2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i or 535i or 528i or 535d

01-09-2020, 05:08 AM   #23
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

BMW makes inline sixes.

My Bavarian mechanic doesn't believe they know how to make a reliable V8. Their inline 4's (at least in the earlier f10's) seem to also have mechanical problems on occasion.

BMW is renowned for its diesel engines. Find a good 535d or maybe a rare 540d and don't look back! The torque is intoxicating....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:25 AM   #24
Alsatian
Rep
Drives: BMW E46

I was going to start a separate thread for this, as I don't want to thread-jack, but I've noticed a bunch of you are singing the praises of the 535d so I was hoping you could continue to elaborate. I'm strongly considering a 2014 535d, primarily because of its reputation for reliability. Before you tell me to get a Honda (there's already a Honda CR-V and CB750 motorcycle in the family), I've owned a variety of BMWs, love them, and want to keep the tradition alive. In any event, I've never owned a diesel vehicle. I love the torque numbers but whenever I think of diesel I think about diesels of the 80s and 90s, cars that sounded like tractors, made me want to puke from the fumes, and moved like a salted slug. I know times have changed, but would love to hear you guys weigh in a little more on what it's like to own a modern one. Should I be concerned about anything besides finding a diesel pump? And how tough is this, really?

Last edited by Alsatian; 08-22-2020 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #25
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Finding good diesel is a little easier with the GasBuddy app but in most parts of the country outside the North East I find it easy. Many believe "diesel is diesel" but many also feel brand-name, busy stations have the best fuel. Branded diesel may be better monitored for quality to protect the brand. Shell has been the preferred vendor for BMW recently with its motor oils and seems to have fuel engineers that care.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #26
Alsatian
Rep

@Pierre Louis thanks for the info! The guy who had the diesel vanished into the ether, so for now at least it's academic. Good to know, though. This was my primary concern.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:02 PM   #27
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
I was going to start a separate thread for this, as I don't want to thread-jack, but I've noticed a bunch of you are singing the praises of the 535d so I was hoping you could continue to elaborate. I'm strongly considering a 2014 535d, primarily because of its reputation for reliability. Before you tell me to get a Honda (there's already a Honda CR-V and CB750 motorcycle in the family), I've owned a variety of BMWs, love them, and want to keep the tradition alive. In any event, I've never owned a diesel vehicle. I love the torque numbers but whenever I think of diesel I think about diesels of the 80s and 90s, cars that sounded like tractors, made me want to puke from the fumes, and moved like a salted slug. I know times have changed, but would love to hear you guys weigh in a little more on what it's like to own a modern one. Should I be concerned about anything besides finding a diesel pump? And how tough is this, really?
Diesel is everywhere really. It's very common and just do some research.

My gas bmws have always started leaking oil around 100k. My diesel doesn't use a single drop of oil in 10k miles. The drive is incredible and sounds like a normal machine. The cruising power is the best and the car rarely shifts out of 8th gear on road trips. I doubt I'll ever let mine go.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #28
Alsatian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
Diesel is everywhere really. It's very common and just do some research.

My gas bmws have always started leaking oil around 100k. My diesel doesn't use a single drop of oil in 10k miles. The drive is incredible and sounds like a normal machine. The cruising power is the best and the car rarely shifts out of 8th gear on road trips. I doubt I'll ever let mine go.
You know, that seems to be the consensus. People love them. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them. They just weren't on my radar. It's my understanding that sales fell short of projections in the US and I never really see them (though, honestly, I haven't been paying close attention). Additionally, I come from an era of diesel cars that smelled horrible and made me nauseous. I still feel queazy when I think of old rides in a Mercedes diesel up the New Jersey turnpike as a kid. I know they're not like that anymore. In any event, the cat who had the diesel ghosted me. He probably came to your conclusion.
Appreciate 0