2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMWs Temporarily Being Shipped Without Apple CarPlay, Android Auto

05-08-2022, 03:28 PM   #89
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Great information. My current iPhone 11 has Bluetooth 5.0. I will be picking up the new iPhone this Fall, I don't know if it will be upgraded to 5.2, I hope so as I've heard there are Wi-Fi deletions. My build won't start to at least July, but I don't expect the chip shortage to be resolved anytime soon😞
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #90
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The streaming sound quality is better with CarPlay because it used Wi-Fi to transfer data instead of Bluetooth, which has allows for a higher fidelity rate.

However, this might not matter in iDrive 8 and beyond because that uses the Bluetooth 5.2 version, who's transfer rate is equivalent to Wi-Fi. I believe iDrive 7 still uses the older 4.2 version.
I will try it out again, but I have really noticed an improvement with the native Spotify app.
      05-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #91
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

3/2022 software

I just had my 2020 M550 updated to the 3/2022 Software this past Monday, May 2nd. It added Android Auto, Spotify, I Drive tailor selected driving modes and more....
Attached Images

05-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #92
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
I just had my 2020 M550 updated to the 3/2022 Software this past Monday, May 2nd. It added Android Auto, Spotify, I Drive tailor selected driving modes and more....
Are you on ID7?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 05:55 PM   #93
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Are you on ID7?
Yes, though my car is a weird beast. It's being called LCI light.....I have I Drive 7, but cant do OTA updates, I have everything a LCI car has minus that and headlights and tails. Really weird, but I will take the big engine update and live with it.
      05-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #94
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Yes, though my car is a weird beast. It's being called LCI light.....I have I Drive 7, but cant do OTA updates, I have everything a LCI car has minus that and headlights and tails. Really weird, but I will take the big engine update and live with it.
Unfortunately you do not have everything an LCI G30 has. You have older hardware and if you have Driver Assist or park assist options you have the same as what's included in a 2017-2019. However, enjoy what you have, it's awesome.
      05-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #95
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Unfortunately you do not have everything an LCI G30 has. You have older hardware and if you have Driver Assist or park assist options you have the same as what's included in a 2017-2019. However, enjoy what you have, it's awesome.
I dont have driver assist, but do have Parking Assist Pro and with the new software update it added this newer 3D view with these "white orbs" that direct you in reversing. It's pretty cool. I will take these updates and what they offer.
      05-08-2022, 07:09 PM   #96
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dont have driver assist, but do have Parking Assist Pro and with the new software update it added this newer 3D view with these "white orbs" that direct you in reversing. It's pretty cool. I will take these updates and what they offer.
Just to be clear, you have park assist plus. You don't have reverse assist or drive recorder......

Nevertheless, you have a great car. ID7 lite is still awesome. I wish I had it in my 2019.
      05-08-2022, 07:17 PM   #97
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The streaming sound quality is better with CarPlay because it used Wi-Fi to transfer data instead of Bluetooth, which has allows for a higher fidelity rate.

However, this might not matter in iDrive 8 and beyond because that uses the Bluetooth 5.2 version, who's transfer rate is equivalent to Wi-Fi. I believe iDrive 7 still uses the older 4.2 version.
How do you know iDrive 8 includes Bluetooth 5.2? And how do you know BMW has enabled all it's features? Aptx has been around for a bit, and as far as I know, iphones don't support it.
      05-08-2022, 07:20 PM   #98
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just to be clear, you have park assist plus. You don't have reverse assist or drive recorder......

Nevertheless, you have a great car. ID7 lite is still awesome. I wish I had it in my 2019.
Correct Claykin, It's Plus not Pro. My bad on that. However what was updated to that program was HUGE compared to what it was. I havent even dipped into it yet so I dont know if there is drive recording or something like that added. I noticed the new 3D "orb" thing backing into my garage. I do know that there is now a "track recording" app that was added to my I Drive. So much new stuff to go through to figure it all out.

Lots of things were updated. I can now set transmission shifts in drive modes.
      05-08-2022, 08:30 PM   #99
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

How do you know iDrive 8 includes Bluetooth 5.2? And how do you know BMW has enabled all it's features? Aptx has been around for a bit, and as far as I know, iphones don't support it.
Honestly, it's an educated guess based on the fact it's the latest Bluetooth chipset available and it seems BMW is using cutting technology technology on the ID8 and Bluetooth 5.2 is the only version that can transfer album art for Android Auto devices, which ID8 is capable of achieving but not the earlier versions of ID7.

So my assumption is it's using the latest version of Bluetooth, not necessarily just for just hi-res audio but stability and future-proofing. Which, as you mentioned, Apple devices are not yet capable of achieving hi-res audio, which I guess I should made that more clear.

When something official is published, I'll link it to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 09:21 PM   #100
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I never new iD7 lite existed. My wife's 2017 X5 has iD6 but when I became interested in a 8 series the 2019s launched with iD7 including OTA. I didn't get a 2019 but rather a 2020. Irony is some of my fellow brethren with 2019s were initially told they couldn't get Drive Recorder but just like for me it came with an OTA update.

I have all the Driver Assist packages plus Parking Assist Pro, Reverse Assistant, etc. on my 2020. However, those with the 2019s also have the Parking Assistance for even when outside of the car as it requires the Display Key which came with the 2019s but dropped with the 2020s and forward.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 09:24 PM   #101
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you on ID7?
I have an M550xi now, the engine is magnificent! But I'm looking forward to smaller car in the G80. It will interesting to learn to live with the power delivery difference (no matter how much power the G80 produces, an 8 cylinder and 6 cylinder at different beasts!)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 01:55 AM   #102
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
I assume you had Pre July 2020 software ?

the 20-07 ilevel added Android Auto, as well as improved carplay integration.

But this is different to the new situation with the chip changes
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 05:31 AM   #103
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtopher84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8face View Post
One thing I loved about CarPlay on ID6 was that the voice button on the steering wheel activated Siri, even while ACP was just running in the background, which made for example searching a destination incredibly quick and easy. Once the destination popped up on screen, scroll down a couple clicks, select "Send to BMW Nav" and it would flip over to the car's native navigation. Always preferred this as directions would then be on the HUD. Haven't used this in ID7 yet but hoping that's still how it works when my new car arrives. Voice to text also very useful
In ID7 the CarPlay directions are in the HUD too. I only have ID6, which is a bummer because I would love this feature.
Is Car Play music playlists in the HUD on idrive 7? I really wish this was in ID6. Same for Google Maps nav.
I used Spotify and Pandora native in iDrive 6.

The Pandora implementation was garbage. An utter joke. Sound quality was muffled like coming from the bottom of a metal can.

Spotify iDrive Ui was decent for the most part, with decent sound quality over BT. Some sporadic issues here and there that never got resolved in ID6. I feel that since ID6 is ancient history and now 5 years old, BMW no longer has any incentive whatsoever to update/fix some old time lingering issues.

As of last week's Spotify app update, it no longer loads natively in ID6 as part of BMW connected apps🤦🏻. Only Pandora loads natively which I don't really care for. Pretty shite move in part of Spotify to disable ID6 support from one day to the next.

In light of this event, took the plunge and paid BMW the $300 fee to enable Apple Carplay in my car. I truly avoided in the 4-5 years since I bought the car but losing native ID6 support for Spotify broke the camel's neck.

Why didn't I do this years ago? Carplay sound quality is worlds better (Wifi vs BT native) and the UI and user experience is much better. Still resent BMW for penalizing 2017-2018 ID6 owners with a robbery $300 fee for something that should have been part of the car since the get go. Anyway, I am enjoying unlocking this feature in the car and vastly bettee sound quality.
Audio quality plus the choice of music choices with CarPlay can't be matched by any inbuilt car infotainment system. On ID6 you can also code the full screen CarPlay which is also worth it.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      05-09-2022, 05:44 AM   #104
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:

As far as I know, CarPlay streaming supports CD quality output with lossless source. That should be significantly better than the inbuilt apps and virtually indistinguishable from aptX from an audio perspective. My 2 cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 07:12 AM   #105
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

We're expecting our '22 X5 M50i in the next few weeks. It'll be interesting to see how much stuff it's missing when delivered and what they're going to do about it. Hell, I've got wireless CarPlay in my '21 Miata so not having it in the new X5 will be a disappointment. If everything can be made right after delivery (wireless charging, CarPlay, power lift gate) then to me it's a minor annoyance. If some of these things will never make it on to the car, it'll be a decision to make at time of delivery whether we take it or not.

It's interesting what some are saying about the absence of these features affecting resell value. Maybe in a private sell but I'm guessing on a trade it would never be noticed. Can you imagine trading your missing feature BMW in at a BMW dealer and hearing your trade in value is affected by their inability to produce the car you ordered?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 08:50 AM   #106
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

As far as I know, CarPlay streaming supports CD quality output with lossless source. That should be significantly better than the inbuilt apps and virtually indistinguishable from aptX from an audio perspective. My 2 cents worth.
I think you're right. But lossless requires Wi-Fi, yes? As far as I know Bluetooth isn't lossless capable
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #107
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

2020 continues to be the model year to have.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #108
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you're right. But lossless requires Wi-Fi, yes? As far as I know Bluetooth isn't lossless capable
Sony's LDAC is capable of lossless CD quality sound using Bluetooth 4.0.
Qualcomm's APTX Adaptive can also do the same using Bluetooth 5.0. That said, you'll need a compatible device and a question none of us can reliably answer is whether the iDrive hardware can decode it.
      05-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #109
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Maybe some of you already have seen it, there is an official statement from BMW now…
In short: There is new hardware already in those cars, but software is not ready yet, therefore an update will make it available.

Due to current supply bottlenecks for semiconductors, new hardware for so-called head units was used in a number of BMW models (vehicles with Operating System 7). As a result, the BMW Group was able to meet its delivery commitments for vehicles to its BMW customers despite worldwide supply shortfalls of semiconductor components for head units. However, for a short period of time, from January to April 2022, it was not possible to certify the required software for the special function: integration of Apple Car Play and Android Auto, Wifi Hotspot and RSU upgrades via Wifi in the same time and consequently to offer it parallel to the new head unit hardware. This resulted in a temporary omission of these non-critical functions.
As of today, the software is certified and available with all known functions incl. integration of Apple Car Play and Android Auto, Wifi Hotspot and RSU upgrades via Wifi as described in the SA6P1 since 01.05.2022 in the vehicles. All vehicles produced in the affected period from January to April 2022 without the corresponding software will receive the software over-the-air with the upcoming RSU campaign 03-22.
This will primarily affect vehicles in Germany and a number of European countries. Vehicles in the US market are not affected.
Appreciate 1
Drmsa43.00
      05-09-2022, 12:08 PM   #110
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Is this real? Official communication from BMW that is actually informative? Is there some kind of celestial event happening?
Appreciate 0