2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Buying Advice - F11

06-29-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
cjblomiley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Buying Advice - F11

Hi all,

Had my e90 30d for the past 7 years but the time may have come to trade up for some more space/practicality with family and staycations.
Had always wanted a 35d when the time came to change and would have always gone M Sport but am seriously tempted by this with all the toys, it has VDC so the drive would still be good? Anything in particular i should watch out for on a higher mileage car or general issues on the F11?

Thanks

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...=Estate&page=1
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #2
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

I have a 2014 (November build) 535D MSport, that I have owned since January 2016. It is fully loaded with every option pretty much and a superb car, now at 61000 miles

Been rock solid over 50k miles of my ownership. Regularly go camping to Cornwall in it (from Nottingham) and it makes the miles pass like they are not there,

It had the infamous EPG recall, as did millions of other BMWs so you might want to check the car has had that done.

Other than that the only issues I have had on mine are the air conditioning condenser failure (which is another well known issue and a recall because a weld fails) any my rear parking sensors failed.

A common component to fail is the rear suspension airbags. Mine are still good though.

A rock solid car with no squeaks or rattles and is highly reliable.

Must have options (IMO), folding mirrors, rear camera and Pro Media. All are options on the F10/F11. HUD is superb and once you've had it it becomes a must have for all cars moving forward.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #3
Huskyman
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjblomiley View Post
Hi all,

Had my e90 30d for the past 7 years but the time may have come to trade up for some more space/practicality with family and staycations.
Had always wanted a 35d when the time came to change and would have always gone M Sport but am seriously tempted by this with all the toys, it has VDC so the drive would still be good? Anything in particular i should watch out for on a higher mileage car or general issues on the F11?

Thanks

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...=Estate&page=1
I did exactly what you are contemplating in 2017, I bought a 3 year old F11 535d LCI M-Sport, with some of the toys. I avoided cars with the panoramic roof as mine lives outdoors. Watch for a build up of leaves in the front bulkhead areas under the bonnet, I clear mine regularly to prevent any problems.
Make sure you check the following:
EGR cooler recall. A must as some cars have caught fire because of this
Wheels for cracks, run flats plus crap British roads = problems.
Check the rear air suspension-expensive to fix if the compressor goes phut
Doors for corrosion, known problem on the door by the window weather strip
I had this on mine
Regular oil changes. Do it every 9k miles, and the transmission fluid needs to be replaced every 60k miles. The gearbox is not sealed for life.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #4
CatnMouse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d f11

If it’s any help I got one with 130k miles and it’s rock solid. Got it with full bmw service history. Did have to replace the compressor and air springs though, but that is the thing with these. That and body rust, look carefully all over, top of doors and boot especially.
Appreciate 0