2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Whistle noise from engine

09-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
jbatt89
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i xdrive

Whistle noise from engine

2015 BMW 535i with 41,000 miles - I just started getting a whistling noise when I accelerate. I took it to the dealer and at first, they told they didn't hear anything. I heard it twice before I drove off the lot and went back and got a service manager to ride with me. We heard it twice so they took it back in for service. They told me nothing is wrong with the car and that the sound was always there and I just started noticing it. I've had the car for a year and I'm not the type of person who wouldn't notice that type of sound - it's annoying. Anyone have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to address? Another concern is that the CPO warranty expires in December and that I'll have a major repair coming my way once it expires.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatt89 View Post
2015 BMW 535i with 41,000 miles - I just started getting a whistling noise when I accelerate. I took it to the dealer and at first, they told they didn't hear anything. I heard it twice before I drove off the lot and went back and got a service manager to ride with me. We heard it twice so they took it back in for service. They told me nothing is wrong with the car and that the sound was always there and I just started noticing it. I've had the car for a year and I'm not the type of person who wouldn't notice that type of sound - it's annoying. Anyone have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to address? Another concern is that the CPO warranty expires in December and that I'll have a major repair coming my way once it expires.
Sounds like you have a failing PCV diaphragm in your valve cover.

Have them replace the Valve cover. If they don't go to another dealership. The whistling sound from the diaphragm is known problem. This is supposed to be a non serviceable item requiring the entire valve cover to be replaced. They're avoiding it.

Or

You can take the DIY route:

Or just buy a new one from FCP
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0