2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Steering Wheel Wrap

03-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
j0nblayz
Private
Rep
Drives: f10 535i xdrive

Steering Wheel Wrap

I ended up damaging my steering wheel a bit while I was cleaning with a magic eraser so I ended up ordering a leather wheel wrap from mewant on aliexpress. Finally got some time yesterday to sew the wrap onto my steering wheel, took couple hours but wasn't too bad. Heres some progress details:

The steering wheel before I started
- You can kind of see the damage on the top of the steering wheel, I tried to repair it with some light black paint)

Half way thru sewing
- Took couple tries to get the threading right. Went with the original m-stitch style

Pic of the stitching
- There was bit of a gap between where the leather met, however couldn't pull anymore as I was bit worried the threads was going to rip, hopefully with the heat it will stretch a bit, and I can re-thread)

Sewing completed
- Had to use almost the whole roll of double sided tape to secure the leather all over.

Installed
- Happy with the results, however I feel the red strip on top if very slightly to the left, which will bother me. Im planning to order another set without the red strip, that way it won't make me go crazy when I can't line it up perfect, lol

For anyone thinking of upgrading steering wheel, this might be a cheaper alternative. I believe I paid around $65CAD. Feels and smells like real leather, most likely very cheap grade, but feels great in my hands. Exact same texture as oem. Very happy with the results.
Appreciate 2
John H.221.00
      03-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Sewing is something i need to learn for this. looks great!
Appreciate 0