2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications LPFP upgrade

12-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #45
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTCoupe View Post
So with this I can run at least E50?
No. You will need a HPFP upgrade. E35 at most.
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #46
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

I've been running my DIY Walbro on MHD Stage 2 E30 tune for over a year now and its been fine except for one hiccup. When it was very hot this summer and I was idling for over 20 minutes and the car shut off with a fuel fault. It started backup after an hour. Before summer arrives I plan to enhance the cooling on my EKP.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #47
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
I've been running my DIY Walbro on MHD Stage 2 E30 tune for over a year now and its been fine except for one hiccup. When it was very hot this summer and I was idling for over 20 minutes and the car shut off with a fuel fault. It started backup after an hour. Before summer arrives I plan to enhance the cooling on my EKP.
You can get bmp4 to replace your ekmp3 module but cost is 650/700 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #48
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
You can get bmp4 to replace your ekmp3 module but cost is 650/700 bucks.
And doesn't the ekmp3 need to be coded as well? I don't believe it's plug and play.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #49
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: x335i/x550i/x640i/x540i/c750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
No. You will need a HPFP upgrade. E35 at most.

Only XDI right? Unless I go with the B58..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #50
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 F15 E39 E90 E53

Subscribed. My next upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #51
naCAnItihS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i MSport

I did this the other day. It was pretty simple and took about an 1.5-2hrs to complete. Def make sure your fuel light is on before attempting this. Also to assist in fuel pressure bleed down make sure you disconnect the pump's wiring and then start the engine (a lot) until it just cranks w/o firing. Then disconnect the fuel line (carefully use a small flat head to pull the tab out).

I used a large flat head and 3lb hammer to spin the lock ring off and on vs buying a tool, it was pretty easy. Next you just disconnect the connector with the blue/black wires from the cover, then 2 black quick disconnect 90* fuel lines (squeeze with your fingers), then pop the venturi out of it's holder (reach you fingers back there and pop it up), then pull the 3 large clip ears away from the pump assy and then just snake it out of the tank. When reinstalling the just make sure you watch and make sure the fuel filter sock goes in nice.

I used male spade connectors clamped onto the Walbro pump wires (removed the plastic insulators from them). Make sure you have good spades that are solid and not cheap ones that are bent to make the spade part. You need to trim the negative one so that it is thinner (or get 2 sizes) in order to fit into the OEM connector as the negative is thinner on the pump.

Reinstall how you took it apart. I then started it with the seat and chassis cover still off (lock ring on) just to make sure it worked nicely. I then reset some of the adaptations and you should be good to go.

Bought the parts on Summit Racing

Walbro Pump:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-F90000274

Walbro Corrugated Hose:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-TF0002516

And for those that are concerned about the potential EKP Module issues (overheating) with the rise in current here is a neat thread about cooling it. I bought a 12V 40x40x10 fan and some small stick on heat sinks for an arduino to attach to the Mossfet. I haven't done this yet as I don't have the pieces but it should be a good piece of preventative maintenance.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1316911
Attached Images

Last edited by naCAnItihS; 04-15-2020 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #52
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by naCAnItihS View Post
I did this the other day. It was pretty simple and took about an 1.5-2hrs to complete. Def make sure your fuel light is on before attempting this. Also to assist in fuel pressure bleed down make sure you disconnect the pump's wiring and then start the engine (a lot) until it just cranks w/o firing. Then disconnect the fuel line (carefully use a small flat head to pull the tab out).

I used a large flat head and 3lb hammer to spin the lock ring off and on vs buying a tool, it was pretty easy. Next you just disconnect the connector with the blue/black wires from the cover, then 2 black quick disconnect 90* fuel lines (squeeze with your fingers), then pop the venturi out of it's holder (reach you fingers back there and pop it up), then pull the 3 large clip ears away from the pump assy and then just snake it out of the tank. When reinstalling the just make sure you watch and make sure the fuel filter sock goes in nice.

I used male spade connectors clamped onto the Walbro pump wires (removed the plastic insulators from them). Make sure you have good spades that are solid and not cheap ones that are bent to make the spade part. You need to trim the negative one so that it is thinner (or get 2 sizes) in order to fit into the OEM connector as the negative is thinner on the pump.

Reinstall how you took it apart. I then started it with the seat and chassis cover still off (lock ring on) just to make sure it worked nicely. I then reset some of the adaptations and you should be good to go.

Bought the parts on Summit Racing

Walbro Pump:

Walbro Corrugated Hose:

And for those that are concerned about the potential EKP Module issues (overheating) with the rise in current here is a neat thread about cooling it. I bought a 12V 40x40x10 fan and some small stick on heat sinks for an arduino to attach to the Mossfet. I haven't done this yet as I don't have the pieces but it should be a good piece of preventative maintenance.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1316911
thanks for sharing! and for bringing this thread back! First time I read it, lol. Here I am getting ready to go E30 on my next tank for the first time and I see all of this great fueling info!
      04-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #53
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Nice write up. One thing that has NOT been clear in this thread is how much the older continental hpfps can take vs the newer ones of e85.
I have an older one so if I did the lpfp and did my fuel lines to the hpfp, how much e85 could I run?

This should be a different answer compared to the newer pumps. Please LMK!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #54
naCAnItihS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Nice write up. One thing that has NOT been clear in this thread is how much the older continental hpfps can take vs the newer ones of e85.
I have an older one so if I did the lpfp and did my fuel lines to the hpfp, how much e85 could I run?

From my understanding the only thing holding you back after this from running full E85 (besides adequate fuel pressure) would be the OEM rubber fuel lines. Running an E30 blend should be just fine with stock lines. The HPFP shouldn't have any problems especially since that "older" Continental ones are shared with the N54 guys which have modded these cars to oblivion. The older style pumps also have more headroom in terms of max flow/HP before needing upgrades than the newer style HPFPs.

Fuel-it sells a kit to upgrade the lines for like $145. If you want a sensor etc that will obv be more money.

https://www.fuel-it.com/bmw-f-series...nsor-upgrades/

Last edited by naCAnItihS; 04-15-2020 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #55
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
That's what I was thinking, thanks for the info!
I was going to go look at N54 threads for this reason but you confirmed it. So for basically 250 bucks and a couple hours I can go full e85 or a high % blend. I heard around 50 is optimal with 93 octane. I need to do this before I get my custom tune done.

I wonder what kind of gains you'd get with this with just bolt-ons.

EDIT

Just answered my own question:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1312822

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube

Last edited by BimmerHausPerformance; 04-15-2020 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #56
jayster0966
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:

I'm running full E85 with port injection on my 11 535 with the old style hpfp and a Walbro 450 lpfp. Car runs great. I do get a occasional fuel system warning when doing multiple pulls but warning disappears after a couple of seconds.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #57
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
I'm running full E85 with port injection on my 11 535 with the old style hpfp and a Walbro 450 lpfp. Car runs great. I do get a occasional fuel system warning when doing multiple pulls but warning disappears after a couple of seconds.
NICE! What other mods do you have? What tune do you run and have you gotten a dyno?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #58
jayster0966
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
NICE! What other mods do you have? What tune do you run and have you gotten a dyno?
I currently have full bolt ons, Wagner FMIC, Pure S2, GFB diverter, port injection, S2 lpfp, K&N drop in, etc..., custom tune by Cary Jordan.

We are only on the second revision of the tune before current lock down started so have not had a chance yet to test how we are doing on revision 3 which does feel a touch quicker. Last time I ran it on my buddy's dyno we did 442 whp and 433 wtrq. If you factor in drivetrain loss that puts it above 500 at the crank. Not the most powerful thing out there but nice/quick and reliable. Of course power numbers always vary by vehicle, weather, and dyno.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #59
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just got finished doing this. Took about 2 hrs being meticulous and clean. And still found debris in the bottom of my tank. And yes I vacuumed before hand. Not sure if it fell in or was already there even with me being very careful. So used the wet vac to suck out fuel and debris. Can't stress enough to wait until you are at very low reserve to do this. Thanks for the heads up. I waited til It said 8 miles to empty. It's a bit of a pain snaking the pump out. The line that wraps around from the cover to the regulator to the pump was a bit intimidating. Only because you can't see it. Or the regulator. I looked in newtis and saw they referred to popping the regulator out. But could not see/find it. After I did that it was smooth sailing. Only 1 issue. I finished and drove off to gas up. And found out only after filling the tank that I forgot to plug the sender unit back up. That's the plug where it sends the fuel level to the gauge! The one on the bottom side. (Doh!! Homer Simpson voice). Have to wait until tank is low again to go back in there. Only thing is I don't know how much fuel I have??? I marked my mileage so I should be ok. But thanks for all the previous posts and advise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:34 PM   #60
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck914 View Post
Just got finished doing this. Took about 2 hrs being meticulous and clean. And still found debris in the bottom of my tank. And yes I vacuumed before hand. Not sure if it fell in or was already there even with me being very careful. So used the wet vac to suck out fuel and debris. Can't stress enough to wait until you are at very low reserve to do this. Thanks for the heads up. I waited til It said 8 miles to empty. It's a bit of a pain snaking the pump out. The line that wraps around from the cover to the regulator to the pump was a bit intimidating. Only because you can't see it. Or the regulator. I looked in newtis and saw they referred to popping the regulator out. But could not see/find it. After I did that it was smooth sailing. Only 1 issue. I finished and drove off to gas up. And found out only after filling the tank that I forgot to plug the sender unit back up. That's the plug where it sends the fuel level to the gauge! The one on the bottom side. (Doh!! Homer Simpson voice). Have to wait until tank is low again to go back in there. Only thing is I don't know how much fuel I have??? I marked my mileage so I should be ok. But thanks for all the previous posts and advise.
Nicely done! And man stuff like that happens. Just an excuse to work on your car again . You did not mention the details on your end. What pump did you upgrade to? What are your current mods and what are you trying to get to?

Thanks for sharing!
      04-26-2020, 11:25 PM   #61
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nothing in particular that I'm trying to "get to". I guess I just got motivated seeing it as an "upgrade". And preventative maintenance for $100. I don't typically get stranded. But would hate if I was. Hpfp goes out car will go into limp mode. LPFP goes and your a sitting duck. Car has 127k on it now so I figured sooner than later. I went with the lp450 ends in 267. I have the newest version jb4 installed and figured it might be cool to do the whole e85 thing. But I'm second guessing using that in my car. Lots of mixed reviews/myths about it.
Appreciate 1
95blkmax212.50
      04-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #62
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck914 View Post
Nothing in particular that I'm trying to "get to". I guess I just got motivated seeing it as an "upgrade". And preventative maintenance for $100. I don't typically get stranded. But would hate if I was. Hpfp goes out car will go into limp mode. LPFP goes and your a sitting duck. Car has 127k on it now so I figured sooner than later. I went with the lp450 ends in 267. I have the newest version jb4 installed and figured it might be cool to do the whole e85 thing. But I'm second guessing using that in my car. Lots of mixed reviews/myths about it.
That's a good idea. Always best to do these things on your terms than when they decide go to out.

Every car will be different, but I can tell you that based on my logs, my 2011 (so I have the Continental HPFP), running FBO and E30 with a max of 12psi (problem being trouble-shot this week hopefully, see my Boost Troubleshooting thread for reference), my HPFP is holding at 1650psi. I'll still upgrade the LPFP as I doubt it'll keep up once I fix my boost issue (sitting just over 112k miles right now)
      04-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #63
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I just put 4 gallons of e85 without any lpfp to see what my car would do and it's running without issue at all. One thing I noticed was the sign said "at least 51% ethanol." How the heck are you supposed to do proper calculations with out an ethanol reader? When I do this I'm definitely going to go with that. Oh an of course when I got onto the freeway there was a 50th anniversary vet and low and behold there was NOT an old guy driving it so we actually raced. Yea... didn't win but he didn't pull on me that hard... need PS2.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #64
jayster0966
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just put 4 gallons of e85 without any lpfp to see what my car would do and it's running without issue at all. One thing I noticed was the sign said "at least 51% ethanol." How the heck are you supposed to do proper calculations with out an ethanol reader? When I do this I'm definitely going to go with that. Oh an of course when I got onto the freeway there was a 50th anniversary vet and low and behold there was NOT an old guy driving it so we actually raced. Yea... didn't win but he didn't pull on me that hard... need PS2.
Thats exactly the issue I was always facing when mixing fuels. The uncertainty of the actual ethanol content in the tank. Here in Cali the full E85 fill up actually is only at E79 (at least for now). Highest I have had is E83 during the summer months last year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #65
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
Thats exactly the issue I was always facing when mixing fuels. The uncertainty of the actual ethanol content in the tank. Here in Cali the full E85 fill up actually is only at E79 (at least for now). Highest I have had is E83 during the summer months last year.
What e monitoring set up is that?! I like it!
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #66
jayster0966
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What e monitoring set up is that?! I like it!
It is a project that a buddy and myself undertook to provide real-time ethanol content in the fuel system of any vehicle. We use a GM ethanol sensor spliced into the main fuel feed to the motor. Board is a Arduino and programmed by my buddy. Case was 3D printed back then but we do use a pre-made case now.
Appreciate 0