2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Transmission fluid change

04-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #23
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

Changing mine today. Bought the FCP Euro kit and using Bimmerlink for trans temp. While she's in the air I'm doing the diff and installing my Gplus intercooler. I'm also going to be using some small dots of JB weld to try and cure a heatshield vibration. I'm also going to be scrubbing the wheels really good. Clean the barrels and look for cracks. Should be fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #24
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

The trans temperature stays at around 40c for a while actually. I thought I had to rush but by the time I finished refilling it was still like 42.

Gplus intercooler? Have other mods?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #25
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
The trans temperature stays at around 40c for a while actually. I thought I had to rush but by the time I finished refilling it was still like 42.

Gplus intercooler? Have other mods?
Yup, it stays under 50*C for like 20ish minutes. You have zero load on the transmission, so there's not much heat being generated.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #26
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Yup, it stays under 50*C for like 20ish minutes. You have zero load on the transmission, so there's not much heat being generated.
Prior to doing my F10 last summer, the last time I did this job was on an E39 540 and it was a panic to get it done as the temperature sky rocketed. There is a heat exchanger between ATF and coolant on the E39 (at least the option list of the one I was working on).

I was shocked to find myself twiddling my thumbs waiting for the F10 to climb into the appropriate range.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #27
Sill4nt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI

Hey guys!
Got a GA8HP50Z on my F10 LCI, I’ve stupidly put in Comma MVATF Plus, the car was fine initially and then it started playing up by slipping gears and having hard shifts between gears. I’ve just changed the fluid and filter today (both OEM ZF) and the car is working fine now. Does anyone have any tips?

I know that the new proper fluid will not be diluted by the rubbish Comma fluid recommended to me by Halfords, would it be worth doing it over and over again? I have a donor spare transmission complete with a torque converter (Id have to reuse mechatronics from existing unit).

Just FYI, the viscosity of the improper comma fluid is higher than that of the ZF LifeGuard 8, and when I dropped the transmission pan today it was horrible and sticky even to the magnets.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #28
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Prior to doing my F10 last summer, the last time I did this job was on an E39 540 and it was a panic to get it done as the temperature sky rocketed. There is a heat exchanger between ATF and coolant on the E39 (at least the option list of the one I was working on).

I was shocked to find myself twiddling my thumbs waiting for the F10 to climb into the appropriate range.
Interesting. I believe our F10's have a dedicated cooling circuit for the transmission fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sill4nt View Post
Hey guys!
Got a GA8HP50Z on my F10 LCI, I’ve stupidly put in Comma MVATF Plus, the car was fine initially and then it started playing up by slipping gears and having hard shifts between gears. I’ve just changed the fluid and filter today (both OEM ZF) and the car is working fine now. Does anyone have any tips?

I know that the new proper fluid will not be diluted by the rubbish Comma fluid recommended to me by Halfords, would it be worth doing it over and over again? I have a donor spare transmission complete with a torque converter (Id have to reuse mechatronics from existing unit).

Just FYI, the viscosity of the improper comma fluid is higher than that of the ZF LifeGuard 8, and when I dropped the transmission pan today it was horrible and sticky even to the magnets.
Where did you get the OEM fluid? If you got from FCP Euro, I'd say its 100% worth changing the fluid again in about 100 miles to get most of the crappy ATF out of the torque converter.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #29
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

So I got the kit from FCP euro to do transmission oil change, after changing oil, transmission is making weird whine or like supercharger noise. It made this noise on the first start as I was warming up transmission oil to measure. It shifts fine when driving. I have xHP trans flash. No codes. Any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #30
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

glad I did this change. Mine shifts much smoother. 130k miles old fluid was not doing the job very well anymore.
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #31
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

I just did mine on the past Sat with FCP EURO parts at 85k miles.

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #32
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
So I got the kit from FCP euro to do transmission oil change, after changing oil, transmission is making weird whine or like supercharger noise. It made this noise on the first start as I was warming up transmission oil to measure. It shifts fine when driving. I have xHP trans flash. No codes. Any other suggestions?
Sorry just saw this. What fluid do you use? Did you use ZF? If not, then that's probably your cause. If the transmission was also slipping before you changed the fluid, then that can also be the case too. About a couple months late to respond but I hope you get it figured out.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #33
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
Quote:
Sorry just saw this. What fluid do you use? Did you use ZF? If not, then that's probably your cause. If the transmission was also slipping before you changed the fluid, then that can also be the case too. About a couple months late to respond but I hope you get it figured out.
Quote:
Quote:
I did get the ZF fluid. But I think the problem occurred when I used jack at rear differential to level the car since front end was on ramps. So it may have put strain on transmission through drive shaft, so now it makes supercharger whine, but as times go and more I drive the noise is bit less. BMW has listed rear differential has jack point, I triple checked to make sure jack was right place.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 03:26 AM   #34
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did get the ZF fluid. But I think the problem occurred when I used jack at rear differential to level the car since front end was on ramps. So it may have put strain on transmission through drive shaft, so now it makes supercharger whine, but as times go and more I drive the noise is bit less. BMW has listed rear differential has jack point, I triple checked to make sure jack was right place.
Interesting, I never heard of this before. I hope it works out for you in the end. I feel like jacking the differential on the designated spot wouldn't really create a problem though but then again I'm not sure. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #35
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The diff is a lifting point. You're supposed to jack it up there and then use stands on the sides. If you're running the car with the transmission spinning and still holding the car via the diff, it will probably cause some things to grind. You might have caused some gaskets to compress and rub, causing the sound.
Appreciate 1