2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Class action suit.

01-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #23
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
Well that still doesnt resolve the issue of the oil consumption will they address that with valve guides etc?
Nope. They said because of the seepage at the bell housing the claim for the valve seals was denied. Not understanding the logic but I'm done playing around with it, I've got to figure out my next move outside of the dealership and the lawsuit, I've chased my tail long enough going back to them.
      01-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #24
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 550I, 07 335I,

There have been reports of bell housing rear main leaks and oil pan leaks being misdiagnosed because of a failed oil return housing gasket found on top of the engine beneath the turbos. It will collect there to only then trickle down the back side of the engine near the fire wall. You would almost hope they did their due diligence to make sure that wasn't the case.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #25
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After 28 days at the dealership I finally was able to get delivery of my 11 550i. They replaced the following at no charge. Valve guides, both turbos, oil return housing,all associated gaskets, clamps hoses,oil feed and drain lines,vent tubes, coils, coolant lines, aux pump, an assortment orings and fittings, coolant flush and oil change.
The car runs strong and thus far no signs of oil fumes or blow-by even after extended idle. They did mention that they had to do extensive cleaning of the upper engine as there was sludge everywhere. So in my case the class action suit guidelines were adhered to flawlessly by the dealer. I have now a two year warranty with unlimited miles on every repair they did. Now I will just have to see if I have to add any oil between my next oil change.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #26
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Any thoughts if this oil consumption test/repair would apply to a car that has already had motor (used from lkq) replaced?
Need to take car in for recall anyways, would be nice to get this started at same time.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #27
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I imagine that depends if you agreed to sign on as a class member on the suit. The suits states as a class member you are eligible to receive some compensation for any cost you encured related to trying to resolve the oil consumption. If you own a class car regardless if you signed on as a class member or not you are eligible to receive a free consumption test. In my case they simply logged onto my cars fault history and saw I had multiple low oil codes within 5k. In my case I had 8 despite the car being topped off each time. If it fails the test then they attempt to fix the car. Btw this is all written up in the suit. I did read though a section that said they will offer one engine swap depending on the cars condition and the cost to the owner is dependent on the number of miles on the car. Some have gotten a free swap due to warranties or based on the mileage and in some cases because of the previous relationships they have with the dealerships it appears. So best bet is to read the claim settlement and see how it applies to your situation and contact your local dealership
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:47 PM   #28
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Any thoughts if this oil consumption test/repair would apply to a car that has already had motor (used from lkq) replaced?
Need to take car in for recall anyways, would be nice to get this started at same time.
Matt
I'd say you're up the creek without the proverbial paddle. The engine s/n won't match the chassis number. They will use that to deny engine warranty as they can't validate the engine's history. For all they know that engine came from the moon.

Hopefully I'm wrong...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #29
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Final Update

It's been about 3 weeks since getting back my 11 550i car from the dealership. Thus far all seems good. I've driven the car about 800 miles and I have not gotten any low oil faults so that's def an improvement, as prior I would have gone through 2 quarts by now. I have to say as the turbos have heat cycled multiple times they have become much more responsive and lag is no longer an issue. One thing I have noticed is lower engine temps which I suspect is from the coolant being replaced. The advice I would give anyone if they are going to contact a dealership is to be well educated with the guidelines outlined in the class action suit and be sure to understand the subtle clauses that are included. Based on my experience...If you have over 90k I really believe getting the valve guides sorted and/or new turbos and associated oil components at no cost is a fair compromise when you consider the out of pocket costs and the huge delay on the back logged replacement engines.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00