2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Do you like chain restaurants?

05-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #23
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Do guys go to Hooters for wings?
I actually like Hooter’s wings. I’ve ordered them to go before.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #24
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

This should probably go in the "confess here" thread, but I really like Red Lobster
      05-21-2022, 10:15 PM   #25
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I did when I was younger and was “inspired” for a new concept similar to Hooters but where the patrons were provided squirt guns. But I never got it together to startup Nips and now I think the political correctness window has closed.
      05-21-2022, 10:19 PM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopa View Post
I like Buca di Beppo
Really? I’ve never heard anyone say that. There was one open near me and it closed within 2 years. I thought it was the worst Italian food I’ve ever had.

For OP’s original question, I think the fast casual chains like Fridays, Chili’s, Outback, etc. are all tired and can’t remember the last time I went to one. It’s not that I hate them all, but just prefer local restaurants.
      05-22-2022, 04:23 AM   #27
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Haha, did you take a pic? Was he hot at least? LMAO.
He kept my iced tea glass full, which was all that mattered to me after a hot day at the track.

My bigger concern was the impending radio interview. I've done plenty of TV/radio appearances over the years, but was sweating that one because I was a late addition to that racing team. It was a classic rock radio station (a genre that I listened to), and we were racing a car covered with decals and lyrics from a music group that, um, has a cult following that I was unfortunately not a part of. Since DJ's generally don't know much about racing, I was sure that the interview was going to quickly pivot to this group's music. I feared being asked what my favorite tour was, what album I thought was their best work, or, gasp, to even name half of the group's members outside of the lead performer. Fortunately for me, the other two team members fielded all of those questions, and left me to talk about the car and racing.....
      05-22-2022, 10:18 AM   #28
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Really? I’ve never heard anyone say that. There was one open near me and it closed within 2 years. I thought it was the worst Italian food I’ve ever had.

For OP’s original question, I think the fast casual chains like Fridays, Chili’s, Outback, etc. are all tired and can’t remember the last time I went to one. It’s not that I hate them all, but just prefer local restaurants.
Same. That is why I was laughing a few years ago when they were blaming millennials or whatever for the death of fast casual. It was stupid.

What killed fast casual was the bifurcation of the market. The middle class is dividing into upper and lower and each had more specific needs and wants. The poorer families were not splashing out on red lobster, they had to go cheaper/simpler to get the kids fed. Then wealthier childless weirdos like myself pivoted to "experience eating" where we didn't want simple consistency but something better.

So ina given Tuesday middle class families are doing Chick Fil A while I'm meeting my friends at the oyster pub or the new fancy brewery they built in a rehabbed 100 year old bus depot with garage doors that open to a city view deck. Hipster shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #29
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Only time i ever go to big chain restaurants would be in a travel situation where a quick meal is needed and options are limited or unknown. Flight just arrived and need something to eat before bed? I know what to expect at the local chili's. Other than that, I never go to those type of restaurants. Unhealthy, low quality, high sodium meals.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:37 PM   #30
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
It was the ONLY place open within walking distance to our hotel on a recent business trip. Believe me we tried to go somewhere else.

Got the wings. Thankfully that was the tenth and not earlier into the meal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
vreihen1614882.00
      05-22-2022, 11:42 PM   #31
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Depends. Things like Fridays or Chilis I just don't care for that type of food. Then places like Olive Garden I have plenty of better Italian places around. However certain things like steak I tend to go to chains because there aren't many great local options at reasonable prices. I love me a NY strip from Longhorn but they HAVE to make it with their 7 pepper seasoning, otherwise I don't care for it. Just recently we found a local place that makes a decent steak and isn't insanely priced, but a meal there is still probably double what it costs to go to Longhorn. While the steak is better at the local place, I'm not sure it's twice as good.

We also do smaller chains, like I love Burgerfi burgers and when we can't really decide on anything we tend to go to Duffys which I believe is more of a local chain. However I would say most of our meals out are at local places.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 05:22 AM   #32
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Hurricane Wings and Grill (a mostly Florida chain) opened a restaurant near us in NY state about 5 years ago. Went there with my best friend a few weeks after they opened. The sign says "wings and grill" outside (*). He ordered some special that was neither, and was extremely disappointed. He told the manager that he should look for a new job, because that restaurant concept didn't work in NY and would be out of business in three months.

Five years later, the restaurant is still open...and my best friend is gone due to COVID.

(*) What is it with people who go into a chinese buffet and complain that their pizza sucks? Order what their sign says, not what they put out on the buffet to say that they have an option for some picky rug rat that won't eat chinese food!!!!!
      05-23-2022, 06:42 AM   #33
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Hurricane Wings and Grill (a mostly Florida chain) opened a restaurant near us in NY state about 5 years ago. Went there with my best friend a few weeks after they opened. The sign says "wings and grill" outside (*). He ordered some special that was neither, and was extremely disappointed. He told the manager that he should look for a new job, because that restaurant concept didn't work in NY and would be out of business in three months.

Five years later, the restaurant is still open...and my best friend is gone due to COVID.

(*) What is it with people who go into a chinese buffet and complain that their pizza sucks? Order what their sign says, not what they put out on the buffet to say that they have an option for some picky rug rat that won't eat chinese food!!!!!
Don’t worry, they suck down here, too. I went a second time thinking I just had a bad first experience - the food just isn’t good.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410876.00
vreihen1614882.00
      05-23-2022, 06:47 AM   #34
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Only a few chains I enjoy and most would be for lunch.
Cheesecake Factory
Brio/Bravo
Fords Garage
Ruth’s Chris steakhouse
Chains can be good because you know what you're getting, but I tend to eat in one off's, my wife and I like eating out and enjoy a variety of different places, fine dinning to food trucks and greasy spoons.

I was in Vegas in April, first time I'd ever eaten at Ruths Chris, it was ok but for the money not worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4467.00
vreihen1614882.00
      05-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #35
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
When we were on the road yesterday, I wanted to stop at Chick-fil-A for a quick lunch since we don't have any back home. Didn't happen though, because the entire chain is closed on Sundays!

Seriously though, I've had it twice before, and wouldn't have stopped even if they *were* open.....
      05-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #36
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Its funny because its the ONLY time I seem to want CFA is on a Sunday, so I rarely eat it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #37
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Chains I like:

McDonald's
5 Guys
P.F. Chang's
Potbelly's
Giordano's
Jet's Pizza
Chik Fil A

Chains I don't like:

Cheesecake Factory
In n Out Burger
Denny's
Arby's
Burger King

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #38
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
When we were on the road yesterday, I wanted to stop at Chick-fil-A for a quick lunch since we don't have any back home. Didn't happen though, because the entire chain is closed on Sundays!

Seriously though, I've had it twice before, and wouldn't have stopped even if they *were* open.....
I don't see the hype. It's a freaking chicken sandwich. Their nuggets are pretty greasy and give me instant heart burn. The few times I've been there the service was excellent, but I only need so much service when going to a fast food drive through. They also typically have a big ass line, I don't do lines. So yeah I almost never go there.

Fast food I'll take Culvers, Burgerfi (semi-fast) or for some tenders I like me some Zaxbys or Boojangles. In NC I find people seem to LOOOOVE some chain called Cookout. OMG there's a million of them and they always have a line. I have not eaten there, but when nephews were visiting we stopped and they got a burger and some tenders I believe. Didn't seem like anything special from the looks of it.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00
      05-23-2022, 02:21 PM   #39
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

You are correct. Grossly overpriced Italian food with blah taste.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:31 PM   #40
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I don't get any of those US fastfood chains which I love such as Jack in the Box and Carl's Jr. I think In 'n Out is overrated, don't get the hype there at all.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #41
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:

You would think they were giving away crack down here. The lines at the Chicfila's at lunch are insane! They turn and burn people out though
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00
      05-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #42
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Chick-fil-A is the only chain I venture to, and often just for a quick and easy lunch. Always did chains growing up. Middle of PA didn't have much to offer. Now in Charleston I always try to go to a different restaurant (unless family or for business because I want to ensure I pick somewhere I know is good).

I really just like variety, especially with the number of fantastic restaurants in this area.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #43
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Fast food I'll take Culvers, Burgerfi (semi-fast) or for some tenders I like me some Zaxbys or Boojangles. In NC I find people seem to LOOOOVE some chain called Cookout. OMG there's a million of them and they always have a line.
We tried to stop at Cookout last spring to find out what the hype was, but they were closed due to COVID!

There's actually a Culvers down the street from our hotel in SC, and I plan on trying them tomorrow for dinner. I'm munching down the last of my Zaxby's chicken strips as I type this. We had Bojangles last year, and it was good.

The one that bothers me is Sonny's BBQ. Tried it three times at different locations, and it was always dry and meh. In comparison, we stopped at a hole-in-the-wall independent BBQ buffet off of I-95 in the center of some town, and would absolutely make that detour again just for the hushpuppies.....
      05-23-2022, 09:21 PM   #44
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I just don't enjoy the experience any more, its ABSURDLY expensive. For 2 adult and 2 kids it's very, very easy to spend $100 on lunch ffs. Nothing fancy, 4 drinks, 4 burgers or whatever and wham, $92. No thanks.
Appreciate 1