've had since I purchased my vehicle.

Since I purchased my 2015 535, I've had an annoying buzzing sound that accompanied the LDW vibration actuator when it was in use. Instead of just causing a vibration in the steering wheel, it sounded like the actuator was loose or somehow just broken, it sounded kind of like a piece of plastic smacking against the actuator.

Today I finally got around to pulling off the airbag and trim piece on the steering wheel. To my amazement, there was a sticker stuck to the end of the actuator, hitting the inside of the steering wheel every time it was activated. I removed the offending sticker and went for a test drive. Surely the fix couldn't be this simple... Sure enough, the annoying buzzing sound is gone! I'm not quite sure where the sticker came from, but I am very glad it was something so simple to fix.

This was very simple and took my all of 15 minutes to take the wheel apart, fix the issue, and reassemble. I don't know why I've waited so long to look into this.

Here are some pictures of the inside of the wheel with the airbag removed, and the offending sticker.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0