2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Brake upgrades from other BMW models on F10

10-29-2021, 10:32 PM   #309
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Nicely done! Any detail pics of the spacers and spoke clearance?
Maybe around a 2mm clearance. Kind of hard to photograph properly.
I was interested in seeing the caliper geometry and what section would need to be machined for clearance. No sweat if it's hard to show.

Agreed, looks great!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #310
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
I was interested in seeing the caliper geometry and what section would need to be machined for clearance. No sweat if it's hard to show.

Agreed, looks great!
Machine at your own risk, but I feel like it should be safe to machine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 12:12 AM   #311
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Thanks for that! Reason I ask is not that I've got 343m wheels to worry about, but I do have a set of 408m that I use for winter. That's the M5 factory winter package wheel and I assume the spoke profile is very similar.

Agreed, there's likely several mm worth of material there that could be cautiously removed without significantly impacting the strength of the caliper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #312
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

Quote:
Machine at your own risk, but I feel like it should be safe to machine.
Feck these look so cool unspec!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #313
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian View Post
Feck these look so cool unspec!
Thanks!

I wanted a more bronze-gold orange, but I'm pretty happy with this color as well
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #314
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Wow, totally missed these. Apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Those of us who did the X5m swap, had to use a 4mm spacer to move the caliper outwards, to ensure the rotor surface lines up in the center of the caliper as intended. Did you have to do a similar adjustment to line up caliper with rotor braking surface?
Yep, had to do a 5mm spacer. It's actually what led to such a delay on my project, since the 5mm spacers meant it came in contact with the spokes and I had to wait for 8mm spacers + hub extenders to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman52 View Post
Hi Unspec, thanks for the update on your G30 mod! It seems like this takes a bit more effort than the X5M caliper mod, so can I ask why you went this direction instead of the X5M calipers? They do look really great, though!
The additional effort was really a result of my own mistakes. I didn't account for the 5mm washers when I first fit everything up, so I had to wait for a few weeks for spacers/hub extenders + my own schedule to free up. The X5M calipers were significantly more expensive, around a grand for a pair (when I was shopping) versus 450 for the G generation calipers, so I went with the cheaper option.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #315
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Btw, since we are on the topic of other brakes, I have a feeling that those of us who did the x5m front caliper upgrade, needed to order the Rolls Royce Ghost rotors in order to fit properly without the need for the extra 4mm caliper bolt spacers. Part number for the rotors can be found in the link below. Reason I say this is because the rotors have a different part number from x5m rotors but have the same diameter. The other reason I believe this is because the hub part number is the same between f10 and RR Ghost which uses these same calipers. The only issue is of course the RR rotors are much harder to find and are more expensive..

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1777
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #316
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Btw, since we are on the topic of other brakes, I have a feeling that those of us who did the x5m front caliper upgrade, needed to order the Rolls Royce Ghost rotors in order to fit properly without the need for the extra 4mm caliper bolt spacers. Part number for the rotors can be found in the link below. Reason I say this is because the rotors have a different part number from x5m rotors but have the same diameter. The other reason I believe this is because the hub part number is the same between f10 and RR Ghost which uses these same calipers. The only issue is of course the RR rotors are much harder to find and are more expensive..

It's still a 36mm thick rotor, so it wouldn't change anything about the lateral placement of the caliper and rotor relative to each other. The reason the 4mm space exists is because the knuckle that carries the caliper on the X5m is different from the F10, necessitating the spacers.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 11:47 PM   #317
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's still a 36mm thick rotor, so it wouldn't change anything about the lateral placement of the caliper and rotor relative to each other. The reason the 4mm space exists is because the knuckle that carries the caliper on the X5m is different from the F10, necessitating the spacers.
There wouldn't be a reason for BMW to use a different part number if it was the exact same rotor as the x5 m e70. So that also points to a physical difference in rotors themselves
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #318
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There wouldn't be a reason for BMW to use a different part number if it was the exact same rotor as the x5 m e70. So that also points to a physical difference in rotors themselves
Possible, but also possible that there's just a difference in metallurgy to deal with the weight of the car and better heat dissipation. Heck, BMW has different part numbers just for painted vs unpainted calipers, even though the underlying part is the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #319
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Possible, but also possible that there's just a difference in metallurgy to deal with the weight of the car and better heat dissipation. Heck, BMW has different part numbers just for painted vs unpainted calipers, even though the underlying part is the same.
From a part numbering perspective it makes total sense for painted vs unpainted parts. But you can see they try not to have different part numbers for the same part most of the time. You'll find parts common across Bmw/mini/RR for a lot of the screws/bolts/etc.

I'm any case this is a bit of a moot point I feel as for less than the price of the RR rotors, you can actually get X5M F85 drilled rotors which look superb.. so the 4mm spacers seem negligible in that equation.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 04:20 AM   #320
Johnkwick
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI

Quote:
I have a spreadsheet for all the part numbers for all the various permutations of these brake upgrades. Here is the list for a 550i set up:

Front Rotors: 34116785675, 34116785676
Front Calipers: 34116786817, 34116786818
Front Caliper Carrier: 34116786829 (need two, same # for each side)
Front Pads: 34116851269

Rear Rotors: 34216775289 (need two, same # for each side)
Rear Calipers: 34216793047, 34216793048
Rear Caliper Carrier: 34216793053, 34216793054
Rear Pads: 34216775346

Brake Pad Wear Sensors: Rear (34356791962), Front (34356791958)

Hope it helps!
Hey! Many many thanks for this

I'm upgrading from 330mm to 374mm (F10 528 LCI) using parts above. Gonna import those things all the way from US (528 was F10's non M top trim in here, so no other source other than importing from far far away)

Things like calipers and carrier I found these online on ebay, used condition (80k miles). Would that be okay if I buy used calipers and carrier?

Edit:

Turn out it's hard to source a complete caliper set. There's a company called Elstock which sells brand new front left & right calipers and quite cheap I think. However I think it's only come with the caliper and nothing else.

So to completely build the caliper, I need to buy the highlighted items, am I right? Other than above which is number 3,8,9, and 13 I can re-use these from the current caliper setup right?

Last edited by Johnkwick; 12-23-2021 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #321
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkwick View Post
Hey! Many many thanks for this

I'm upgrading from 330mm to 374mm (F10 528 LCI) using parts above. Gonna import those things all the way from US (528 was F10's non M top trim in here, so no other source other than importing from far far away)

Things like calipers and carrier I found these online on ebay, used condition (80k miles). Would that be okay if I buy used calipers and carrier?

Edit:

Turn out it's hard to source a complete caliper set. There's a company called Elstock which sells brand new front left & right calipers and quite cheap I think. However I think it's only come with the caliper and nothing else.

So to completely build the caliper, I need to buy the highlighted items, am I right? Other than above which is number 3,8,9, and 13 I can re-use these from the current caliper setup right?
I am a little confused. It's super easy to source a whole caliper. Here's a left and right listing I found as the first result:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143922155875
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143917531380

Unsure why you're resorting to sourcing each part individually.

I would rebuild them with new 4,5,6, and 10 parts, but everything else is perfectly fine. The actual lines are the same throughout all the models.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #322
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

It also surprises me that you're needing to source all this stuff from the US, but I've personally never bought these things from within Indonesia, so I couldn't tell you. The pads and rotors are common maintenance parts, so I would certainly hope you could get these locally. The calipers and carriers you may need to find outside Indonesia, though, but ebay is where I would begin that search.

If you find a used set, I would persoanlly rebuild them. All you need is a caliper rebuild kit that will come with seals and a piston. It's pretty simple (and cheap) and you can find tutorials on YouTube. The other option is to buy remanufactured calipers from an auto parts store (likely the same place you'll find the rotors). These are used calipers, but they've been sandblasted and fully rebuilt, so they come out of the box ready to bolt on (or paint). The carrier is usually not included with them, though. I persoanlly bought my rear calipers and carriers used and rebuilt them, so this is a fine option.

This advice only goes for the rears. If you're upgrading to the X5M front calipers, you will not typically find these available to buy remanufactured. These will need to be bought used and then rebuilt yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #323
Johnkwick
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI

Quote:
I am a little confused. It's super easy to source a whole caliper. Here's a left and right listing I found as the first result:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143922155875
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143917531380

Unsure why you're resorting to sourcing each part individually.

I would rebuild them with new 4,5,6, and 10 parts, but everything else is perfectly fine. The actual lines are the same throughout all the models.
Aah, he couldn't ship it to here hence why despite I spent hours scrolling through the listings I've never seen those two listed.

The reason I tried to source each part individually because initially I'm planning to buy brand new caliper housing (Elstock 82-2342 and 83-2342).

I'm sorry this is my first time fiddle with brake system, so judging from the appearance, how do I know if a caliper also come with the caliper carrier?

Found these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313791691192
https://www.ebay.com/itm/403353484503

caliper carrier 34216786829, is it interchangeable with part number 34116786829?

Quote:
It also surprises me that you're needing to source all this stuff from the US, but I've personally never bought these things from within Indonesia, so I couldn't tell you. The pads and rotors are common maintenance parts, so I would certainly hope you could get these locally. The calipers and carriers you may need to find outside Indonesia, though, but ebay is where I would begin that search.

If you find a used set, I would personally rebuild them. All you need is a caliper rebuild kit that will come with seals and a piston. It's pretty simple (and cheap) and you can find tutorials on YouTube. The other option is to buy remanufactured calipers from an auto parts store (likely the same place you'll find the rotors). These are used calipers, but they've been sandblasted and fully rebuilt, so they come out of the box ready to bolt on (or paint). The carrier is usually not included with them, though. I personally bought my rear calipers and carriers used and rebuilt them, so this is a fine option.

This advice only goes for the rears. If you're upgrading to the X5M front calipers, you will not typically find these available to buy remanufactured. These will need to be bought used and then rebuilt yourself.
I think F10 550/F01 760 is rarer than McLaren Senna in here lol

the only remanufacturing listing I saw was the Elstock 82-2342 and 83-2342, but unsure whether it has all the highlighted parts in my previous post. if brake calipers are meant to last forever, I think I shouldn't be worried about 10 year old parts

I saw a great deal for 2x zimmermann 374mm rotor + 2x bosch quietpad on ebay. I can source 34216786829 from local indy as it's also compatible with F01 base model (730/740) which quite popular car in here.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #324
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:

I'm sorry this is my first time fiddle with brake system, so judging from the appearance, how do I know if a caliper also come with the caliper carrier?

caliper carrier 34216786829, is it interchangeable with part number 34116786829?

If brake calipers are meant to last forever, I think I shouldn't be worried about 10 year old parts
If you're looking for parts on ebay, then you can look at the photos and see if the carrier is attached to the caliper or not. Usually they're sold separately, but not always. I've never seen a new or remanufactured caliper come with the carrier, though.

Regarding carrier interchangeability, I don't have a reference to 34216786829 in my spreadsheet, so I'm not sure what car this is from. I tried to pull this up on RealOEM, and a couple other sites, and it would appear at first glance that this part may be discontinued. Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm. I've typically found that there are very few interchangeable parts when you start doing brake mods, so I would personally stick with known part numbers that people have used before. In this case, if you're doing front calipers, the only carrier p/n I would use is 34116786829.

The metal housing of a brake caliper will last forever, as long as it's not overly rusted or corroded, but the rubber seals will not last forever. Brakes are the most important safety component on your car. If I were putting used brakes on my car- even if they were only a few years old- I would replace all the seals and the piston. If the calipers were 10 years old, then it isn't even a question. It's cheap and easy, and then you know for certain the caliper will not fail, so if you're going through all the trouble to upgrade the braking system, why would you not slap a rebuild kit in your caliper?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #325
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Aah, he couldn't ship it to here hence why despite I spent hours scrolling through the listings I've never seen those two listed.

The reason I tried to source each part individually because initially I'm planning to buy brand new caliper housing (Elstock 82-2342 and 83-2342).

Found these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313791691192
https://www.ebay.com/itm/403353484503

I think F10 550/F01 760 is rarer than McLaren Senna in here lol

the only remanufacturing listing I saw was the Elstock 82-2342 and 83-2342, but unsure whether it has all the highlighted parts in my previous post. if brake calipers are meant to last forever, I think I shouldn't be worried about 10 year old parts

I saw a great deal for 2x zimmermann 374mm rotor + 2x bosch quietpad on ebay. I can source 34216786829 from local indy as it's also compatible with F01 base model (730/740) which quite popular car in here.
Remans typically don't come with the carriers, since they're assuming you're going to reuse your original carrier. The carrier is just a hunk of metal, so nothing to rebuild.

Calipers are meant to last forever, however the seals in them are not. The seals will need replacing once in a while, along with the dust boots. If you don't know how to rebuild calipers, just get the remans. For the remans, you'll only need numbers 2, 6, 7, 11, and 12.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #326
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Unspec,

Thanks for posting this info on your install. I decided to go ahead and mount the G30 calipers I purchased. I just found a set of cross drilled/slotted rotors that I think will work. Can you give me a little input on how much you had to trim off the pad? I was watching a video regarding this swap and they stated it was necessary with the 374mm setup.
Thanks
      01-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #327
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson7 View Post
Unspec,

Thanks for posting this info on your install. I decided to go ahead and mount the G30 calipers I purchased. I just found a set of cross drilled/slotted rotors that I think will work. Can you give me a little input on how much you had to trim off the pad? I was watching a video regarding this swap and they stated it was necessary with the 374mm setup.
Thanks
I did not trim the pads. You do not need to trim the pads if you go 374mm, only needed if you go with the stock rotor size (348 or something?). I got the 760i 374mm rotors just to be safe, since it has a slightly smaller hat.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #328
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Ok, thanks for the info. That's good to know!
      01-06-2022, 05:25 AM   #329
Bulwa
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Finally got around to do the full setup of X5 M fronts and m5 rears. The rears are stock m5 caliper and bracket without any adapters. The discs are 370mm from the rear of the F01/F07 without any modifications. The fronts did NOT clear my stock alpina wheels so I added a 3mm spacer which seems to have done the trick. Super close though..

(As mentioned by others who've done this before me, I had to get the 4mm spacers which I have listed the part number in a previous post)

No cutting or modification of any kind was needed, all 4 corners bolted right up. Had the calipers painted black and using EBC yellows(expecting some serious brake dust but the bite on the yellows is really good)

Will post better/cleaner pictures once everything is put back together
Hey addy27,

I am doing X5M front upgrade on my F06 650i xDrive. I am all clear on this, but I noticed that you have retroffited also M5 brakes on rear. Can you share some more details?

M5 brackets and calipers are from F10 I assume.

I already have 345x24 rear rotors. These are the same used in some F01/F07 applications 34216775289. 34216775291 is the 370x24 which is used also on Alpina B6 (F06).

Now looking at the rear caliper, the M5 (F10) seems visually the same as the 50i one. The part numbers differ, I assume because the M5s are painted blue. Do you have insights on this? I could potentially just swap the 345s for 370s.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1825

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1825
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:39 AM   #330
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

M5 Caliper Carrier (Bracket) is physically different from 550i Caliper Carrier (Bracket) and not just a paint difference.

Take a look at this M5 Caliper (Carrier with screw holes exposed) : https://www.ebay.com/itm/14409984599...MAAOSwMUBg4IYb

vs

These 550i/650i calipers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/22439635050...temCondition=4

You can get the M5 brackets and fit your 550i calipers on them and run 370x24 rotors. So basically, the M5 rear calipers and carriers can be bolted straight on to non-M F10s/F06 hubs and run 370x24 rotors.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
Bulwa1.50