2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum black rims or not?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Okk117
New Member
5
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2016 bmw f10
Join Date: May 2018
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Should I go with black rims?
Either powdercoat or plasti dip

Really tempted to go with the black color
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
Ickdeep
Colonel
Ickdeep's Avatar
United_States
1588
Rep
2,141
Posts

Drives: '13 F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I'd say yeah! (a little bias as I did that to my car). If you are unsure about it, plasticdip them first being powder coating them.
__________________

Stage 2 Tune by BPM | AMS Alpha Catless Downpipes
SSP Performance Clutch Package | Dinan Adjustable Coilovers Springs

Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/purem5
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 12:50 AM   #3
Ajinomoto2999
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2015 bmw 535i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

I'd definitely black out the rims. Nice whip. Full 360 tint?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:45 AM   #4
Okk117
New Member
5
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2016 bmw f10
Join Date: May 2018
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

yea full 360 tint
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
3155
Rep
11,204
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

i'd go black myself.
__________________
~CinnamonLeatherInterior~21"3Piece AlphaForgedWheels~BMSgoldTitaniumLugz~ 3dCarbonRearSpoiler~3dCarbonFrontLip~3dCarbonSideS kirtExtensions~DTMCarbonDiffuser~CarbonWrapPUFront Splitter~CarbonRearSplitters~PUrearDiffuserTray~
~CarbonEmblems~LedermanzWheel~ShadowlineKit~Double SlatGrills~WstyleCarbonRoofSpoiler~CarbonMirrorCov ers~MeisterschaftEVC90mmQuadExhaust~CarbonTipCover s~KWV1Coilovers~MStylePedals~G2GoldCalipers~35%Tin T~
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 03:27 AM   #6
Tallest
Major General
Tallest's Avatar
No_Country
266
Rep
5,548
Posts

Drives: '14 F11 530d xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europa

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Or go with this color combo I attached OR even ferric gray powder coat.

Now, in my personal opinion you should keep these wheels for when you sell the car as they look absolutely fine as they are, and buy yourself a nice 20in set and go a bit more agressive. I would suggest the 20in from the M550D, the 434 style in dark gray. Remember, you got 19s, they will look even smaller in black color. So perhaps if you dont like that polished look go all silver or gray color like in pic I attached. Also dress up the calipers.

I think non msport car with black 19in plastidipped rims has a risk of looking on the cheap side of things, but that's just me. ICKDEEP above has a nice looking car thanks in part to the great color and Msport being accentuated by it, so rims look good there, even in 19s (and the M351s look bigger than 19 due to that design).
Attached Images
 
__________________
530 Touring / Xdrive
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep1587.50

      05-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
EL Jeffe 5
Captain
EL Jeffe 5's Avatar
United_States
404
Rep
929
Posts

Drives: CBR1000RR
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Or go with this color combo I attached OR even ferric gray powder coat.

Now, in my personal opinion you should keep these wheels for when you sell the car as they look absolutely fine as they are, and buy yourself a nice 20in set and go a bit more agressive. I would suggest the 20in from the M550D, the 434 style in dark gray. Remember, you got 19s, they will look even smaller in black color. So perhaps if you dont like that polished look go all silver or gray color like in pic I attached. Also dress up the calipers.

I think non msport car with black 19in plastidipped rims has a risk of looking on the cheap side of things, but that's just me. ICKDEEP above has a nice looking car thanks in part to the great color and Msport being accentuated by it, so rims look good there, even in 19s (and the M351s look bigger than 19 due to that design).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
__________________
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep1587.50

      05-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #8
Quicksilv3r
Captain
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
United_States
216
Rep
878
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Augusta, Georgia

iTrader: (1)

Absolutely not. Black wheels went out in 2005. Makes it look like you're ridin on 4 spares. Not in good taste
__________________
-WJV
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #9
BMW BRAD
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW BRAD's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
1,643
Posts

Drives: Modded BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chino Hills Ca.

iTrader: (13)

I completely agree with Quicksilv3r. Black wheels look washed out. Just my $.02
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #10
Jimax
New Member
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: F10 & E46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (0)

I just went from black wheels (and the black banner at the bottom) back to your exact car, white with silver wheels and removed the black banner along the rocker panel. It looked like a Canadian car on a winter setup. Not my thing. Also lightened up the tint and got rid of the ugly orange reflectors. Pic of "before" attached. Car has pollen all over it now, so no good "after" pic. But you know what a white F10 M Sport looks like.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
SC300T
Private
16
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 13 535i 6MT and 13 535i GT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cincinnati OH

iTrader: (0)

Agree with Quicksilver- black wheels are ugly. I have an Industrial Design background, and I'm thankful that this fad is fading. The reason black wheels are ugly is that it provides no contrast from the black rubber compound. No contrast means that it does not "visually" pop. Its like looking at the Mona Lisa at 2am with the lights out. Now, if tires were silver, then black wheels would make sense. I don't get when guys buy $5k worth of forged wheels to paint them black so that you can't see them. Don't you want that investment to stand out????
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Tallest
Major General
Tallest's Avatar
No_Country
266
Rep
5,548
Posts

Drives: '14 F11 530d xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europa

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300T View Post
Agree with Quicksilver- black wheels are ugly. I have an Industrial Design background, and I'm thankful that this fad is fading. The reason black wheels are ugly is that it provides no contrast from the black rubber compound. No contrast means that it does not "visually" pop. Its like looking at the Mona Lisa at 2am with the lights out. Now, if tires were silver, then black wheels would make sense. I don't get when guys buy $5k worth of forged wheels to paint them black so that you can't see them. Don't you want that investment to stand out????
There is more - if you kerb black wheels, youre gonna notice the scratch right away, so it is super impractical to boot. And the rubber over time kinda turns brownish-grayish, so then you got this contrast you're after but it isnt a flattering kind. And yes, Im having black rims on my car but the are betting replaced soon. So im speaking from experience.
__________________
530 Touring / Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #13
TLK
Private First Class
TLK's Avatar
34
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Black wheels are ugly, but since they came on my used M5, I will have to admit that they do wonders hiding the massive amount of brake dust that is generated. This is their saving grace.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #14
neejay
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Black wheels are ugly, but since they came on my used M5, I will have to admit that they do wonders hiding the massive amount of brake dust that is generated. This is their saving grace.
Admittedly, this is one of the reasons I was also contemplating getting my wheels powder coated satin black. That, and for more proof that the wheel/tire place scratch my wheels. I get tired of finding random marks after getting my tires replaced. (Although I know that sounds like a catch-22) I also contemplated gun metal, to give it a little contrast, as they look gunmetal when the brake dust accumulates and I actually like the color it appears lol.

The only thing holding me back is the fact that if I don't like them, I won't be able to go back to the factory finish, or I'd have to pay again to have them powder coated back to silver.

My car is Jet Black, with no chrome anywhere on my exterior, and the front and rear bumper reflectors blacked out/covered.
__________________
2011 535i M-Sport - BEF via JB4/MHD, BMS Intake, VRSF Chargepipe, Megan Supremo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
Ickdeep
Colonel
Ickdeep's Avatar
United_States
1588
Rep
2,141
Posts

Drives: '13 F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neejay View Post

The only thing holding me back is the fact that if I don't like them, I won't be able to go back to the factory finish, or I'd have to pay again to have them powder coated back to silver.
Go for it. I'd recommend plastic dipping them first and if you like them, then get them powder coating.
__________________

Stage 2 Tune by BPM | AMS Alpha Catless Downpipes
SSP Performance Clutch Package | Dinan Adjustable Coilovers Springs

Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/purem5
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #16
neejay
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Go for it. I'd recommend plastic dipping them first and if you like them, then get them powder coating.
Ah! Good idea...not sure why I hadn't thought about that yet, thanks. lol
__________________
2011 535i M-Sport - BEF via JB4/MHD, BMS Intake, VRSF Chargepipe, Megan Supremo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
BlackWidow
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: 550
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

I vote no too. Black wheels are ugly, no matter what they are.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #18
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
14
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2008 535i M-Tech
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (3)

Had black wheels for about 6 months and hated every minute.

Went with silver stock M5 wheels and love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #19
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Bklynjoker's Avatar
55
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: G30 540i MSport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okk117 View Post
Should I go with black rims?
Either powdercoat or plasti dip

Really tempted to go with the black color
IMO: if you wanna be a sheep go black and follow the crowd. You joint looks Smooth, get a eBay 80$ trunk Lip and spend money on performance upgrades. Every white bimmer out there has black wheels. Those wheels you have are nice, keep em clean. If u go back do Gloss not Matte bullsht
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #20
Okk117
New Member
5
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2016 bmw f10
Join Date: May 2018
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynjoker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okk117 View Post
Should I go with black rims?
Either powdercoat or plasti dip

Really tempted to go with the black color
IMO: if you wanna be a sheep go black and follow the crowd. You joint looks Smooth, get a eBay 80$ trunk Lip and spend money on performance upgrades. Every white bimmer out there has black wheels. Those wheels you have are nice, keep em clean. If u go back do Gloss not Matte bullsht
thanks for the input
I've been thinking of getting the spoiler from Ebay. I might just go that route
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #21
Big Mexican Women
Banned
77
Rep
343
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

hell yea! you've already tinted your windows, debadged the booty, have blacked out trim around the windows ETC. so you're certainly off to a good start. don't plastidip. if you powdercoat, do it in GLOSS, not a flat colour.

I would also suggest wrapping your roof black and tinting your tallights, and then posting pics of it when you're done.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #22
syed646
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 535i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles CA

iTrader: (0)

I think Black rims looks awesome specially if you have fully tinted windows.

Check my black rims.
PS: Feel free to provide feedback what should I do next.. black lights?
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST