2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications So Many Codes - Don't know where to start

09-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
kswan23
Rep
Drives: 535i

So Many Codes - Don't know where to start

My 2011 535i has just turned 104,000... not that many miles I thought. Until now, I've never had any issues with it. Regular maintenance, everyday family driver.

About 3 months ago started getting the "Drivetrain Malfunction " error with reduce power. No abnormal sounds or shaking, just the error. Typically this was after a moment of aggressive driving in traffic. Stop, turn the car off for 2 min, turn back on and it was fine. After some research, seems this is a normal issue.

Now I have other issues popping up. 2 weeks ago, air conditioning went out and now blows hot and last week, engine fan began cycling on and off every 10 seconds. Seems my water pump may be going out.

I have a Carly adapter to run a diagnostics and I have a couple of codes in need help dissecting:

- Fault: Air mass plausibility: air mass too high
- Code: 102001

-Fault: Engine Cooling: Coolant pump speed is outside the tolerance
- Code: 20A701

- Fault: Boost pressure control, plausibility: pressure too high
- Code: 120208

- Fault: Boost pressure control: shutdown due to reaction
- Code: 120408

- Fault: High-pressure fuel injection upon release: too low pressure
- Code: OBD 02 P11A401

- Fault: High-pressure fuel at or after the release of injection (second environmental condition set by time delay) to low pressure
- Code: OBD 02 P11B401

- Fault: :Interface DME / DDE: forced upshift requested by motor overtemperature or invalid signal (status switch warm-up drive 0x3FB)
- Code: 421722

- Fault: :PWM reduction due to excess temperature / PWM reduction due to overtemperature
- Code: 800334

- Fault: :Parking heater: not done Leitungsbefuellung / Stalemate irreversible module error
- Code: 8011FF

- Fault: :Compressor: shutdown due to low pressure in the refrigerant circuit
- Code: 801225

- Fault: :K-LIN 6 xAUC Sensor: Internal sensor error
- Code: C90D60

Where do I start?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #2
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Your mass sensor code is set due to your fuel pump not delivery enough fuel. Hence "air mass to high." The over temperature codes are set due to your water pump probably failing. I would ignore the boost codes for the time being. Seeing as you have a 535 with 100k, water pumps for that model is a common problem. Not to sure on the hpfp but seeing as it's a common failure in the v8s wouldn't surprise me. Most will tell you to clear the codes and see what codes set again. I would be hesitant to letting the car warm up since it already is sensing over temp conditions and I would not want to over heat the engine. I would check the water pump operation before anything else. GL!
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I had something like that just recently. Found the my fuel sensor wasn't fully connected. Problem with a myriad of other errors continued. Found my battery ground sensor was also loose. Plugged that fully back in. Problem still continues with a list of errors. Found that my ecu connectors weren't properly and fully seated.

After all that all the errors went away.

Lots of fun chasing that down.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

My car is in 100k mile now and I had to change AC condenser and water pump. HPFP could be going out... We 2011 cars share same HPFP as N54 cars which were notorious to fail. I would grab one of the rebuild ones from ebay and not China made for like $200. I bought one extra in case and it came rebuild from Cali. I don't know if air mass too high is related to fuel pump because I get it too but mine is tuned car and my rail pressure is healthy 2900.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Curious - do you pull these codes by looking into each module AFTER a code flashes in your car? Or is there no code flashing, just through searching using carly? thx
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #6
kswan23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Curious - do you pull these codes by looking into each module AFTER a code flashes in your car? Or is there no code flashing, just through searching using carly? thx
Quote:
I use the Carly Bluetooth reader. I ran diagnostics of the car and made notes of any codes, cleared all codes and ran the diagnostics again to see what continually came up. These were the top noted.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #7
kswan23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
Your mass sensor code is set due to your fuel pump not delivery enough fuel. Hence "air mass to high." The over temperature codes are set due to your water pump probably failing. I would ignore the boost codes for the time being. Seeing as you have a 535 with 100k, water pumps for that model is a common problem. Not to sure on the hpfp but seeing as it's a common failure in the v8s wouldn't surprise me. Most will tell you to clear the codes and see what codes set again. I would be hesitant to letting the car warm up since it already is sensing over temp conditions and I would not want to over heat the engine. I would check the water pump operation before anything else. GL!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
I think you for reconfirming. This is exactly what I have thought as well.
Appreciate 0