2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Heated Steering wheel DIY

01-28-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Heated Steering wheel DIY

Hello,

Last year I upgraded the steering wheel in my F10 to the M-Sport one. Everything has been running great. I knew that when I purchased it, that it would have functions in it that my car did not originally come with.

One of the missing functions is the heated steering wheel. (I do not have KAFAS or KAFAS2 for the vibration, so that's a dead-end).

I have been doing some research and it seems that the heating element requires a pinout on the clockspring/control arm part that my car just does not have.

I have searched these forums and found a post about piggybacking off the 12v/ground from the airbag pinout. However, I'm trying to keep this as clean as possible and avoid questionable power draws.

My question is if I buy the following parts, and VO code for heated steering, will it work or is there something that I am not accounting for?
I have confirmed that the steering wheel has the heating element inside just to be sure, just not the pin header to connect to on the steering column (aka clock spring) as I said.

So I think I would need a new clock spring/control arm section, and a new switch to turn on the heating:

Steering column/Clock spring/control arms (Part# 61319354047):

Steering wheel heated switch/column adjuster combo (Part# 61319188878):

I know that just buying the switch won't work, that much I have researched to 100% confidence.

Any thoughts of problems that I may run into, like that car not accepting a new SZL and other things like that? I'm somewhat comfortable with ESYS coding, so lay it on me if you have any advice.

I have been referencing this guide, but unfortunately, they do not go into detail on what to do if our cars do not have Lane change/departure warning, since those are the cars that would have the socket required to make the heated steering wheel work (since vibration and heating share the same 12v line)

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit PDF

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Several folks have changed out their steering wheel for heating.....and while the PDF is for non-sport, the process is more or less the same.

A factory install will require that heating power wires from the JBE are run over to the SZL clockspring, so a new clocksping will be required to get factory operation. I personally wouldn't hang anything off the airbag pins..the "reward" isn't worth the "risk"...

If you buy an F10 P/N compatible clockspring used, it should not require programming to work, but if you decide to do an I-STEP later, you may run into registration misalignment within FA/TAL in ESYS.

You'll want to VO your KOMBI so that you get the steering wheel heating function notification on your instrument cluster. I thought I could live without it, but it's hard t look behind the steering wheel to see if the orange light for heating is lit on the switch.
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 02-07-2021 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #3
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Several folks have changed out their steering wheel for heating.....and while the PDF is for non-sport, the process is more or less the same.

A factory install will require that heating power wires from the JBE are run over to the SZL clockspring, so a new clocksping will be required to get factory operation. I personally wouldn't hang anything off the airbag pins..the "reward" isn't worth the "risk"...

If you buy an F10 P/N compatible clockspring used, it should not require programming to work, but if you decide to do an I-STEP later, you may run into registration misalignment within FA/TAL in ESYS.

You'll want to VO your KOMBI so that you get the steering wheel heating function notification on your instrument cluster. I thought I could live without it, but it's hard t look behind the steering wheel to see if the orange light for heating is lit on the switch.
Thank you for all the information, much appreciated.

Ya, my sentiment is the same about running power off the airbag pins. While it may not be a "big deal" to some, I'm very OCD about these things, and I would be thinking about how it could malfunction, the whole time I'm driving it, haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:53 PM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

If you need help, feel free to ask...wiring up to the JBE and clockspring is not that hard...sourcing the right clockspring might be challenging...I haven't seen too many used on eBay....I've been looking.

On another forum, there is thread on wiring up the Automatic High Beam feature which requires a new clock spring....

BTW, my picture above looks like an M5 interior...because it is, but it's an M5 interior in an F10 535.....
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2021, 11:11 PM   #5
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you need help, feel free to ask...wiring up to the JBE and clockspring is not that hard...sourcing the right clockspring might be challenging...I haven't seen too many used on eBay....I've been looking.

On another forum, there is thread on wiring up the Automatic High Beam feature which requires a new clock spring....

BTW, my picture above looks like an M5 interior...because it is, but it's an M5 interior in an F10 535.....
Ok I will take you up on the help whenever I start this project, thank you!

But for now, I would like to clear up some of the part names if you don't mind.

I don't know if the part you are referring to as the clock spring is what this part is (#61319354047, the one I listed in my post), or is it a different part "inside" that part that has the control arms/steering column (I know that's a confusing sentence). I couldn't find much of a further breakdown on realoem.

I don't mind having to buy the entire part (around $600 US) if that makes it easier for wiring. If it is in fact Part# 61319354047:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/61319354047/

I just don't know if that part is the correct one or the one that is just like mine that doesn't have the pinouts for the heating/vibrating (the pic angles on ECS aren't helpful in determining that).

I thought I would just have to buy the clockspring/control arm part, and the column heater switch. But you are saying I have to wire up the clockspring to the JBE. I assume there's a part number for that harness. If so I'll do some research, any help there would be welcomed of course.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 01:24 AM   #6
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Your Clock Spring is the same as my clock spring or clockspring....I might have joined the two words together, and BMW calls it the Steering Column Switch Cluster (SZL = A92), all one-in-the-same. The entity inside the steering wheel for the vibe/heating is the Electronic Steering Wheel Module (A69).

The part number, 61319354047, supports heated/vibe function...and if you go to FCP Euro, they have better pictures. If you go to their 3rd picture that shows the three connectors on the rear of the SZL, the top connector is A91*2B, the one underneath is connector A91*1B, and to the right, the lower connector is A92*5B. Connector A92*2B runs wires to the JBE, and if the SZL does NOT support heating/vibe, the lower white row with two pins will be missing, but they are present on the 61319354047 part, so it supports heat/vibe.

Another way to tell, which neither FCP Euro, nor ECS show, is on the front of the SZL, at the 5 O'Clock position is connector A92*4B, with 4 pins...and if not populated will NOT support heat/vibe.

Factory heated steering wheel uses +12VDC from the JBE, Fuse F24, 10 Amps, via the JBE, Connector Z1*10B pin 8, and goes straight to the SZL, Connector A92*1B, pin 9, and uses Ground routed from the SZL, Connector A92*1B, pin 11 to the JBE, Connector A34*3B pin 8. The wire diameter is 0.75mm^2 which is equivalent to 18 AWG.

The harness (two wires) from the JBE to the SZL is part of the primary main cabin harness and costs $10,144.73 and not sure you want to spend this much for two wires....you need the pins and the plastic connectors, which can be purchased easily from BMW...I can help with part numbers if you need....

I purchased the whole car harness from an F10 ///M5 for $499 on eBay, which I have extracted the needed wiring and connectors for all the wiring upgrades I did in my vehicle over the last year, including heated steering wheel, 4 zone climate control, rear heated seats, rear powered blind, high beam assist, and B&O.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your Clock Spring is the same as my clock spring or clockspring....I might have joined the two words together, and BMW calls it the Steering Column Switch Cluster (SZL = A92), all one-in-the-same. The entity inside the steering wheel for the vibe/heating is the Electronic Steering Wheel Module (A69).

The part number, 61319354047, supports heated/vibe function...and if you go to FCP Euro, they have better pictures. If you go to their 3rd picture that shows the three connectors on the rear of the SZL, the top connector is A91*2B, the one underneath is connector A91*1B, and to the right, the lower connector is A92*5B. Connector A92*2B runs wires to the JBE, and if the SZL does NOT support heating/vibe, the lower white row with two pins will be missing, but they are present on the 61319354047 part, so it supports heat/vibe.

Another way to tell, which neither FCP Euro, nor ECS show, is on the front of the SZL, at the 5 O'Clock position is connector A92*4B, with 4 pins...and if not populated will NOT support heat/vibe.

Factory heated steering wheel uses +12VDC from the JBE, Fuse F24, 10 Amps, via the JBE, Connector Z1*10B pin 8, and goes straight to the SZL, Connector A92*1B, pin 9, and uses Ground routed from the SZL, Connector A92*1B, pin 11 to the JBE, Connector A34*3B pin 8. The wire diameter is 0.75mm^2 which is equivalent to 18 AWG.

The harness (two wires) from the JBE to the SZL is part of the primary main cabin harness and costs $10,144.73 and not sure you want to spend this much for two wires....you need the pins and the plastic connectors, which can be purchased easily from BMW...I can help with part numbers if you need....

I purchased the whole car harness from an F10 ///M5 for $499 on eBay, which I have extracted the needed wiring and connectors for all the wiring upgrades I did in my vehicle over the last year, including heated steering wheel, 4 zone climate control, rear heated seats, rear powered blind, high beam assist, and B&O.
Been a bit busy lately but I wanted to pop in before I forget, to THANK YOU for the amazingly detailed response. This is pretty much all the info I could have asked for to get started on this project. When I do get started, I may bug you again about those part numbers from the harness though (ya I'm not paying $10k for a few wires lol).

And your car seems impressive with all those upgrades. You tempt me....but one upgrade at a time for me lol

Many thanks, M_Bimmer!
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Posting pictures of the SZL connector wire addition and JBE wire location all to support heated steering wheel mod:

Wire 1:
- Run wire from the Front Fuse Box (JBE), Connector Z1*10B pin 8, Fuse 24 to the Steering Wheel Clockspring (SZL), Connector A92*1B, pin 9 (+12VDC can be taken from other source, so optional)

Wire 2:
- Run wire from the Front Fuse Box (JBE), Connector A34*3B pin 11 to the Steering Wheel Clockspring (SZL), Connector A92*1B, pin 11 (Ground that is FET driven, so this is NOT an optional hookup...must be installed so heating on/off switch works)

The wire diameter to use is 0.75mm^2 which is equivalent to 18 AWG.
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 04-08-2021 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Here is the JBE side:

The A34 connector will use a:
- 61131393704 Socket only
- 61130005197 Socket crimped on wire (recommended if you don't have a wire crimper)
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 04-14-2021 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #10
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Do you have the right clock spring?

There are various Steering Wheel Stalk Assembly (aka Clock-spring) and they come in various configurations installed from the factory:

1. No Heat, no HBA (Dealer replacement will use #3)
2. No Heat, HBA (Dealer replacement will use #4)
3. Heat, no HBA (BMW over-the-counter P/N: 61-31-9-354-047 + replacement for #1)
4. Heat, HBA (BMW over-the-counter P/N: 61-31-9-354-048 + replacement for #2)

NOTE: If you have vibe, but no heat, you can add heat w/o changing your clock spring and conversely if you have heat and want to add vibe, you do NOT need to change out your clock spring. The above list should really replace "Heat" with "steering wheel electronics module"

NOTE: The HBA switch on the left stalk has nothing to do with the connector and pin configuration to support the steering wheel electronics module, thus the parts catalog supporting the 047 and 048 part numbers.

To determine if your clock spring, original or purchased, supports heated steering wheel and/or vibe (support of steering wheel electronics module) by inspecting the front and rear of your clock spring (see pictures below)
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 04-13-2021 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #11
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

For the F10 M-sport and ///M wheel, there are choices for the steering wheel control unit (electronic module), and to make use of the steering wheel control unit, the steering wheel wiring harness must support the LIN Bus wire connection, so if adding a steering control unit, you will need to change out the wiring harness too....but if you are replacing a steering control unit to add features, then you most likely will not have to replace the steering wheel wiring harness.

A: P/N 61317848638 - Supports only heating
B: P/N 61317848639 - Supports only vibe
C: P/N 61317848640 - Supports heating and vibe

where.....

1. 1-wire black connector: LIN BUS signal and plugs into the steering wheel wiring harness
2. 2-wire black connector: Control Unit Electrical Power that and plugs into the steering wheel clock spring front at the 5 O'clock position
3. 4-wire white connector: Plugs into the steering wheel heating element/thermistor
4. 2-wire white connector: Plugs into the steering wheel vibe motor
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 04-16-2021 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #12
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

When you add features, heating, vibe, and/or paddles to your steering wheel, you'll most likely need to update the steering wheel wiring harness. Below is pictured a full-featured wiring harness, and so if you have less features, the applicable connector may be missing from your current harness:
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 04-17-2021 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #13
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Hi all, thanks for this write up, great stuff.

In my prior car, a 2015 335i that had lane departure warning with vibrating steering wheel, all I had to do was add the steering column switch and do some coding to enable heated steering wheel. This was because in the F30 the wheel itself had both the heating element and the vibration module.

I'm assuming it's the same in the F10? So if I have the vibrating wheel in my F10, it also has the heating element? Thus, I only need to replace the switch on the steering column and code. Please confirm!

Last edited by otay; 05-24-2021 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #14
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Hi all, thanks for this write up, great stuff.

In my prior car, a 2015 335i that had lane departure warning with vibrating steering wheel, all I had to do was add the steering column switch and do some coding to enable heated steering wheel. This was because in the F30 the wheel itself had both the heating element and the vibration module.

I'm assuming it's the same in the F10? So if I have the vibrating wheel in my F10, it also has the heating element? Thus, I only need to replace the switch on the steering column and code. Please confirm!
Have you tried to bolt the steering wheel into your F10? F30 have different splines than F10 so I don't think it will fit. Only steering wheel from 5, 6 and 7 are compatible with each other.

I have the wheel, clock spring and button if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:30 PM   #15
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
See post #11. If your steering wheel electronics module only has the small white connector (labeled 'B'), which in your case will be connected to your vibration motor, you'll need to change out the steering wheel electronics that has both the small white connector and the large 4-pin connector (labeled 'C'), which will plug into the steering wheel heater element and thermistor.

On top of the electronics module, you'll need a steering wheel with the heating element and thermistor.

Along with the steering column heater switch....

Then VO code the SZL for heating steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #16
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
See post #11. If your steering wheel electronics module only has the small white connector (labeled 'B'), which in your case will be connected to your vibration motor, you'll need to change out the steering wheel electronics that has both the small white connector and the large 4-pin connector (labeled 'C'), which will plug into the steering wheel heater element and thermistor.

On top of the electronics module, you'll need a steering wheel with the heating element and thermistor.

Along with the steering column heater switch....

Then VO code the SZL for heating steering.
Thanks much. I was thinking it wasn't as simple as adding the button and coding, as it appears the steering wheels are different (unlike the F30).

I'll need to pull it apart to confirm...?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #17
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
I need a little help. I just completed this retrofit, but I can't get my wheel to actually heat. My car did not come with the vibration or heated function, so I ran the power and ground wires to the JBE from the SZL. When I try to turn on the function, the amber heat button illuminates on the side of the column , but the wheel does not heat and the notification does not show up in the 6WB.

I forgot to mention that it VO coded 248 to the Kombi, SZL and HU-CIC and I also checked the 10a fuse 24 and it's good. Also, I swapped out the clockspring for a unit that came with my heated wheel. I have been driving for 2 or 3 weeks with this clockspring and all other functions are working.

What am I missing?
      05-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #18
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Gjohnson7, did you get this sorted or do you still need help?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 12:32 AM   #19
pak1s0ul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson7 View Post
I need a little help. I just completed this retrofit, but I can't get my wheel to actually heat. My car did not come with the vibration or heated function, so I ran the power and ground wires to the JBE from the SZL. When I try to turn on the function, the amber heat button illuminates on the side of the column , but the wheel does not heat and the notification does not show up in the 6WB.

I forgot to mention that it VO coded 248 to the Kombi, SZL and HU-CIC and I also checked the 10a fuse 24 and it's good. Also, I swapped out the clockspring for a unit that came with my heated wheel. I have been driving for 2 or 3 weeks with this clockspring and all other functions are working.

What am I missing?
Hey, Grant, the pin location posted above is wrong for your car they should be:

Applies to: P710 (M Leather steering wheel)

SZL ----------------JBE
A92*1B pin 9 -> Z1*10B pin 8
A92*1B pin 11 -> A34*3B pin 8, posts above mention pin 11 but its wrong pin 11 is not used.

Pin assignments at plug connector A34*3B
Pin Type Description /Signal type Connection /Measuring information

8 M Ground Steering column switch cluster
9 M Ground Steering column switch cluster
10 -- Not used
11 -- Not used

Hope this helps!

Last edited by pak1s0ul; 03-21-2023 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 02:14 PM   #20
mbarron5
Mark Barron
Rep
Drives: Z3 2.0, E39 530i, F11 535d

Does anyone have a part number for an F11 SZL where heating = yes and HBA = no?
Obviously different to F10 part as I need to be able to activate the rear wiper. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 04:43 AM   #21
Feraturion
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 740Li

Quote:

Heat, no HBA (BMW over-the-counter P/N: 61-31-9-354-047 + replacement for #1)
4. Heat, HBA (BMW over-the-counter P/N: 61-31-9-354-048 + replacement for #2)
I have 61319354047, but it has not the connection for the steering wheel heating.
How I get replacement for #1 ?
This steering wheel colum is not available with the connection when I look online for the part number.

Bought an 61319354048 but the car want to program it away with ista, it refuses this steering wheel colum. Thought maybe I only have a useless hba button, but the colum works but is not accepted by the ecu.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 06:25 PM   #22
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feraturion View Post
I have 61319354047, but it has not the connection for the steering wheel heating.
Please take a picture of the clock spring at the 4 O'Clock position. There is a connector at that location and should have 4 pins...every P/N61319354047 I just looked at has this connector populated with pins.....
Appreciate 0