2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Transmission won’t go into gear after transmission swap & starter problem

06-27-2023, 11:38 PM   #1
AFA1464
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93

Transmission won’t go into gear after transmission swap & starter problem

Hi everyone, I’m having a bit of an issue here after swapping my transmission and using original transmission mechatronic on donor transmission.

After the donor transmission (with 60k miles) was installed and using car’s original mechatronic on my 13 535i xdrive, I’m getting a drivetrain malfunction alarm and the car will not go into gear. However, when using ista+ to check the EGS module it shows communication and that its working properly. I even reset the EGS module.

One thing that I find weird is that after everything was reinstalled back on the car, I’m hearing a grinding noise near the torque converter and flywheel. Basically, it’s the starter gear not fully disengaged from the flywheel after startup (verified after removing transmission again), what is also weird is that starter and flywheel weren’t messed with during the transmission work.

On ista the code I’m getting is 420072 Solenoid valve POS: Short-circuit positive. Could this code be related to the starter problem and causing the car to indicate drivetrain malfunction and cause it to not go into gear as well?

I’m waiting on a new starter but, I’m wondering if the drivetrain malfunction light and transmission not going into gear will clear with a new starter? If not I’ll have another problem with the car not going into gear. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:07 AM   #2
Lydonhassam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Hello, have you managed to fix the 420072 code?
Appreciate 0