2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Front passenger door lock

03-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Front passenger door lock

All the locks function from the remote and central lock button except for the front passenger. It sounds like something is actuating in that door when we attempt to lock/unlock, but there is no up/down movement from the door lock.

This is for a 2013 550i with soft close doors, but we are having no other issues. Hoping someone has seen this before and can help point me to the proper direction.

Thank you in advance.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Are you able to unlock it by pulling on the inside door handle?

If so, then it sounds like the electronic locking mechanism in the door could be getting stuck. Maybe check the part number and see if it's the same as any of the other doors and swap it to be sure?
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
Are you able to unlock it by pulling on the inside door handle?

If so, then it sounds like the electronic locking mechanism in the door could be getting stuck. Maybe check the part number and see if it's the same as any of the other doors and swap it to be sure?
Yeah, the door will unlock if I pull the handle from the inside. I plan on taking the door apart soon to replace the passenger grab handle as the factory party is breaking down and getting sticky. I appreciate the information.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I just did my drivers door pull because it was getting worn and sticky. I found a replacement on eBay for less than $30 and the quality is on par with the stock one. One more thing to remind me remember how much I enjoy my car.

I would definitely see if you're able to get part numbers to compare the lock actuators from the other doors so you can swap one to make sure that's the issue before spending the money on parts. But because you're able to unlock and open it with the inside handle, it sounds like the actuator has frozen up or failed completely. If you get a new actuator, I highly recommend going through FCP euro. They have good prices, great service, and a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I just did my drivers door pull because it was getting worn and sticky. I found a replacement on eBay for less than $30 and the quality is on par with the stock one. One more thing to remind me remember how much I enjoy my car.

I would definitely see if you're able to get part numbers to compare the lock actuators from the other doors so you can swap one to make sure that's the issue before spending the money on parts. But because you're able to unlock and open it with the inside handle, it sounds like the actuator has frozen up or failed completely. If you get a new actuator, I highly recommend going through FCP euro. They have good prices, great service, and a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell.
I'll dig through realoem to see if I can find the part. It will be my luck that there were 10,000 variants for this due to the different features for the doors.

I am a big fan of fcpeuro for high touch items and for things that can fail often.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 01:36 PM   #6
joako
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels, seats & trunk

Did you ever solve this? Having the same problem on my 2015 528i with soft close doors
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 05:10 PM   #7
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joako View Post
Did you ever solve this? Having the same problem on my 2015 528i with soft close doors
Some of the issues we have had and resolved with our door locks and soft close have either been related to blown fuse or the soft close door lock actuators. If it is the soft close door lock actuator buy them from fcp euro if you are in the US. This part has been a thorn in my side more times than I care to count and thankfully I was able to get FCP Euro to refund the cost after buying the replacement.
Appreciate 0