2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 12.3" Popout Android Multimedia Navigation System for BMW 5 Series F10 F11 F18

11-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #45
zer0g333
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10

can you still play music on ur phone via bluetooth or usb on your original idrive system? also will it add navigation to my original idrive, i have cic?

also how's the carplay, does it lag at all?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #46
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2004mj View Post
no complaints as of yet. only thing worth mentioning maybe if your start the car and immediately throw it in reverse before it fully boots up it sometimes leave the screen black. just wait for it to boot and touch the screen and the droid side comes right up and all is cherry. if I wait 20-30 sec for It to actually boot there's no issues. for install have trim tools and a soft rag to lay on the console to save you from scratching it up. believe you'll need a torx 25 or 27 for head unit removal.
To each his own, but from my experience with 2 other AVIN headunits, you shouldn't HAVE to wait half a minute for the headunit to boot just so it doesn't mess up, in order to go about your day.

None of their previous head units had that problem.

But hey, if the unit is worth it enough for you to deal with that, then I envy your patience. For me, it's unacceptable. Especially when you just want to leave asap by putting your car into reverse, and this unit corrupts the screen to where you can't even see the OEM reverse camera.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #47
cb2004mj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

guess I didn't clarify enough. if I start the car and IMMEDIATELY shift to reverse it'll show the backup camera but instead of going back to radio/nav/etc it goes black and I have to touch it to wake it up or go back to the other screen. very minor issue that's happened one time. if I litterly wait a few seconds, basically normal day. throw my drink in the cup holder and buckle my seat belt then put it in reverse. then it's fine. but if you don't like it I understand, guess I got super lucky with no issues. just to clarify I'm also not running any other boot load or update etc. just the avin screen as it comes. no corruption or issues
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #48
Dblzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535i

I actually just installed this also in my 14 535i ( got it on the 11/11 sale for AliExpress from NaviFly- Just above 500all in ), it's only been a couple of days, but i love it. Awesome upgrade .. for me it was mostly about the CarPlay, and having a bigger screen. Audio is good, i was worried about the quality but so far i can't tell any difference than before. Anybody sitting on the fence on this one... i say go for it, especially if you want CarPlay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #49
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2004mj View Post
guess I didn't clarify enough. if I start the car and IMMEDIATELY shift to reverse it'll show the backup camera but instead of going back to radio/nav/etc it goes black and I have to touch it to wake it up or go back to the other screen. very minor issue that's happened one time. if I litterly wait a few seconds, basically normal day. throw my drink in the cup holder and buckle my seat belt then put it in reverse. then it's fine. but if you don't like it I understand, guess I got super lucky with no issues. just to clarify I'm also not running any other boot load or update etc. just the avin screen as it comes. no corruption or issues
Also to clarify, in my first unit I updated almost immediately and did all the things I usually do with these units to make them as I like them. But with the 2nd unit, because of the issues I had with the first, I did NOTHING to it other than plug it into the car. And it still got corrupted. So I knew something was wrong with at least some of these units, it was just a matter of convincing AVIN.

I think that now a few people have contacted me saying they have the same issue, and they have contacted AVIN as well, AVIN is finally admitting it wasn't just my units that had the problem. I will hopefully have some news to share next week though.

PS: I despise that "blue ray filter", as AVIN calls it. While it does a good job with glare, it blurs the onscreen text A LOT! I got rid of it initially because I didn't think I needed a filter in my car at all because it has tinted windows. It wasn't until I took it off that I realized how fuzzy it had been making the text. The text is so much crisper without it (if you can live with the glare, or can wait until AVIN has the non blue version soon, I would do without the "blue ray" filter. And make a point of looking at the text as you're peeling it off to see what I mean)

Last edited by EvntHrzn; 11-22-2020 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:13 AM   #50
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

great info evnthrzn. I also hated the blue screen filter thing, I do wish they had a anti glare screen protector but having full tinted windows helps. the screen is amazing as far as clarity and definition! I'm amazed by some of the movies/videos I've had on It. keep us posted on the corruption findings. I'm glad I don't have these issues but hope you all get some updates and maybe I'll have an option if mine does come up with some issues thank to your persistence in fixing this.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #51
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quick question for you guys: does the iDrive knob work in android mode, or it's only touchscreen control?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #52
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

It's all junk..stick to OEM. Looks nice but it's Android and will screw up. If you want enhancement, add CarPlay box.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #53
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
It's all junk..stick to OEM. Looks nice but it's Android and will screw up. If you want enhancement, add CarPlay box.
yea that's beneficial to the thread. thanks
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #54
Young80i
Rep
Drives: F10

Want to replace my screen 2011 535i. Please help which option is mine CIC or NBT?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #55
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young80i View Post
Want to replace my screen 2011 535i. Please help which option is mine CIC or NBT?
CIC

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #56
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Avin has reassured me that the corruption issues that I, and a couple of other members had issues with, have been corrected and the new batch of units do not have the issue. I have (perhaps stupidly) ordered a second unit (3rd if you count the unit that was sent as a replacement for the 1st), and will report back if I have any further issues.

I'm like a dog with a bone on this. I really want this unit to work solely because it just looks so nice in my car Let's see what happens.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #57
khile
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 540i 2018

Just ordered one also I've noticed there's a few other companies doing these now also
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #58
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

mines still doing great sorry eventhrn you've been plagued with this
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #59
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

A quick update on my AVIN 12.3" Popout unit debacle of 2020! I went ahead and purchased another after AVIN assured me that the kinks had been worked out on the units. I was skeptical after the clusterfuck that I went through in trying to get the last two to work, but so far after 6 days, no issues with this unit.

I did not update to the latest firmware found on another thread (2.5.3) because the unit came with 2.3.5, and that is good enough for me at this point (and also because I'm not a big fan of the memorykiller function in 2.5.3). The ONLY modification I made was to update the factory_config file with Kri's translated version (with some modifications of my own) so that I could use different UI's.

Time will tell if the issues rear their ugly heads again, but so far, I'm very pleased to have this amazing looking HU finally working in my car.

As a side note: I noticed this last time, but I'm fairly certain that these units have better sound than the previous ones I had from AVIN (it's marginal, as they're both great, but there's just something slightly punchier/better about these 12.3 units. I'm not a sound engineer, so I can't elaborate any further)

Another note: I have had all of BAVSOUND's products for some time: speakers, subs, and amp, so the sound was already much better than stock anyway.
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2020, 03:06 AM   #60
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Good to hear. I wouldn't upgrade the firmware if all the functionally is working properly. There's no point having the the latest firmware if it didn't bring new features you needed or fix anything that's not working up to your expection. I just bought the 12.3" Navifly unit and hopefully can get it install before Xmas.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #61
DennisTheMenace
Rep
Drives: 750

The unit from this company might be a bit better, maybe I am wrong.

https://4x4shop.ca/product/2009-2016...sb-multimedia/
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #62
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

I installed the Navifly 12.3" unit yesterday. Installation is straightforward. Only problem I face is it doesn't switch to front camera after changing R to D.

Also, my firmware is v 2.3.0. I read the f30 thread v 2.3.6 have improve Zlink apps. Anyone try to upgrade v 2.3.6 and go without issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:45 AM   #63
khile
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 540i 2018

Yes my firmware was old i flashed to Ksw-Q-Userdebug_OS_v2.5.8-ota and works great and there is a setting within the factory menu for camera by backup camera is oem but my front camera is aftermarket and once car goes from R to D it switches to front for about 10 seconds
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #64
Nalexl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI

What do you think from Navifly 12.3 vs original profissional screen? And about 10" Android screen?
The poput 12.3 makes any kind of plastics noise?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 02:24 AM   #65
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalexl View Post
What do you think from Navifly 12.3 vs original profissional screen? And about 10" Android screen?
Can't speak to the Navifly, as I bought through AVIN(USA). As far as the plastic noises, that is one of my pet peeves, ANY kind of rattle, squeak, or creek in my car. I took all my doors apart and lubricated any part that rubbed against another with Shin-Etsu to eliminate 90% of random noises while driving. Now the only creeks I get are due to temperature variances when it's really cold or hot, which are hard to pin down and avoid.

As to your actual question: I put some Shin-Etsu on the contact points between the bracket and car, and the sliding points on the bracket and screen. I haven't had much in the way of noises since I've had the unit installed.

I know this is likely over the top, but that's what happens when you have OCD. Sometimes though, it's a good thing to have. I also put some very thin foam strips under the screen itself, because in my car, it actually rests on the trim when it's fully snapped into place. And I didn't want it making noise or scratching the trim.

Can't say if the unit would be making noises had I not taken these measures. But perhaps you can implement some of these things preemptively so you don't have any either.

FYI: I've been using Shin-Etsu (it's just a well formulated silicone paste) since I used to drive a Honda, this stuff is good for lubricating pretty much anything, despite it being marketed for the rubber weather seals. I wouldn't use it on metal to metal contact points though (like in a sunroof).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #66
Dblzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalexl View Post
No noises on the navifly 12.3 inch for me. Fitment was good and had no issues with squeaks or anything like that. I was worried when I ordered mine seeing people complain about it but all good with me !
Appreciate 0