2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Anyone Familiar with ECS Performance Adjustable Coilovers

02-05-2024, 12:35 PM   #23
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i, X5, 240sx

I can confirm ECS Support is non-existent. Was just on the phone and chat with them (Andy P. was my rep) to see if they had any installation guides or recommended settings to start. NOTHING.... In chat I was pushed to a couple different youtube videos of others that had installed lol. Again, nothing branded ECS.

I started with the back and man.... The worst part for me was fighting with the new coilovers to get them to a longer length. Good luck for all that go through this.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:25 AM   #24
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i, X5, 240sx

HELP!!!

The bolt holding the drivers rear strut to the knuckle is STUCK!!!! I have been at it for two days and it will barely turn. Has anyone fought and won this battle?

I was installing these in the car and started with the back. The rear struts come shipped at the lowest height (or pretty damn close) and were locked. So I thought I would be able to spin them free after installing the top in the car. This of course was a PITA because I had to do this multiple times All was fine until it would appear I tightened the bolt to the car at possibly an angle to maybe cross-thread it. grasping at possibilities here.....

Noticing the issue my Kobalt ratchet was having, I started to back to bolt back out and DUDE.... Two days now turning it one click at a time, with EVERYTHING I HAVE!!!

It's still about a quarter of the way in. Ugh... I'm buttoning up the front now and very well may just have it towed to a local shop that has a lift. I've done everything I can except put a torch to it (don't have one)...

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 01:18 AM   #25
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Definately look into investing the correct tools for the Job, it promotes a safer environment, and less likely to have an accident and prevent injury. Especially with struts and springs. Getting the correct tools also saves you more time, and money overall as you are less likely to ruin or destroy parts you are trying to remove, and as well as less likely to damage any parts you are trying to install.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 11:03 PM   #26
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

The rear strut bolt is torqued to a monstrous torque, you probably want a proper breaker bar.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:44 AM   #27
E90angeleyes
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNorm View Post
Now retailing for $1200.00.

I have a KW system and a shock is going bad. KW cannot supply a replacement, which is a real shoddy way to do business.

Thanks for the response.
What did you end up doing? My KW swaybar endlink tab broke and they quoted me like $500 or $600 for that one part and 3-4 lead time... lol. So I'm thinking of just getting BCs? What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:37 AM   #28
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90angeleyes View Post
What did you end up doing? My KW swaybar endlink tab broke and they quoted me like $500 or $600 for that one part and 3-4 lead time... lol. So I'm thinking of just getting BCs? What do you think?
I ended up creating a homemade fix which has solved the problem. I would never purchase another KW product owing to their cavalier attitude toward customer support. Nor would I buy the ECS coilover for similar reasons. If I had to do it all again, I would go with Bilstein B6 instead.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:12 PM   #29
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
I ended up creating a homemade fix which has solved the problem. I would never purchase another KW product owing to their cavalier attitude toward customer support. Nor would I buy the ECS coilover for similar reasons. If I had to do it all again, I would go with Bilstein B6 instead.
Feel like sharing any more about this homemade fix?

I have B6 in the back of my head as a possibility as well should something render my KWs unusable. But:

1/ what would you use for equivalent springs to get modest lowering and stiffening?
2/ after having Konis in the salt belt, I really have to wonder how anything but aluminum or stainless would fare. B6s are likely painted steel, yes?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:47 PM   #30
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

My car has Bilstein b12 pro kit for over a year. It has been great.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 10:01 PM   #31
E90angeleyes
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:

Good luck.
Thanks. Think I'm just gonna go with BCs. What is the general opinion on those? I'm definitely not paying for another set of KWs, and not sure what else is reasonable.
Appreciate 0