2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Contemplating M Performance front lip with M Sport front bumper

05-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
ECR33
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D F10

Contemplating M Performance front lip with M Sport front bumper

Hi,

Does anyone have some pictures or got any experience with M performance front lip?

I want to fit an aftermarket M sport front bumper to my pre-LCI F10.
I've found a great deal consisting of both the front bumper and an M performance lip. Now I don't know whether to go for the deal or just stick with the M sport bumper.. The idea is to have the bumper painted in the cars color and most likely paint/wrap the lip gloss black.

I have been able to find some pictures of both fitted online, but mostly close ups and/or on white F10's. Mine is Sophisto Grey, so would love to see a couple pictures on a darker or (even better) gray F10's.

Thoughts and ideas are very welcome. Due to cost I will not go OEM.

Bumper and lip looks like this:
Name:  51oNdystu-L._AC_.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  32.8 KB

Last edited by ECR33; 05-12-2020 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Added picture
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Here's the bumper on my jet black F10. No longer on anymore as I switched to to the HM style splitter.

My personal opinion, but I didn't like how thin it was and how far it stuck out. Given the curvature of our front bumper, from a straight on side view it just looked kinda out of place. I like how the HM splitter looks more, it sticks closer to the body while still visually lowering the car.

Shitty MS paint illustrating the issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
SBray
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I really love that lip. Compliments the lines of the car very well I believe. I also have rocker extensions on the car so the flat bottom lip flows with the side and tail.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
ECR33
Denmark
Rep

Thanks for the replies and pictures!

I've bought the bumper and splitter as well as a new pair of glossy black kidneys.

SBray what's the color code of your car? Looks awfully alot like mine. The blacked out look on yours is exactly what I'm after. I'm actually going to wrap the lip, window trim (it being chrome atm) and side markers. We'll see how the lip turns out. Can always get it painted if I don't like the way the wrap looks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
SBray
Registered
Rep

Glacier silver metallic A83 code.

The car came with shadow line trim on the windows already. I wrapped the side markers and the chrome strips in the door handles in shadow line vinyl. The lip and skirt extensions are wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl they look very nice. Bought good quality vinyl and used a heat gun to stretch it. Didn’t want to buy actual CF due to rubbing the lip from time to time. True carbon lower aero parts are only good for show and race cars.
It’s not in the picture but I’ve added carbon mirror caps also. They really finished the look I think.

Last body mod before turning to power is going to be either m5 or Megan quad tip mufflers and a m5 rear diffuser. Don’t want it to loud just a little rumble.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

One word of warning with the ebay splitters: they tend to sag. Over time and in the summer sun, it softens up JUST enough to start sagging. That's one of the primary reasons I went with a different style splitter. The OEM ones are noticeably thicker than the ebay ones, and is made of actual carbon fiber.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR33 View Post
I want to fit an aftermarket M sport front bumper to my pre-LCI F10.
Or you can get M5 F90 retrofit front bumper for F10 that lsturbointeg has, I think it looks much better than standard F10 M-sport bumper. If I were you and I was about to spend money on a new front number, I would get this one:

https://www.drivenbystyle.com/2011-2...p-69361.html?#
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #8
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzz View Post
Or you can get M5 F90 retrofit front bumper for F10 that lsturbointeg has, I think it looks much better than standard F10 M-sport bumper. If I were you and I was about to spend money on a new front number, I would get this one:

It's a great option, I would have done that bumper if I didn't have active cruise.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzz View Post

love this bumper and that owner is hot hot hot
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
love this bumper and that owner is hot hot hot
So.... it's really your wife's car!!
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
So.... it's really your wife's car!!
LMAO!! yup! and the 718 will be mine!!!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #12
ECR33
Denmark
Rep

Update: Saw some new replies and remembered that I never posted any updates!

I ended up buying the M sport bumper and M performance lip.
My initial thought was to have the bumper painted at a paint shop and wrap the lip, side indicators and window trim myself. I haven't tried wrapping before, but watched a lot of videos and felt somewhat ready to try it out.
I bought some black glossy M performance grills to go with the no chrome look.

I wrapped the window trim while waiting for the bumper to get painted. Went well without any headaches, just took some time.

I accidentally broke my side indicator when trying to get them off. Ended up buying 2 new ones already painted.

After trying to wrap the lip for several hours over the span of 3 days I came to the conclusion that it would never turn out great. The curvature on each side of the front lip ended up being too much of a challenge for me. It is not beginner friendly in any way At the moment it's sitting in the house, half wrapped, while I wonder whether I want to pay the paint shop to paint it gloss black for me, or just keep the M sport bumper without the lip.

I tried mocking up the half done lip and really like it, so might end up getting it painted. Unspec is correct when he says it sticks pretty far out. Tried to capture it in one of the photos, but it is easier to spot in person.

Anyways I'm loving the result of the black window trim, black side indicators and M sport bumper. Will probably end up painting and adding the lip sometime in the future. Next thing is most likely lowering the car on a couple of ST XA coilovers. KW V2s although very nice are a bit too expensive for my taste.

The F90 bumper looks bad ass btw!

Anyways, here's a couple pictures I quickly shot while doing the aforementioned things..

Mandatory "before picture"
Name:  før kofanger.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  526.8 KB

Here's the bumper waiting to be picked up by the paint shop
Name:  kofanger.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  171.5 KB

Old front bumper off
Name:  uden kofanger.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  320.2 KB

New bumper, kidneys, side indicator and black window trim installed
Name:  u spoiler.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  493.8 KB
Name:  u spoiler (2).jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  530.2 KB

Quickly mocking up the lip. It's not perfectly mounted, just wanted to get an idea of how it would look with the lip on.
Name:  prøvemont spoiler.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  454.4 KB
Name:  prøvemont spoiler2.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  516.2 KB
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

My initial thought was to have the bumper painted at a paint shop and wrap the lip, side indicators and window trim myself. I haven't tried wrapping before, but watched a lot of videos and felt somewhat ready to try it out.

I wrapped the window trim while waiting for the bumper to get painted. Went well without any headaches, just took some time.

I accidentally broke my side indicator when trying to get them off. Ended up buying 2 new ones already painted.

After trying to wrap the lip for several hours over the span of 3 days I came to the conclusion that it would never turn out great. The curvature on each side of the front lip ended up being too much of a challenge for me. It is not beginner friendly in any way At the moment it's sitting in the house, half wrapped, while I wonder whether I want to pay the paint shop to paint it gloss black for me, or just keep the M sport bumper without the lip.

I tried mocking up the half done lip and really like it, so might end up getting it painted. Unspec is correct when he says it sticks pretty far out. Tried to capture it in one of the photos, but it is easier to spot in person.

Anyways I'm loving the result of the black window trim, black side indicators and M sport bumper. Will probably end up painting and adding the lip sometime in the future. Next thing is most likely lowering the car on a couple of ST XA coilovers. KW V2s although very nice are a bit too expensive for my taste.

Anyways, here's a couple pictures I quickly shot while doing the aforementioned things..

Attachment 2356762

Attachment 2356760

Old front bumper off
Attachment 2356768

Attachment 2356767
Attachment 2356766

Quickly mocking up the lip. It's not perfectly mounted, just wanted to get an idea of how it would look with the lip on.
Attachment 2356763
Attachment 2356764
Don't bother wrapping. The second you scrape it against the ground (you will), that wrap is toast. Paint it yourself with some rattle cans, it's a good thing to learn with. I'm a huge fan of matte black atm. Also, what the heck is that lift?! Is it seriously only lifting at 2 points on the car? I'd be shitting myself hoping my car doesn't fall off it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #14
ECR33
Denmark
Rep

Hadn't thought about that.
Yeah I thought about painting it myself, but afraid of how it'll turn out. Might give it a shot. A couple of rattle cans doesn't cost much.

It's lifting at 4 points, the picture is just taken at a weird angle where you really can't see the rear points. We use lifts like these:
Name:  Unavngivet.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  9.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I thought about painting it myself, but afraid of how it'll turn out. Might give it a shot. A couple of rattle cans doesn't cost much.

It's lifting at 4 points, the picture is just taken at a weird angle where you really can't see the rear points. We use lifts like these:
Attachment 2356898
Ah, with the camera angle it scared the crap outta me.

I mean worst comes to worse, you sand off the paint and just give it to a body shop to do right? Prep is everything. Degreaser, tack rags, low dust environment, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #16
Jcole9656
Enlisted Member
Rep

16 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:

Attachment 2356898
Ah, with the camera angle it scared the crap outta me.

I mean worst comes to worse, you sand off the paint and just give it to a body shop to do right? Prep is everything. Degreaser, tack rags, low dust environment, etc.
My baby.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #17
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Attachment 2356762

Attachment 2356760

Old front bumper off
Attachment 2356768

Attachment 2356767
Attachment 2356766

Attachment 2356763
Attachment 2356764
The car turned out great, gray body and black wheels is one of.my favorite color combos.

Yes, you will probably scrape your lip at some point so wrap will not be very useful in that case.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #18
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Car looks great even with just the M Perf bumper :-) I have an AK style front lip that I'm dying to finish painting and mount on the car, but the weather isn't cooperating.

I love the wheels. Are those BMW OEM wheels? What style and size?

Quote:

2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #19
ECR33
Denmark
Rep

Thanks for the kind words.
Sadly the rims aren't OEM in the slightest. Got a great deal on them though. IIRC they're from a brand called Rial and are 20x9". But I don't think they make them anymore. Dont' even think they're a replica of a certain style, but might be wrong. They look a lot like the old E46 M3 CSL style rims (called style 163) and E92 M3 (called style 359).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #20
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
They fit the F10 very nicely and do indeed remind me of the E46 (probably why I thought BMW wheels).

Seeing a beautiful set of 20 inch wheels reignites my interest in upgrading my 351s. Not the ugliest of wheels, but anywhere you look around my area, you see them on F10s.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.
Sadly the rims aren't OEM in the slightest. Got a great deal on them though. IIRC they're from a brand called Rial and are 20x9". But I don't think they make them anymore. Dont' even think they're a replica of a certain style, but might be wrong. They look a lot like the old E46 M3 CSL style rims (called style 163) and E92 M3 (called style 359).
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #21
ECR33
Denmark
Rep

351s are great looking wheels, but they don't stand out much. In lack of better words: they just really look like they belong on the F10, lol.

Thought about buying a set of 19 or 20" style 813M or 666M reps. They look bad ass IMO, but may be too much for some people. I'm glad I went with 20" btw. I was afraid I would loose a lot of comfort, but with non RFT tires the car still feels nice going over bumps or somewhat bad roads.
If you're after OEM style 312 are pretty sweet as well. There's so many possibilities - Just depends on your liking and budget. I'm cheap so I went with reps
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #22
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Well, fast forward a couple of weeks since I saw this thread and reignited my interest in 20" wheels, here is my car with the new wheels. Wasn't looking to spend the money after just having bought KW V3s, but I love em and they def. transform the look of the car.

Quote:
351s are great looking wheels, but they don't stand out much. In lack of better words: they just really look like they belong on the F10, lol.

Thought about buying a set of 19 or 20" style 813M or 666M reps. They look bad ass IMO, but may be too much for some people. I'm glad I went with 20" btw. I was afraid I would loose a lot of comfort, but with non RFT tires the car still feels nice going over bumps or somewhat bad roads.
If you're after OEM style 312 are pretty sweet as well. There's so many possibilities - Just depends on your liking and budget. I'm cheap so I went with reps
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)

Last edited by spielnicht; 08-23-2020 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 2