2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum don't get the f10 528i

08-31-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

don't get the f10 528i

I've had a 2016 528i for 2 years now, it's great in terms of luxury, It's fully loaded to the max and I retrofit the M sport wheel and rear bumper. But man I wish it was possible to make it faster by doing an engine swap of a N55 or the N63! I tried a racechip GTS Black and it's an absolute piece of garbage. all it does is hold your rpms a little past 7000 to get extra power.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Yeah, well you certainly dont buy the N20 for power, and so dont expect it to give you a whole lot. A nice, easy ride, yes. A race car, no.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      09-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

A jb4 does wonders. I'm fine with the speed and came from a 535
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

I think racechip for bmw is kinda sketchy to begin with
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
But man I wish it was possible to make it faster by doing an engine swap of a N55 or the N63!
Well... it actually is possible.

By trading it in and spending more money to get F10 or G30 with more powerful engine.

Sorry I just couldn't resist, but, c'mon now, you had to know what you're buying before you committed to it, right ?

And it's not like N55 is some sort of "crazy racing machine" either. Both have more than enough power for "spirited" everyday driving, passing and hauling families in comfort - just my opinion.

If you're into "track style" driving all the time, then 5 series is the wrong car to own to start with (again, just my personal take).
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Quote:
But man I wish it was possible to make it faster by doing an engine swap of a N55 or the N63!
Well... it actually is possible.

By trading it in and spending more money to get F10 or G30 with more powerful engine.

Sorry I just couldn't resist, but, c'mon now, you had to know what you're buying before you committed to it, right ?

And it's not like N55 is some sort of "crazy racing machine" either. Both have more than enough power for "spirited" everyday driving, passing and hauling families in comfort - just my opinion.

If you're into "track style" driving all the time, then 5 series is the wrong car to own to start with (again, just my personal take).
Well when I bought this car I had no idea about anything bmw related. Just bought the car because of the comfort and luxury of it
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Quote:
Well when I bought this car I had no idea about anything bmw related. Just bought the car because of the comfort and luxury of it
That's why you research, before buying.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by subkg View Post
That's why you research, before buying.
Research does jack shit compared to experience. Plenty of people come into the scene not caring about power and just want the comfort or the brand, and only later realize that they actually do care about power.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough.

These cars are fast (yes, even 528) for normal day to day (even "spirited") driving.

They just don't "feel" fast in a way that something significantly smaller, lighter, less soundproof and not as planted would feel. They weren't meant to excite "boy racers" (I do not - repeat do not imply that you are one of them) just trying to explain how I feel about F10 "target customer".

By the time you get really excited going fast or cornering in F10, you're breaking oh-so-many laws. The rest of the time, you travel in comfort, silence, and yes, with fairly decent acceleration and handling. Really the only "monster" in the lineup is 550, but then there's a bit of penalty weight and reliability wise as well.

Also, I'm yet to read any car forum, regardless of the brand and model where there isn't at least one "this vehicle is under-powered" thread - I never fully bought into that way of thinking, but, we're all different.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Quote:
Fair enough.

These cars are fast (yes, even 528) for normal day to day (even "spirited") driving.

They just don't "feel" fast in a way that something significantly smaller, lighter, less soundproof and not as planted would feel. They weren't meant to excite "boy racers" (I do not - repeat do not imply that you are one of them) just trying to explain how I feel about F10 "target customer".

By the time you get really excited going fast or cornering in F10, you're breaking oh-so-many laws. The rest of the time, you travel in comfort, silence, and yes, with fairly decent acceleration and handling. Really the only "monster" in the lineup is 550, but then there's a bit of penalty weight and reliability wise as well.

Also, I'm yet to read any car forum, regardless of the brand and model where there isn't at least one "this vehicle is under-powered" thread - I never fully bought into that way of thinking, but, we're all different.
I agree, one thing I like is when the car is in sport mode it's good at quick acceleration from 40-80 mph. The f10 is also very nice and quiet when your cruising at a speed like 80-100 mph which is amazing
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
thegazelle85
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i, 2011 535i

I appreciate the poster genuinely sharing that he just liked the comfort and luxury of the car. I would say many people car buying this way - they just want a certain car for whatever reason. Any one of us can go out in public, see various cars in a parking lot, and scratch our heads wondering why that person picked THAT car in THAT colour. Some of it is just personal preference. My uncle has only bought Fords all his life and despite his kids now adults telling him there are better cars out there, he for some reason is loyal to Ford. That is fine. Similarly, my father has only ever bought GMs, and just in the last 10 years has switched to a Nissan and an Acura.

In my case, when I bought my 3 series years ago, people warned me all over the place about BMWs being problematic and repair-prone and expensive to maintain, etc. I have only driven a Nissan Sentra and a Volvo XC90 at that point but when I jumped into the 3 series and went down the highway, I was truly striken but what an amazing drive it was. And if you know anything about the 2011 3 series, it was a bunch of wacky designs in the car with in dash cupholders (???) and an automatic window switch that sloped AWAY from the driver. But the drive was exhilarating and the handling of the BMW unlike any other car I have driven. I have no cable, don't watch TV and as a result don't pay attention to ads (I even have a browser which makes sure I block youtube ads, etc.). So I am not a sucker for marketing. If I had done my research, it could very well be argued that the naysayers may have been correct. But as with everything else, it is personal preference.

In the case of this 5-series that I own now, it is high kilometers (248,000), and just had a timing chain completely replaced with water pump, valve cover, boost selenoid, and I just replaced the 10-year-old original battery. The car does not run perfect, and I swear is underpowered somehow on acceleration (my 328 seems to accelerate faster, and definitely smoother), but in this case, it is such a comfortable drive (if I drive like a family man) and I love where everything is in the car - the android head unit I put in there helps greatly...lol. Are there tradeoffs I made in purchasing this vehicle? Absolutely. But as with most things car related, it's a matter of what can you live with and what you can't.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree, one thing I like is when the car is in sport mode it's good at quick acceleration from 40-80 mph. The f10 is also very nice and quiet when your cruising at a speed like 80-100 mph which is amazing
At the time I was shopping for one, the only really upsetting things were no pass-through in the back seats and leatherette seats in 528 they had on the lot.

To my limited knowledge (from memory) the main difference was that 80mph+ and above. With 535 you feel that there's just no letting go in smooth power delivery no matter how much higher you want to go, where, at some point, you can feel smaller engine isn't quite as happy or power delivery as smooth, but, in real life every day driving - irrelevant (at least in North America unless you hate your insurance rates ).
Appreciate 0