2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Job/Salary Advice Needed

05-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #23
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Thank you for all the replies thus far. Instead of quoting everyone I will drop my general replies here.

The reason I haven't left is because I don't have a manager hounding me. I'm left to do what I need to do without a sales system and all the bs input you have to do with those. I worked from the beach on Thur and Fri but didn't have to take days off. This type of thing you can't put a price on. I don't have to work 40 hours a week because I've established a good book of business (some times I do & more depending on what's going on that week). This is one of the reasons I haven't left and not mentioned much about a raise. I've talked to a few recruiters recently but nothing worth jumping ship. I don't even know if I want to stay in this industry. I've also started to explore some other options to see what I would be qualified for.

When someone mentioned about bad management. It's not that he's bad to deal with he's bad on the follow through. He is the liaison for getting us the support we need and that doesn't occur. I can't do my job without the other side. I can sell something all day long but have to rely on "x" to be the pull through and make that happen. I will say there is an extreme disconnect between them and us. This company wasn't built for sales but they got an idea and ran with it. We as a team have made it successful but there are quite a few things that need to be addressed. It's things we can't do or change. We need their help but unfortunately we don't always get it.

I agree with the sell more. Im not sitting back expecting something for nothing. Every thing that has been asked of me I have answered plus more. I've recently expanded my territory and got 3 more areas starting to refer. There are some things that are out of my control. I can sell all I want but I can't force coverage or the person to pay and compliance is/can be an issue. Also, I'm in a very niche market but truly enjoy the results we see.

As far as an increase in the cost of goods being a raise, that hasn't affected me as my industry doesn't work like that. It hasn't been a raise in that sense.

Also, you can't increase margins where I am. They are set and we have no control over that.

In my previous companies we were always base plus commission and received a raise. I would also say so do a majority of the people in the same industry. I really just wanted to check the pulse of things and get some feedback.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15696.50
TSII1978.50
BMWGUYinCO4121.50
      05-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #24
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Thank you for all the replies thus far. Instead of quoting everyone I will drop my general replies here.

The reason I haven't left is because I don't have a manager hounding me. I'm left to do what I need to do without a sales system and all the bs input you have to do with those. I worked from the beach on Thur and Fri but didn't have to take days off. This type of thing you can't put a price on. I don't have to work 40 hours a week because I've established a good book of business (some times I do & more depending on what's going on that week). This is one of the reasons I haven't left and not mentioned much about a raise. I've talked to a few recruiters recently but nothing worth jumping ship. I don't even know if I want to stay in this industry. I've also started to explore some other options to see what I would be qualified for.

When someone mentioned about bad management. It's not that he's bad to deal with he's bad on the follow through. He is the liaison for getting us the support we need and that doesn't occur. I can't do my job without the other side. I can sell something all day long but have to rely on "x" to be the pull through and make that happen. I will say there is an extreme disconnect between them and us. This company wasn't built for sales but they got an idea and ran with it. We as a team have made it successful but there are quite a few things that need to be addressed. It's things we can't do or change. We need their help but unfortunately we don't always get it.

I agree with the sell more. Im not sitting back expecting something for nothing. Every thing that has been asked of me I have answered plus more. I've recently expanded my territory and got 3 more areas starting to refer. There are some things that are out of my control. I can sell all I want but I can't force coverage or the person to pay and compliance is/can be an issue. Also, I'm in a very niche market but truly enjoy the results we see.

As far as an increase in the cost of goods being a raise, that hasn't affected me as my industry doesn't work like that. It hasn't been a raise in that sense.

Also, you can't increase margins where I am. They are set and we have no control over that.

In my previous companies we were always base plus commission and received a raise. I would also say so do a majority of the people in the same industry. I really just wanted to check the pulse of things and get some feedback.

You have to price in the flexibility you have in your job, and the cost of giving that up, and having to start all over and prove yourself in a new role. How much more money is worth starting from zero again?

Getting more out of your current place is a tricky proposition. Perhaps you can make a case that you have expanded the business, and your value is not the same as a drop in replacement sales person with a similar close rate. Bring some data that shows that you are having a larger business impact than just hitting your quota.

Get some market data at what people in your industry and book size make, use this data to support your valuation. If you are really underpaid vs the market, get an offer and use it as leverage, (Again, you have to apply a flexibility premium as you will not be working from the beach when you start a new job).

Your leadership is going to look at it as the cost of revenue is going up so you need to provide data that demonstrates the differentiated value vs them saying goodby and dropping in a new sales person with the same targets.
      05-10-2022, 02:20 PM   #25
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post

You have to price in the flexibility you have in your job, and the cost of giving that up, and having to start all over and prove yourself in a new role. How much more money is worth starting from zero again?

Getting more out of your current place is a tricky proposition. Perhaps you can make a case that you have expanded the business, and your value is not the same as a drop in replacement sales person with a similar close rate. Bring some data that shows that you are having a larger business impact than just hitting your quota.

Get some market data at what people in your industry and book size make, use this data to support your valuation. If you are really underpaid vs the market, get an offer and use it as leverage, (Again, you have to apply a flexibility premium as you will not be working from the beach when you start a new job).

Your leadership is going to look at it as the cost of revenue is going up so you need to provide data that demonstrates the differentiated value vs them saying goodby and dropping in a new sales person with the same targets.
What I bolded is exactly why I haven't asked or switched jobs. I know you can't put a price tag on the flexibility. It's the part that has made me take pause over the past few years. I've built all this from the ground up as there was no one here prior to me and they didn't even have a market.

This meeting just came up today so I've made a few phone calls to other people in the industry to see where they are to get a better idea before the 5:30 meeting.

All very good points so thank you!
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4486.50
      05-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #26
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

In today's job market, you'll be able to get a job anywhere. companies know this and if its a good company, they will make sure you are happy enough to stay.

what I have done with almost every company i've worked for, is i have 2 salaries in my mind of what I am worth/want to be paid. the 1st is the salary i want at my current job based on how i feel about the company, the people i work with, my work load, etc. The 2nd salary i have is a number that would make me go "fuck this im out." These numbers are typically on the current market salary ranges. Dont be unrealistic like "i would have to make double the market" to stay or go.

my current place, the 1st # is significantly lower than the 2nd #. Im more than happy where im at and it would take a lot to get me to move. The last place i worked at, the 1st # was significantly higher than the 2nd #. I got out as soon as I could.

Once you have those numbers, talk with the boss and tell him where you are at. if you have some market numbers from either google or friends/coworkers/recruiters, you have a much better position to negotiate. if what you say about it is correct, that you are their top performer, they will listen to you and probably make an offer. If they dont, its probably not a great place.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4486.50
rebekahb3131.50
      05-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #27
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Man the numbers you guys are throwing about are high, i'm at 4% of revenue but have to meet profitability targets. Suspect my base is on the high end though.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #28
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
In today's job market, you'll be able to get a job anywhere. companies know this and if its a good company, they will make sure you are happy enough to stay.

what I have done with almost every company i've worked for, is i have 2 salaries in my mind of what I am worth/want to be paid. the 1st is the salary i want at my current job based on how i feel about the company, the people i work with, my work load, etc. The 2nd salary i have is a number that would make me go "fuck this im out." These numbers are typically on the current market salary ranges. Dont be unrealistic like "i would have to make double the market" to stay or go.

my current place, the 1st # is significantly lower than the 2nd #. Im more than happy where im at and it would take a lot to get me to move. The last place i worked at, the 1st # was significantly higher than the 2nd #. I got out as soon as I could.

Once you have those numbers, talk with the boss and tell him where you are at. if you have some market numbers from either google or friends/coworkers/recruiters, you have a much better position to negotiate. if what you say about it is correct, that you are their top performer, they will listen to you and probably make an offer. If they dont, its probably not a great place.
Thats exactly what I'm saying. Hence why I make sure my crew is well taken care of b/c I know they can leave here at lunch and have a new job and be ready to roll by the morning.....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:16 PM   #29
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post

I'm definitely not being unrealistic and not going for gold. Just asking for a competitive option. My current salary is that of someone in the 5-7 year experience range.

If I hadn't spoken to recruiters lately I wouldn't have much of an idea. It's kind of weird how this has all fallen.

I don't like to be at the bottom so I strive to stay at the top. I've not been one to talk about it but only mentioned it because I wanted realistic advice of where I am and what I should be considering.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4486.50
      05-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #30
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Man the numbers you guys are throwing about are high, i'm at 4% of revenue but have to meet profitability targets. Suspect my base is on the high end though.
Does 4% include your salary?

That's why I was wondering. I'm at 7.2% with a below average salary from what I'm seeing/hearing. I didn't know if 7.2% was a norm or low.

It's such a strange thing to talk about and it's not comfortable for me. I don't know why but never really enjoyed talking about money which is probably why I'm where I am
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #31
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:

That's why I was wondering. I'm at 7.2% with a below average salary from what I'm seeing/hearing. I didn't know if 7.2% was a norm or low.

It's such a strange thing to talk about and it's not comfortable for me. I don't know why but never really enjoyed talking about money which is probably why I'm where I am
Rebekah,
Rather than increasing your base salary or adjusting gross margin in your current position, have you thought of a promotion?

Also, you are wise to also place value in no managerial oversight, setting your own working hours, etc. The whole reason there is "The Great Resignation" occurring in corporate America is because it's generally horrible working in corporate America. You could probably find a job paying higher, with higher commission potential, but then the misery that accompanies it wouldn't be worth it.

But if you like the company and owner, perhaps there are other opportunities to increase income. Good luck!
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3131.50
      05-10-2022, 03:40 PM   #32
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Why is there even a discussion about recruiters; 7.2% or 7.8%, 1.3%....... Why would you even think about obtaining other offers and then taking those offers back to your same company and beating your head against the wall again continually? If you are as good as you say you are get out from under the corporate structure and start your own business. Keep the overhead, work for you, not for the next bonus for everyone up the company ladder from you. Unless you value the perceived comfort of structure and annual review meetings where you plead for your next comp package I would think that you would be better off in numerous ways writing your own destiny.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #33
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:

Nah, it's because you are a woman. Stereotypically, they don't like talking about it / requesting raises. There is always a break from the norm, but far more often, they'd prefer to quietly hope for a raise than to get out there and ask for it.

I don't mean this in a negative way, it is just that Males / Females bring different strengths to the table, and typically where one gender is weak, the other is strong. But stereotypically, at least from what I've seen, women are far more quieter about money than guys.

Last edited by Watching The World Burn; 05-10-2022 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #34
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Why is there even a discussion about recruiters; 7.2% or 7.8%, 1.3%....... Why would you even think about obtaining other offers and then taking those offers back to your same company and beating your head against the wall again continually? If you are as good as you say you are get out from under the corporate structure and start your own business. Keep the overhead, work for you, not for the next bonus for everyone up the company ladder from you. Unless you value the perceived comfort of structure and annual review meetings where you plead for your next comp package I would think that you would be better off in numerous ways writing your own destiny.
Wow...without knowing anything about what she does or sells, you made that seem really simple. Congrats.

It really isn't though. I've worked in the corporate world and now I work for myself. It is nowhere near as simple as this and there are a crap ton of hats you have to wear, especially the moment you get employees.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3131.50
      05-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #35
Joe T
Rep
Drives: F16 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Rebekah,
Rather than increasing your base salary or adjusting gross margin in your current position, have you thought of a promotion?

...snip...

If the quest is for money, please don't do this. In most companies, sales is where the money and freedom is.

I made 2x my salary as a sales rep. I got into management for a better quality of life and to help the company grow.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 04:08 PM   #36
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Wow...without knowing anything about what she does or sells, you made that seem really simple. Congrats.

It really isn't though. I've worked in the corporate world and now I work for myself. It is nowhere near as simple as this and there are a crap ton of hats you have to wear, especially the moment you get employees.
nah brah, really easy to start your own company and work for yourself in any industry. everyone knows this.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3131.50
      05-10-2022, 04:18 PM   #37
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post

Well, because I can't just do that in my line of work. If I sold heavy equipment for a large company and was in this position I could most certainly go open my own yard.

My husband owns his own business and that's not without its own hassle. It's just not where I am right now that I want to do that. I mentioned earlier that maybe it's time for another avenue but that's not a hasty decision to make. I've never asked before so what does it hurt to explore the option before throwing it away. If it doesn't work out then there's a decision to be made.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #38
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Well, because I can't just do that in my line of work. If I sold heavy equipment for a large company and was in this position I could most certainly go open my own yard.

My husband owns his own business and that's not without its own hassle. It's just not where I am right now that I want to do that. I mentioned earlier that maybe it's time for another avenue but that's not a hasty decision to make. I've never asked before so what does it hurt to explore the option before throwing it away. If it doesn't work out then there's a decision to be made.
Let us know how the meeting with the boss goes. And good luck! You are doing the right thing by educating yourself and asking questions. Information is power, gather as much of it as you can.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3131.50
      05-10-2022, 04:22 PM   #39
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post

Nah, it's because you are a woman. Stereotypically, they don't like talking about it / requesting raises. There is always a break from the norm, but far more often, they'd prefer to quietly hope for a raise than to get out there and ask for it.

I don't mean this in a negative way, it is just that Males / Females bring different strengths to the table, and typically where one gender is weak, the other is strong. But stereotypically, at least from what I've seen, women are far more quieter about money than guys.
It's not negative. It's the truth. I've just been comfortable and appreciate the flexibility I have. We can't all be the best at everything so it's good to lean on those who are stronger in areas than we are.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:12 PM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
It's not negative. It's the truth. I've just been comfortable and appreciate the flexibility I have. We can't all be the best at everything so it's good to lean on those who are stronger in areas than we are.
Your husband is a lucky man
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3131.50
      05-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #41
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
This is a trap, actually: you can result having all the flexibility and no money. I mean, the whole combination of valuable aspects should be considered. Realistically. It's not you can never do better than you have done, you always will do better, but it takes a proper opportunity as well.

Quote:
A leadership would hardly notice the revenue going up leaving the cost behind, actually outdated. It's important to keep them aware you are not a workhorse who needs to earn the food only and the rest is theirs. It's not only money, it's the attitude as well. Why would they consider, as it has been mentioned, a higher paid replacement who might hit the same targets not? Reasoning looks a matter of one's own. They'll hardly need yours: they'd better find their own. Use your reasons for your action and let them find their reasons for theirs. Just don't accept a denial: it will be confirming/accepting no respect at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:37 PM   #42
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Quote:
This is a trap, actually: you can result having all the flexibility and no money. I mean, the whole combination of valuable aspects should be considered. Realistically. It's not you can never do better than you have done, you always will do better, but it takes a proper opportunity as well.

Quote:
A leadership would hardly notice the revenue going up leaving the cost behind, actually outdated. It's important to keep them aware you are not a workhorse who needs to earn the food only and the rest is theirs. It's not only money, it's the attitude as well. Why would they consider, as it has been mentioned, a higher paid replacement who might hit the same targets not? Reasoning looks a matter of one's own. They'll hardly need yours: they'd better find their own. Use your reasons for your action and let them find their reasons for theirs. Just don't accept a denial: it will be confirming/accepting no respect at all.
Sorry dude, not following you.

Cost of sales is on every 10-k on earth and every business that sells something tracks thr cost of revenue, so I disagree
      05-10-2022, 05:57 PM   #43
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Sorry dude, not following you.

Cost of sales is on every 10-k on earth and every business that sells something tracks thr cost of revenue, so I disagree
Well, what I mean is the revenue should be increasing (as prices are, at least) and then "literal"/absolute salary increase is needed to only keep the relative revenue cost the same. If the salary is the same while revenue goes up the revenue cost goes down relatively. Even if increasing revenue stays relatively the same as expenses increase as well then a corresponding relative increase in salary is still reasonable. So it's no good if a salary doesn't increase at all while prices do (don't they?).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #44
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

Well....no. There's salary, one's base, then one's cut of the work. So I have a base and get 4% on top of that for every revenue dollar.
Appreciate 0