2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Diesel Maintenance?

05-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X35i

F10 Diesel Maintenance?

Hi there!

Recently got into a 535dx - this is my first diesel since the diesel gate VW Jetta. I plan on keeping this car for life - was wondering what maintenance I should do?

I would normally do plugs and coils at 85k - however I don't know a thing about glow plugs. Should I replace these ever?

I just replaced my fuel filter - how often should that be changed on a diesel?

I'm going to assume the OFHG , valve cover gasket, and oil pan gaskets will end up leaking like my n55 f15 and previous e60. Is that true?

Do the fuel injectors on a diesel clog up? I have been using liqui Moly diesel additive.

Thanks for any input - I'm a DIY kind of guy when it makes since with my busy schedule. Looking forward to diving in to the diesel engine!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #2
Procommuter
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535D

My 2014 535d is at 253,000 miles. Only had to do fluid changes to this point and filters. Did have to replace turbo at 220,000. I run hot shot secret or lucus in fuel regularly. Only unexpected repair was for plastic water neck on drivers side of engine, it split.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #3
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillFox91 View Post
Hi there!

Recently got into a 535dx - this is my first diesel since the diesel gate VW Jetta. I plan on keeping this car for life - was wondering what maintenance I should do?
I would be careful to do it all correctly, but also pay attention to common areas of concern such as the rubber engine vibration damper (starts to fail by making the serpentine belt get a bit loose) and transfer case (oil may need to be changed as well as the rear differential). My mechanic says to change the serpentine belt around 80,000 miles even though it might look good.

Quote:
I would normally do plugs and coils at 85k - however I don't know a thing about glow plugs. Should I replace these ever?
Living in a very cold area may require some preventive maintenance but I would just replace them all when the first one fails - depends on what the mechanic says is easier.

Quote:
I just replaced my fuel filter - how often should that be changed on a diesel?
Every fourth oil change usually (40,000 miles)

Quote:
I'm going to assume the OFHG , valve cover gasket, and oil pan gaskets will end up leaking like my n55 f15 and previous e60. Is that true?
Not as much an issue with well engineered BMW diesels.

Quote:
Do the fuel injectors on a diesel clog up? I have been using liqui Moly diesel additive.
I refer you to the diesel fuel additive discussions and multiple opinions.

Quote:
Thanks for any input - I'm a DIY kind of guy when it makes since with my busy schedule. Looking forward to diving in to the diesel engine!
There are also multiple opinions on changing the transmission oil/filter/pan and when, the engine oil that is best etc. The Diesel Emission Fluid (DEF or urea fluid) system can be problematic on some of these cars. The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) not so much.

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler is on official recall on many of these cars with no known solution yet. Some High Pressure Fuel Pumps (HPFP) are on recall depending on the VIN number of the car as they can implode and ruin the entire fuel system with metal pieces so I would check on that too, but this happens rarely.

Enjoy browsing!

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 05-21-2022 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-22-2022, 06:07 PM   #4
auntulna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d, 2005 Passat TDI

Pierre is very knowledgeable regarding diesels.

My modest amount of knowledge is that unless you have an overhead lift, pay a professional to change your transmission, differential, and maybe transfer case fluids. I did the hard way, and without the overhead ease of position, you might kill yourself, heh. The plastic/fiber and its nuts will drive you insane.

So far, I've had a Passat TDI, 335D, and still have a 2014 535D Xdrive. I did the full delete in the 335, and it was a monster of a machine, only Stage 2, but EGR, cooler, DEF, Cat, and everything downstream was gone. That was nice. I got older and went to the 535.

Then I got the DEF tank fill level code, which gives you 1000 miles of driving. It was already full. Entire tank must be replaced, dealer quote $2500. I chose Stage 1 tune, included ignoring DEF and SCR function, no problems now for 20,000 miles and counting. Maybe you should register it in Idaho? To my knowledge, the 535D motor is not as susceptible to carbon buildup as the 335. So there's that.

They aren't making these anymore, so why not go all out?
Appreciate 2