2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F11 Active Grill Shutter Removal

01-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
RealDealUK91
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11

F11 Active Grill Shutter Removal

Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered previously as I've not been able to find anything on the matter.

I recently saw an F11 with its Active grill shutters removed (you could see the radiator and V braces) I really liked how it looked and want to remove my own. Has anyone done this delete? Did it throw up any codes? Did it affect the car at all? I dont want the slight aesthetic increase to come at the cost of the engine so thought I'd check.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 04:14 AM   #2
Flying_Squad
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520D M Sport

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this, as I considered it myself too from an aesthetic perspective and agree, the v brace exposed is a good look.

However, reading other posts on this subject, it seems there may be detrimental effects in removing the active shutters, as they're part of the EfficientDynamics system.

I believe when the shutter is closed it aids in a quicker engine operating temperature. The shutters, when closed, also reduce drag and thus help fuel consumption. When they're open, it suggests rapid cooling is required by feeding in ambient air.

Not sure on the long term effects of removing them (if any).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
tringuyen7757
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [7.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDealUK91 View Post
Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered previously as I've not been able to find anything on the matter.

I recently saw an F11 with its Active grill shutters removed (you could see the radiator and V braces) I really liked how it looked and want to remove my own. Has anyone done this delete? Did it throw up any codes? Did it affect the car at all? I dont want the slight aesthetic increase to come at the cost of the engine so thought I'd check.

Thanks
I removed mine. Just removed the grilles and popped the shutters out of the clips. It'll throw a code in the dme, but not a cel.
      02-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
RealDealUK91
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tringuyen7757 View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
I removed mine. Just removed the grilles and popped the shutters out of the clips. It'll throw a code in the dme, but not a cel.
Ahh ok thats cool, was there any impact on the performance of the car or time it takes to reach temp?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Ahh ok thats cool, was there any impact on the performance of the car or time it takes to reach temp?
I wish my 535i had come with the active shutters. Would improve the warm up phase. Far too slow, due to the air flows at low ambient temperatures, even in a petrol. Imagine the diesel will be even worse without shutters.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tringuyen7757 View Post
It's option 1CB, so if you want to code it out, that's the option you need to remove from your VO/FA.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:34 AM   #7
Flying_Squad
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
It's option 1CB, so if you want to code it out, that's the option you need to remove from your VO/FA.
So being an "option", does this mean the shutters can be physically removed and coded out, without any negative implication on the engine/any other mechanical components?

If so, it's a must for me, as the exposed crossbars do have a certain aesthetic appeal
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:08 PM   #8
aumazdelete
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535 xi

So for everyone who has removed the active shutters will this process that was used for the g30 work here for the f10?

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 03:11 PM   #9
acarpenter86
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92, 2011 335xi e90

Hopefully you guys are still around.
I purchased an ‘11 535i with minor front end damage so the guy had rounded up all the parts (interior and exterior for the most part) to go MSport.
I received the air duct not installed (oem part) with the active flaps / louvers, but the car does not have the 1CB (CO2 package) option. So I don’t think I’ll have the necessary connections anyway.
Is there anything stopping me from just removing the flaps and using it as a passive unit? As in, it all bolts up the same??
Appreciate 0