2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW 530d SE F10 shaky at cold start

02-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
suky
Rep
Drives: 535d F10 2013 Msport

BMW 530d SE F10 shaky at cold start

Hi I am new to this forum

I have a BMW 530d SE F10 2010 registration N57 engine with 90k miles on the clock

On cold start it would shake for a second if that

I connected the car and used iSTA D and the following codes were stored

24F700 Fuel-filter heating, activation: open circuit
28CE00 - LIN, message ; preheating control unit: Missing
279100 - Swirl flap, plausibility Swirl flap mechanically faulty during deviation learning

As i had bought the car recently i decided to service oil, filter , fuel filter, pollen filter,

Along with this and due to the shaky start i decided to change all the glow plugs and Beru control unit also. This was done by a local garage.

When i picked the car up i noticed the shake was still there and the next day in the morning it was worse.

When it is warm there is no issue only at cold start

I have ran diagnostics again as the car just seems rough now at cold start for the first five or so seconds and seems to be getting worse.

The following codes are now stored

279100 - Swirl flap, plausibility Swirl flap mechanically faulty during deviation learning
2A6A00 - Smooth-running regulator, cylinder 3 : Correction quantity outside permitted range

I have cleared all teh codes the swirl flap one has come straight back. I will check again in a few days..

lastly when i look at the glow plug harness the top of one of the caps seems to have broken off maybe when the garage removed them. I can see the wire going into the glow plug with no break.
This may be a red herring as no fault code for glow plugs is present.

Does anyone have any idea's please ?? Is it the injector ? Glow plug harness...Fuel filter heater .. I have run a test on this it heats up however i don't know if it is heating up to the required level and time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by suky; 02-03-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by suky View Post

Does anyone have any idea's please ?? Is it the injector ? Glow plug harness...Fuel filter heater .. I have run a test on this it heats up however i don't know if it is heating up to the required level and time.

The first thing I would look at is the glow plugs but you've already done that. It doesn't sound great that you can see the wires through a cracked top going to the glow plug but if there is no error being thrown hopefully that isn't an issue.

The Swirlflap error that came back straight away would be my next port of call and could be the cause due to a gunked up intake manifold. I cleaned mine out just as a maintenance task rather than there being a specific error or issue. See this post I made for the DIY -

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/134617...fold-cleaning/

Depending on the age of the car I'd suggest you buy the necessary replacement gaskets and get the intake manifold cleaned out. My swirlflaps moved a lot easier after the cleaning - My car had 56000 miles on the clock and had mainly been used for motorway driving.

What is your mileage?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrashton View Post
The first thing I would look at is the glow plugs but you've already done that. It doesn't sound great that you can see the wires through a cracked top going to the glow plug but if there is no error being thrown hopefully that isn't an issue.

The Swirlflap error that came back straight away would be my next port of call and could be the cause due to a gunked up intake manifold. I cleaned mine out just as a maintenance task rather than there being a specific error or issue. See this post I made for the DIY -

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/134617...fold-cleaning/

Depending on the age of the car I'd suggest you buy the necessary replacement gaskets and get the intake manifold cleaned out. My swirlflaps moved a lot easier after the cleaning - My car had 56000 miles on the clock and had mainly been used for motorway driving.

What is your mileage?
Think you are on the right track with investigating swirl flaps and manifold. I also wonder if an injector is responsible for the first few seconds of shake, clue may be in the cylinder 3 fault code reference.

BTW, car has covered 90k miles, (OP mentioned it in the post).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
BTW, car has covered 90k miles, (OP mentioned it in the post).
Amateur mistake - always re-read the OP's post before asking questions with the obvious answer! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
JonasKristiansen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 530D

Hi,

I had the exact same issue like you, with almost identical fault codes. Mine was cylinder 4 not 3, but almost the same. Started by replacing glow plugs + controller. Still had the issue.

Before checking the manifold, I would do this very simple test. This solved my problems :-)

Remove the engine cover, unplug the MAF sensor on the left side and replace engine cover. It will be quite obvious, as this will be almost the only thing to unplug. This will turn on your check engine light, but the car will use an alternative way of calculating the required air for the combustion, so don“t worry for this short test.

If your MAF sensor has any oil on it it will measure incorrect values and make the car idle rough when cold. It won“t throw a code with a little oil, but it will make it idle rough.

If this solved your issue you can buy MAF cleaner or you can buy a new one for approx. 200 dollars. It just installed with two T10 torx.

Hope this helps :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
From your error reports it also sounds like the diesel fuel heater has failed. I had a similar failure on my previous e90 330d. The heater plugs into the fuel filter. I bought one from a scrapyard for about £25.00 and that made for smoother starting. These things always show up in winter of course.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:21 PM   #7
suky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suky View Post

I have a BMW 530d SE F10 2010 registration N57 engine with 90k miles on the clock

On cold start it would shake for a second if that

I connected the car and used iSTA D and the following codes were stored

28CE00 - LIN, message ; preheating control unit: Missing

As i had bought the car recently i decided to service oil, filter , fuel filter, pollen filter,

Along with this and due to the shaky start i decided to change all the glow plugs and Beru control unit also. This was done by a local garage.

When i picked the car up i noticed the shake was still there and the next day in the morning it was worse.

When it is warm there is no issue only at cold start

I have ran diagnostics again as the car just seems rough now at cold start for the first five or so seconds and seems to be getting worse.

The following codes are now stored

2A6A00 - Smooth-running regulator, cylinder 3 : Correction quantity outside permitted range

I have cleared all teh codes the swirl flap one has come straight back. I will check again in a few days..

lastly when i look at the glow plug harness the top of one of the caps seems to have broken off maybe when the garage removed them. I can see the wire going into the glow plug with no break.
This may be a red herring as no fault code for glow plugs is present.

Is the end it got sorted by a carbon clean of the manifold and walnut blasting in the cylinders .. That cured the issue it cost me about £450. The manifold actuator the plastic clip was also broken and replaced...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 10:53 AM   #8
Tdario
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 525d N57

I have also problem with shaking when motor is cold, changed glow plug module, but didn't glow plugs.. is possible that is problem? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 01:54 AM   #9
ceka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d 11'

I just fixed mine..
engine mount was busted out.. felt like a rollercoaster without oil.
I installed a used one my friend had at the shop, will be ordering ywo new ones and hopefully will be brand new..

Mine as well is a 530d eudm
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 07:28 AM   #10
jk0910
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d F10

Had exactly the same issues, just come back from garage with the codes :

241F00 - Glowplug 1
242B00 - Glowplug 4
243300 - Glowplug 6
242300 - Glowplug 2
279100 - Swirl flap
28CE00 - LIN - preheating control unit : missing
253400 - Swirlflap actuator

Been quoted £1,500 all in to replace glow plugs, module, intake manifold repair. Good rep garage but not sure how competitive the quote is. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
suky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdario View Post
I have also problem with shaking when motor is cold, changed glow plug module, but didn't glow plugs.. is possible that is problem? Thanks
It could be glow plugs in my case the glow plugs and module were changed but it was still shaky for a few seconds at startup.
A carbon clean of the engine, along with the swirl flap clip attached to motor was also broken cured the problem.. And gave me a lot more power back too..
Appreciate 0