2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Slow to Warm Up - 520d F11 N47

01-21-2019, 04:26 AM   #1
AndyJc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11

Slow to Warm Up - 520d F11 N47

Hi guys, first post

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I did have a search and couldn't find anything specific to my problem.

I've recently noticed that the car is taking longer to warm up that it used to. I live in the UK, it's winter, so I realise it will take longer than when the ambient temperatures are higher but it seems to take a lot longer than it did a few weeks ago. My usual commute is 7 miles, including up and down a fairly steep hill. By the time I get to work the oil is around 80°c and coolant 68°c with outside temperatures in the region of 6°c. In fact, I've found when I'm coming down the other side of the hill the coolant temperature can actually drop (from say 65°c to 63°c).
I've noticed this is having a big impact on the fuel economy and am also concerned it won't be getting hot enough for a DPF regen. I also notice that the start stop is not cutting the engine out in traffic (possibly because the PTC electric heater is running longer than it should?). It does get a weekly run of 60 miles down the motorway but even then it can take 10+ miles to reach full temp.

My initial thoughts were a sticky thermostat so I've replaced that but it's made no improvement. Not sure it's relevant but I had the wet rear foot well issue to remove the panel to get to the yellow grommet and it seems to have happened since around that time. Could I have inadvertently knocked or touched something that could be causing this?

Grateful for anyone's opinions or suggestions
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
AndyJc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11

Any ideas guys? Struggling with this one a bit

Oil thermostat maybe?

Left the house yesterday (ambient 7 degrees) and after 30 miles on the motorway the temperature was still only 75 degrees. It went up to 88 after I shut the heater right off but this isn't really an option on a cold day.
Appreciate 0