2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N63 coolant leak that dealer can't fix

03-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Really can't stand this engine and bmws terrible service.

N63 car has 115k miles

Back story- Car would burn oil every 100 miles. Car would burn coolant everywhere 1000 miles. Right before the recall car started leaking coolant under the car. Also I would smell coolant from the vents.

1/2019- Car went into BMW for MAJOR service. New valve seals, oil actuators, turbos, rear oil/coolant cover were installed. Out of pocket I paid to do a full cooling overhaul. All the coolant lines on top, on the bottom, the Y line, water pump, AUX water pump, thermostat, lower temperature sensor, coolant reservoir, coolant sensor were all replaced. Also plugs, vanos solenoids, PCV system were overhauled.

2/2019- I get the car back after 4 weeks. One hour after pickup I get a low coolant error and still smell coolant from vents. I check the tank low coolant add it...and now light stays on. I drop the car off again and a week later get another bill for $1k. They say the reservoir is leaking and is aftermarket. After much argument I pay just the part $205.

3/2019 - I drive the car 4 days and this morning check the tank and it's pretty much empty again. I still smell coolant from the vents the dealer says it's residual burning from before???

I called them up and they tell me bring it again. The problem is the dealer is a hour and half away because I've been with this SA for years. I'm also worried they can't fix it. This will be the third time it's going back. I'm also paranoid they might damage something else because I gave them a hard time when they tried to charge me $1k.

Please anyone have any suggestions
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Just to add

About 1k miles ago I had the y pipe and AUX pump replaced at another mechanic.

This time I decided to spend all this money at the dealer thinking they will do the work with care and precision since they are certified. I actually have no faith in anything they did.

My second visit I have a feeling they charged me $205 for nothing. The reservoir doesn't even look new to me. Also I had called the parts and they didn't even have the part in stock? Then I argued about the bill and magically they finished the work in a hour?? I bet they charged me $205 for the low coolant sensor.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

At what point will you consider getting a second opinion? Is there a good Indy somewhere there?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
Just to add

About 1k miles ago I had the y pipe and AUX pump replaced at another mechanic.

This time I decided to spend all this money at the dealer thinking they will do the work with care and precision since they are certified. I actually have no faith in anything they did.

My second visit I have a feeling they charged me $205 for nothing. The reservoir doesn't even look new to me. Also I had called the parts and they didn't even have the part in stock? Then I argued about the bill and magically they finished the work in a hour?? I bet they charged me $205 for the low coolant sensor.
Always ask for the parts back when they are replacing stuff. This let's you see the condition and how much wear was on the items.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

I always do ask for parts back and try NEVER go to dealer for ANY of my vehicles. This time I my trust in them and my SA. I tipped him too, gave them so many parts out of pocket. Got treated like a fool.

BMW paid them at least $15k in parts and labor and I paid another $3500 in parts and labor. They charged me for stupid repairs that I had declined but still did (whole other story). I really have zero faith in anything they did.

I drove another 300 miles after topping the coolant off friday. What do you guys think ? I think the cap needs to be replaced which I will buy tomorrow.

Top pic is after driving for two days (notice the coolant residue I think that cap is leaking)

Bottom pic is after I topped coolant off (no residue when I topped it off)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
bmwrocky
Germany
Rep
Drives: F01 750xi 2010

Horrible BMW Service.
What about lawyer?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

No sense in putting any faith in BMW service. If you understand the business model of a dealership vs a good Indy repair shop you’d know better. I had to learn the hard way but thankfully my experience wasn’t nearly as expensive.
Appreciate 0