2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications EVAP monitor not ready

09-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #1
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

EVAP monitor not ready

Hello all!
This past weekend I traded in my E92 LCI for a N55 F10 pre-LCI. I didn't have my OBD scanner when I went to buy the car (I know, major fault on my part), but the car drove well on the test drive and everything checked out upon visual inspection, plus this car was sitting at a reputable Audi dealership in my city.
When I got home, I plugged in my scanner and scanned the car. No codes and a few monitors were not ready. I wasn't too worried since it was from a reputable dealership so I didn't suspect any foul play with the monitors having been cleared before purchase by the dealer.
I drove the car and did the BMW drive cycle and all the monitors were ready except one: EVAP.
Still no codes, and the car is 100% stock with no tune.
I have driven the car for 300+ miles now and have done the BMW drive cycle every night since 9/4/20 when I bought the car. I've kept the gas tank between 1/4-3/4 full and I still cannot get the EVAP monitor to be ready.
Luckily I don't need to get an emissions/smog text done, and in my state you can get it tested with 1 incomplete monitor so I'm not worried, but for my own sanity and peace of mind I want everything to be 100% okay with this car.
The car is a 2012 535i xDrive with 68,700 miles, and two previous owners with complete maintenance records.
Will the EVAP monitor eventually become ready? Is there any reason for it to never become ready? Is there anything I can do differently to force the EVAP monitor to the ready state?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas5gd View Post
Will the EVAP monitor eventually become ready? Is there any reason for it to never become ready? Is there anything I can do differently to force the EVAP monitor to the ready state?
No. Yes. No.

From what I understand, that failure is usually caused by gasoline spilling into the canister when "filling to the brim." The canister must be replaced to clear the code.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
No. Yes. No.

From what I understand, that failure is usually caused by gasoline spilling into the canister when "filling to the brim." The canister must be replaced to clear the code.
Thank you for your reply. Are you talking about the charcoal canister? And if I were to replace it, is there anything special I have to do afterwards? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Are you talking about the charcoal canister? And if I were to replace it, is there anything special I have to do afterwards? Thanks again.
Don't know. I had mine replaced under warranty on our 2012.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 02:27 AM   #5
FlemiJackson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

2009 Chevy HHR, Pass exhaust cloud test with tellgamestop evap tellgamestop screen I can't prepare my Evap screen to. It's the last one that is demonstrating inadequate of the upheld ones on my vehicle. I'm seeing on the web in certain spots you can even now breeze through the assessment if your Evap screen isn't prepared, however all others are. I'm in TN.

Last edited by FlemiJackson; 09-15-2020 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0